Sign in to follow this  
Marchant

Pinkun article about 20th anniversary of uefa cup.

The Writer asks "were you at the misery in Milan".

Obviously he wasn''t, as I can''t remember any misery as we continued singing until well after the final whistle.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]When we lost in Milan, an I right in thinking kick off was about 2.00pm on Wednesday afternoon? I can remember my mum coming to school and telling the head master I had to go home due to family reasons, before taking me home and letting me watch the game at home![/quote]

You are right about the time.  Think it was a public holiday in Italy, or something like that.

It did kick off at 2. I was in year 8 at school and as i was leaving some Dweeb told me that it was 1-0!

I caught the last few minutes, Ekoku chipping Zenga and the ball going agonisingly wide. Inter were the last decent team left in it that year.. had we of won, who knows...

A young mr Bergkamp played that day, what happened to him I wonder?

I don''t remember any misery. I remember singing for the entire game, doing the conga at the end and draping scarves around the gun toting policemen. I remember Milan fans throwing their scarves and shirts down to us and leaving together, talking in broken English about how lucky Milan were to win. And I remember walking through the airport wearing a scarf and being stopped by several English fans to tell me how proud I should be of my team.

Yes it was gutting to win a game we should have won (isn''t it always) but boy, did we give it a go. And does my memory fail me or did we beat Leeds 2-1 at home in our next game to go 2nd?

Some jealous people used to argue that the Bayern side was weak, however looking at the line-up, it was a very strong side!

GK1Germany Raimond Aumann
RWB2Brazil Jorginho
LWB3Germany Christian ZiegeSubstituted off 60''
CB4Germany Oliver Kreuzer
CB5Germany Thomas Helmer
CM6Germany Christian Nerlinger
CM7Netherlands Jan Wouters
CF8Germany Marcel Witeczek
CF9Colombia Adolfo Valencia
SW10Germany Lothar Matthäus (c)
AM11Germany Mehmet SchollSubstituted off 65''
Substitutes:
GK12Germany Uwe Gospodarek
MF13Germany Michael SternkopfSubstituted in 60''
MF14Germany Olaf Thon
FW15Germany Bruno LabbadiaSubstituted in 65''
FW16Germany Alexander Zickler

Also back then the UEFA only contained teams that finished top3 or 4 really!  Not like now!

Going to have a look at the Inter line-up now!

The Italians puzzled by the chant "We beat the scum one nil!"

The difference from when we arrived being herded by police with guns, to when we left sharing scarves and laughing and joking with them.

City fans are ALWAYS a credit to the club.

[quote user="The Butler"]

The difference from when we arrived being herded by police with guns, to when we left sharing scarves and laughing and joking with them.

[/quote]

Never a truer word!

I was lucky enough to be at both the Vitesse & Munich home & away games, I had to watch the Inter Milan home game on the TV as I couldn''t get a ticket, what really maddened me was the huge amount of corporate tickets that must''ve been available as everyone I knew who worked for Barclays managed to get a ticket through work. I didn''t have the money to go to Milan but I was lucky enough to work for a boss (who was a Man City supporter) who was prepared to let us have the time off, watched the game in the Garnet.

I don''t know if my memory is playing tricks or not. I have a strong recollection of following the Bayern team bus with a very despondent Franz Beckenbauer looking out of the back window, up Fifers lane towards Norwich airport. This was on the morning after the game. Could I be right ?

[quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

I think some of the Italian police were puzzled and a touch embarrassed by our placidity. They had come armed to the teeth, ready for a pitched battle with the Norfolk Ultras, and found they were a bit over-dressed, weapons-wise.

[quote user="snake-eyes"]

Some jealous people used to argue that the Bayern side was weak, however looking at the line-up, it was a very strong side!

GK1Germany Raimond Aumann
RWB2Brazil Jorginho
LWB3Germany Christian ZiegeSubstituted off 60''
CB4Germany Oliver Kreuzer
CB5Germany Thomas Helmer
CM6Germany Christian Nerlinger
CM7Netherlands Jan Wouters
CF8Germany Marcel Witeczek
CF9Colombia Adolfo Valencia
SW10Germany Lothar Matthäus (c)
AM11Germany Mehmet SchollSubstituted off 65''
Substitutes:
GK12Germany Uwe Gospodarek
MF13Germany Michael SternkopfSubstituted in 60''
MF14Germany Olaf Thon
FW15Germany Bruno LabbadiaSubstituted in 65''
FW16Germany Alexander Zickler

Also back then the UEFA only contained teams that finished top3 or 4 really!  Not like now!

Going to have a look at the Inter line-up now!

[/quote]

I''ve spotted myself in one of the photos in the San Siro as a fresh faced teenager......the youth is certainly wasted on the young!

however going back to the quality of this Bayern team debate, yes there''s some big names amongst them but there are a couple who were past their best (Matthaus & Wouters) and a few more that were young and before their prime years (Zeige,Helmer,Scholl,Thon)...of the rest they probably weren''t the best players Munich have ever had?

I''m glad this as been brought up,I was about 8 at the time and have a vivid memory of telling my teacher I needed to get home to watch the game, but recently I''d been thinking I must have been trying it on to get out of school early, (because why would we be playing at 2-3pm midweek

Although I remember the day, I cant remember the game, was it on TV?

Yes the Inter game was at 2pm during the week.  I remember bringing a radio into work to listen to the commentary, it was before we had t''internet.  I got to the home leg against Inter and recorded the away leg and watched it when I got home.  Both legs could so easily have gone the other way.

Also I remember Matthaus having massive sour grapes after we beat Bayern.  Largely because it was his header out that Goss thumped back past the keeper, I think.

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]

Was on BBC

[/quote]

It sure was Frank and the Beeb made us their team to follow in that years competition. I''m sure that decision followed by our performances had a positive and lasting effect increasing our fan base all over the country.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

I was lucky enough to be at both the Vitesse & Munich home & away games, I had to watch the Inter Milan home game on the TV as I couldn''t get a ticket, what really maddened me was the huge amount of corporate tickets that must''ve been available as everyone I knew who worked for Barclays managed to get a ticket through work. I didn''t have the money to go to Milan but I was lucky enough to work for a boss (who was a Man City supporter) who was prepared to let us have the time off, watched the game in the Garnet.

[/quote]

I got mine outside the ground, the police were selling them out of the back of a police van

I remember the Inter Home game... Gossy smashing the bar with Zenga beating... I can remember being in the family enclosure with my mum at the time.. the bar rattled for ages.. Zenga had to put his hand on it at one stage to stop it.

[quote user="Devils Advocate."]I don''t know if my memory is playing tricks or not. I have a strong recollection of following the Bayern team bus with a very despondent Franz Beckenbauer looking out of the back window, up Fifers lane towards Norwich airport. This was on the morning after the game. Could I be right ?[/quote]
Very possibly right. Beckenbauer was definitely at the game as I was sat about 6 seats away from him!!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

I think some of the Italian police were puzzled and a touch embarrassed by our placidity. They had come armed to the teeth, ready for a pitched battle with the Norfolk Ultras, and found they were a bit over-dressed, weapons-wise.

[/quote]

Norfolk Ultras? I like the idea of that Purple!