Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Lucky Norwich - penalty not given!

The MOTD pundits at length came to the conclusion that Stoke deserved a penalty. Perhaps they did, but there was no comment on the fact that Bennett was being held back when he went and hit the crossbar. If he had not been leaning backwards, he would almost certainly have hit the ball slightly lower and, who knows......

The other penalty area incident, which again escaped investigation, was on one of Stoke''s few crosses when Turner received a heavy push in his back and fell to the ground. In the end this failure to be punished didn''t matter as Stoke could not convert the cross, but just imagine if Stoke had scored....?

The Wolf was also being held back after Bennett shot and immediately appealed to the ref. This too was ignored by the puppets on MOTD.

To be fair, the Stoke one was the most contentious and meant the most, hence they commented more on it. I couldn''t give a rats arse if they should have had a penalty, we beat them fair and square as Hughes admitted.

I think MOTD would be improved if they did it with puppets, personally.

Agree though it''s irritating when they ignore decisions not given the other way.  If that sort of thing was given as a penalty, you''d have several per game.

Also I still remember the infamous throw-in decision, given incorrectly in Stoke''s favour and which led directly to their winning goal, a couple of years back.  You win some, you lose some, and I''m pretty sure as a team we get more bad decisions given against us than in our favour, since we''ve been in the Prem.

Maybe someone knows the specific rule on this, but another question should be "could the impeded player have reached the cross?", because if that is relevant, then clearly the answer is "no"...

Remember when we first came up we had some kind of record for the most consecutive penalties awarded against us.

It seems that Hull took note and are looking to steal a penalty at every opportunity.

The awarding of penalties has become a lottery and while people rarely agree with penalties awarded against their team we would probably all settle for consistency

Compare and contrast the two penalty shouts away against Spurs in 2011/12 with the penalty away at Hull.

I think it might be time to do away with penalties, as the game has ''changed'' so muchthe arbitary nature of the awarding of a penalty, makes it inconsistent with out decisions whereby the decision is not so definingplayers know that referees will be put under so much pressure by the endless reshowing of decisions that they will simply do what they can to get a penaltytake away that kick from 12 yards and most players will not fall over so easyyes there needs to be sanctions, but a kick from 12 yards is no longer suitable

Do the laws still require a penalty to be denying a goal scoring opportunity? Unless Jones had spring heels or was suddenly going to grow 3 foot he was never going to score from that cross

Have seen them given and ignored though

Personally I''d like to see some common sense applied - which I feel the referee did.

The tug didn''t deserve the flamboyant flop to the floor.

The ball was ahead of play and Ruddy was there a long time before Jones would not have got there to challenge for the ball. To me the same sort of logic should be applied as corners.

If there is pushing and pulling in the build up to a corner a player can be booked - no penalty given. For me the foul has to be outrageous or preventing a clear goalscoring chance. For me this was off the ball.

In the same way as a striker could hit a defender when the defenders team is about to score. Should play be stopped and a freekick awarded? Ofcourse not.

I also feel, like others, there were much clearer tussles and tugs in their area where players would have had a genuine chance at an effort on goal. They have targeted this one purely because it looks clear.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Do the laws still require a penalty to be denying a goal scoring opportunity? Unless Jones had spring heels or was suddenly going to grow 3 foot he was never going to score from that cross

Have seen them given and ignored though[/quote]

Technically, whether the player can reach the ball or not is immaterial. If a player is held in any way on the pitch then it''s a free kick. If they''re held in the opponents area then it''s a penalty. In practise referees tends to use a bit of disgretion, but on the occasions when somebody is held but wouldn''t get to the ball anyway but a penalty is still awarded then that''s regarded as a soft penalty and managers often get upset.

It has nothing to do with denying a goal scoring opportunity - it is as said aboveDIRECT FREE KICKA

direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits

any of the following six offences in a manner considered by the referee

to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:- kicks or attempts to kick an opponent- trips or attempts to trip an opponent- jumps at an opponent- charges an opponent- strikes or attempts to strike an opponent- pushes an opponentA direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following four offences:- tackles an opponent to gain possession of the ball, making contact with the opponent before touching the ball- holds an opponent- spits at an opponent- handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)A direct free kick is taken from where the offence occurred.PENALTY KICK

A

penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed

by a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of

the ball, provided it is in play.

The problem is folk put far too much store in what is said on the TVMOTD will be put together by ''research assistants'' and the scripts will be written up by script editors/associated script editorsI should imagine the pundits will have a quick scan through their notes/scripts before the transmission and a look at the contentious incidents that will be shown.That is about it.It is not about some balanced coverage of the days games, merely a bit of telly to cause folk to watch againthat''s all

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Do the laws still require a penalty to be denying a goal scoring opportunity? Unless Jones had spring heels or was suddenly going to grow 3 foot he was never going to score from that cross

Have seen them given and ignored though[/quote]

I doubt it has to be goalscoring, it''s any foul in the box i guess when the ball is in open play.

The one thing i could say about it is the classic comparison of someone smacking the ball 10 yards past the keeper and going down from a glove to the foot.

Usually these days, the refs say the ball had/ was going out of play.

Ive no problem, it was a penalty but as said couldnt care less it wasnt given.

Look at the joke of a penalty at hull, all the muppets on motd agreed it wasnt a penalty and we should have been given one at the other.

Its s lottery

[quote user="City1st"]I think it might be time to do away with penalties, as the game has ''changed'' so much

the arbitary nature of the awarding of a penalty, makes it inconsistent with out decisions whereby the decision is not so defining

players know that referees will be put under so much pressure by the endless reshowing of decisions that they will simply do what they can to get a penalty

take away that kick from 12 yards and most players will not fall over so easy

yes there needs to be sanctions, but a kick from 12 yards is no longer suitable

[/quote]

Probably too radical for the lawmakers - but probably one of the best suggestions, alongside goalline technology, to improve the game. It would mean that certain players and coaches (aka cheats) would have to dream up new ways of conning the ref!

Let the direct free kick be taken from where the offence was committed whether in or out of the penalty area. Can''t see too many downsides to this.

Maybe, one could then look at penalties being used to decide the outcome of no score draws!

[quote user="City1st"]It has nothing to do with denying a goal scoring opportunity - it is as said aboveDIRECT FREE KICKA

direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits

any of the following six offences in a manner considered by the referee

to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:- kicks or attempts to kick an opponent- trips or attempts to trip an opponent- jumps at an opponent- charges an opponent- strikes or attempts to strike an opponent- pushes an opponentA direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following four offences:- tackles an opponent to gain possession of the ball, making contact with the opponent before touching the ball- holds an opponent- spits at an opponent- handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)A direct free kick is taken from where the offence occurred.PENALTY KICK

A

penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed

by a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of

the ball, provided it is in play.

The problem is folk put far too much store in what is said on the TVMOTD will be put together by ''research assistants'' and the scripts will be written up by script editors/associated script editorsI should imagine the pundits will have a quick scan through their notes/scripts before the transmission and a look at the contentious incidents that will be shown.That is about it.It is not about some balanced coverage of the days games, merely a bit of telly to cause folk to watch againthat''s all

[/quote]
You''d think they''d add an 11th
Bites an opponent.
Anyway your point about doing away with  penalties is an interesting one.  I remember a number of years back. Can''t remember if it was an American idea, but the suggestion was a 10 second dribble.  Roughly if I remember correctly, it was a dead ball from half way, or a little closer to the opponent''s goal. The ''dribble taker'' had 10 seconds and as many touches as he wished in that time to try and score.