Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Oldies continue to shine then.

Two of our oldies still cutting it in the Championship. Robert Green goes on and on and will likely be back with QPR in the Premiership next season whilst Jason Shackell is continuing to be the stalwart he always was with us:- 

"Town striker David McGoldrick has been named the Sky Bet Championship Player of the Month for September. The 25-year-old beat fellow nominees Robert Green of QPR, Burnley’s Jason Shackell and Danny Guthrie from Reading." ....... TWTD. 

We would seem to have a growing list of Championship success stories at the moment Vaughan and (hopefully) Butterfield and Holt being the  latest. I could do with the time to list them all here, although I can''t think of any that I would want back at Carrow Road such is our remarkable progress in such a short period  and considering when we were there recently under Grant and Roeder we had trouble filling the side with Championship level players in the first place. Now we have our discards doing well  throughout it.

On a side note, that McGoldrick would seem worth a look at as a player who plays skilfully off the main striker whilst scoring a lot himself. The binmen rave about him and there was even a post of that "Days of Wine and Roses" (whatever they call it) forum comparing McG. with our own RVW. Needless to say they mostly opted for their own, although one or two had the good sense to point out that one was playing in the PL and the other in the Championship, along with other factors. They did, however, seem to get one hell of a good ''freebie'' there.

McCarthy has assembled a team of worthy triers there well capable of maintaining their mid-table status for years to come. McGoldric and Cresswell seem to be the only stand-out performers and both will likely be poached in the next window as Evans seems to have run out of money and they are now one of the paupers of that league and need the cash.

As I say, worth a look at as not all our future signings need be expensive Italian maestros would  likely be both poor and brilliant in equal portions. I would not want us to totally abandon our policy of signing the kind of lower league aspirants that our recent successes have been built upon. One or two decent acquisitions might be on our doorstep. 

I think we should continue to be looking at the stand out players of lower leagues as they "should" always try that little bit harder and appreciate it more. (there will always be exceptions to this)

They do have to have the talent and be of an age that it can be nurtured though. I would argue that if the scouting were to continue to try and pluck the best talent from the Championship that we should be looking at a maximum age of 25, giving us more possibility of a positive return.

I have zero problems with looking abroad, but we should not completely ignore our own doorstep just because of the perceived money savings that can be found in other countries.

Norwich Championship XI

Green

De Laet Whitbread Barnett Tierney

Crofts Fox Surman Butterfield

Holt Vaughan

Also:

Gilks Ward Drury Shackell Morison Martin Vokes Kamara

Well done E4E and a decent team too.

Even more than I had anticipated when I made my original post. Quite a few ''in-betweeners'' there too.

Need not be one way anymore traffic though.

10.27 am TWTD.

Title: "McGoldrick."

"Should we be looking to offer him a new deal now?"

They have their spies out all the time.

(Another reason why I find some of the constant insults and in-fighting on here a pain ..... it demeans us!) 

[quote user="Eadie4England"]Norwich Championship XI Green De Laet Whitbread Barnett Tierney Crofts Fox Surman Butterfield Holt Vaughan Also: Gilks Ward Drury Shackell Morison Martin Vokes Kamara[/quote]

All those central midfielders....looks like Hull away...

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]10.27 am TWTD. Title: "McGoldrick."

"Should we be looking to offer him a new deal now?"[/quote]

"he''s

now demonstrated 5 or 6 times the ability to take on a defender and go

LEFT OR RIGHT before scoring a 20-yarder. There''s not many in the

Premiership who can do that as effortlessly as McG."

WOW! That''s some player they''ve got there. He should be worth ÂŁ20m at least. [:S]

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

10.27 am TWTD.

Title: "McGoldrick."

"Should we be looking to offer him a new deal now?"

They have their spies out all the time.

(Another reason why I find some of the constant insults and in-fighting on here a pain ..... it demeans us!) 

[/quote]Hmmm, so you''ve been TWTD again[:@].You really need to resist that temptation. Although I freely admit I was drawn to the darkside on Tuesday night.I shouldn''t enjoy their pain but sometimes I just can''t help myself.[:D]

[quote user="Eadie4England"]Norwich Championship XI

Green

De Laet Whitbread Barnett Tierney

Crofts Fox Surman Butterfield

Holt Vaughan

Also:

Gilks Ward Drury Shackell Morison Martin Vokes Kamara[/quote]What, no Cody? [:''(] [:''(] [:''(]

Shacks would start ahead of Whitbread on current form, I''d also be tempted to drop Butterfield for Lansbury and play 4-2-3-1

Green

De Laet

Shackell

Barnett

Tierney

Crofts

Fox

Vaughan

Lansbury

Surman

Holt

Maybe Kamara instead of Surman

Either way, what a team for the Championship!

I doubt they''d stay up in the prem though.

A diamond would work well:
                            Green  

De Laet  Barnett  Whitbread  Tierney

Fox

Crofts                Surman

Butterfield
                          Holt  Vaughan

Add Alex Pearce to the team. Good to see goals from Lansbury, Crofts, Martin, Butterfield and Kamara yesterday. Did anyone see the Derby hilights. Good team goal for Martins goal and great back heel from him for their second. Holty is back today too.