Lineup For Chelsea

Now we know injury updates, what would you do

Ruddy

Martin Bassong Turner Olsson

Snodgrass Tettey Fer Pilkington

Howson

RVW

Bunn Bennett Whittaker Johnson Redmond Elmander Hooper

Thats what I expect him to go with. Although possibility of Johnson in for Howson. Which could be a good idea against Chelsea since the likelihood of us actually trying to play football is pretty slim.

I''d go for:

Ruddy

Martin, Turner, Bassong, Olsson

Redmond, Fer, Johnson, Pilkington

Elmander

RVW

Bunn, Whittaker, Bennett, Tettey, Howson, Snoddy, Hooper.

The only changes I''d make from Stoke is Bassong in for Bennett (harsh on Bennett as he played well last week, but Seb is our captain and best defender...), and I''d be so tempted to give Hooper a go from the start up front instead of Ricky, or even Elmander. That extra bit of muscle may be handy against the likes of Terry and Luiz.Redmond as an impact sub in the second half.

Eadie4England wrote the following post at 04/10/2013 6:19 PM:

Now we know injury updates, what would you do

Ruddy

Martin Bassong Turner Olsson

Snodgrass Tettey Fer Pilkington

Howson

RVW

Bunn Bennett Whittaker Johnson Redmond Elmander Hooper

I''d be happy with that Eddy and I recon we could get a result. OTBC

Same team as last week for me, unless Bassong is fully ready to return then he comes in for Bennett.

Same formation as last week, 4-3-3 becoming a 4-1-4-1 without the ball.
                    Ruddy
 Martin   Turner  Bassong Olsson
                     Tettey
                Fer       Howson
     Pilkington Elmander Redmond
1) Bassong has replaced Bennett. Bennett played well against Stoke, but Bassong is a far superior defender, particularly mentally, he reads the game better, something that will be crucial against Chelsea''s attacking midfielders.
2) Striker is difficult. I''ve gone with Elmander purely because I feel a bigger, more physical, striker is needed against Chelsea. RVW played well against Stoke in the first half when we had lots of the ball, but is clearly not suited to play as an ''out ball'' when the team is under pressure. Seeing as we''re playing against Chelsea, it wouldn''t surprise me if we have to play more long balls which Elmander is more suited to. Although you could expect any of our strikers to start.
3) I''ve replaced Redmond for Snodgrass purely on personal preference. Snodgrass is playing poorly at the minute (although he did start looking better as the game went on against Stoke...) and I feel that we need the pace he can bring to the side, particularly so we can stop their right full back pushing forward. If we can concern him with Redmond he won''t push forward as much, making the defensive job easier on us.

Actually i''ve changed my mind, i''d like to see the following line up, although it will involve the creation of a cloning machine pretty soon.

Ruddy

Johnson Johnson Johnson

Johnson Johnson

Johnson Johnson

Johnson

Hooper Wolfswinkle

With five Johnson''s, Bunn and Fer on the bench.

I would also love to see both Hooper and RVW up front together and allow them to play off each other.[Y]

On a different note I''m hoping Mourinho continues his bizarre benching of Mata on Sunday.

[quote user="Olly"]On a different note I''m hoping Mourinho continues his bizarre benching of Mata on Sunday.[/quote]

That would be nice but Chelsea have got one or two other guys who are quite good at football.

Probably hoping for Eto''o upfront because he hasn''t really looked like he''s cut out for this level anymore. But then it''s probably unwise to write-off a player of that calibre.

I think we need to break up this little Martin/Snodgrass partnership that we seem to have going on.
So I''d play Whittaker+Snodgrass or Martin+Redmond on the right.
Think we are going to need pace to counter on the break, so I''d like to see Olsson+Pilkington, Martin+Redmond. That is one very fast player on each side of the pitch. 
If we must play Snodgrass then I''d play Whittaker at right back, because we need somebody who can cross on that side and it isn''t going to be Snodgrass. Whittaker is a better crosser than Martin.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Olly"]On a different note I''m hoping Mourinho continues his bizarre benching of Mata on Sunday.[/quote]

That would be nice but Chelsea have got one or two other guys who are quite good at football.

Probably hoping for Eto''o upfront because he hasn''t really looked like he''s cut out for this level anymore. But then it''s probably unwise to write-off a player of that calibre.

[/quote]
I think 153 minutes of Premier League football is almost certainly too early to write off a three time Champions league winner who has a goal to game ratio of 1 goal in every 1.88 games in his career and scored 9 goals in European competition just last season!

As fine as the performance against Stoke was I would bring all three straight back in as they were all in form and are better than the alternatives for this game.

Bassong is our most influential defender,  Redmond has started the season very brightly and showed against Watford that he can find a city player from the right flanks,  something Snoddy has yet to do (but will do as the season progresses) and Garrido is a better defender.

I dont think Johnson is needed in place of Howson,  who should start again.

Dont expect to see this but my team would be

Ruddy

Martin  Bassong  Turner  Garrido

Fer  Tettey

Redmond   Howson   Pilkington

RvW 

Subs

Bunn  Whittaker Olsson Johnson Snodgrass Elmander Hooper

I think you might see Garrido back in, assuming he is fit, personally I would prefer to see Olsson starting.

Hi New Boy,

Take a look at the stats and you''ll find RM is our most productive defender, I tend to agree with you and I would play Russ and Redmond.

Accurate Passes per Game = RM (55.3), JG (37.2), SW (33.4), MT (33.2), RB (29.5), SB (21.3)

Accurate Crosses per Game = RM (0.5), JG (0.4), SW (0.2), SB (0.0), MT (0.0), RB (0.0)

Accurate Long Balls per Game = RM (4.8), MT(2.0), SW (1.8), SB (1.3), JG (1.2), RB (1.0)

I would keep the same team as last week, except for Snodgrass being replaced by Redmond. I think that we need some pace to keep the Chelsea left side defence quiet. At the very least I would bring Redmond on as a substitute as soon as it seems clear that Snodgrass is still a little off form.

I think that one of the reasons that RvW is receiving poor service is that our attacks down the right are slow and culminate with Snodgrass cutting inside and crossing with his left foot - much easier for the defence, much harder for RvW. Whereas, if Redmond can get to the by-line he can pull the ball back to the oncoming RvW - much easier for the striker, harder for defenders.

If Bassong is completely fit, there may be a case for recalling him, but Bennett had a good game last week so why not give Seb a few more days to recover?

lincoln canary wrote the following post at 04/10/2013 7:16 PM:

Ruddy

Whittaker Bennett Bassong Olsson

Tettey Fer

Redmond Hoolahan Pilkington

Hooper

Not gona happen but that''s the 11 I''d like to see.

Chunky Norwich wrote the following post at 05/10/2013 9:04 AM:

I very much like the look of Lincoln Canary''s team

This team amazes me!

After a good performance at Stoke five of the starting eleven are dropped!

Whittaker comes in for Martin

Bassong comes in for Turner

Redmond comes in for Snodgrass

Hoolahan comes in for Howson

Hooper comes in for RvW.

It''s a good job we didn''t lose - it would probably been all eleven.

Martin or Whittaker? Martin has the edge for me at the moment, especially against a team that will be attacking us for much of the match.

Bassong for Turner? I would agree that if Bass is fit he should come in but Turner has been our best defender for the last 20 or 30 games. Hard on Bennett but he would/should bethe one to make way.

Redmond for Snodgrass? I actually have no problem with this one as I detest a winger who cannot provide a service behind the opposition defence and Snodgrass has neither the pace nor the trickery to do this.

Hoolahan for Howson? How many times has Hoolahan to prove that he gives the ball away too often and no longer provides the spark that he used to?

Hooper for RvW? Anyone who could not see the class of RvW last week, and how he continually had to feed on scraps because of the service (especially from the right) and feels that he deserves to be dropped amazes me.

Sorry, I wasn''t saying drop any players and I wasn''t really comparing to last week. I was just merely meaning that I quite like the balance of that side and it looks pretty decent on paper; two attacking fullbacks, some real steel in front of the back four and some very attacking midfielders playing on their correct feet behind a decent goal-scorer.''Twas all I meant

I got the formation and gameplan right last week, but suspect that this time we''ll see us sit a bit further back and try and hit on the break more.I think Hughton will probably go for the same 4-1-4-1 formation that was used at Stoke, but without the high pressing. I expect it''ll be a bit like the Arsenal win last season, but hopefully with us being able to break more quickly and effectively. The personel will likely be the more experienced of our squad who have played together more while keeping the continuity from the previous game as much as possible.Hughton may well put Bassong back into central defence at the expense of Bennett, who despite doing pretty well recently may find himself dropped completely to allow for more options in other areas. Martin could move over if one of the central pair have to withdraw and Garrido may well come back in place of Olssen. It could be that Olssen remains, so that there is only one change (ie Bassong for Bennett), but I''d favour Hughton to go for Garrido''s experience.There''s no room really for the less experienced squad members like Redmond or the Murphy lad, both of whom would be less defensive minded. Pilkington and Snodgrass remain with Olssen and Whittaker covering both the wingers and full backs as necessary.Johnson, Hoolahan and Elmander provide a good mix of different options for the midfield, with the latter covering Van Wolfswinkel up front along with Hooper. Van Wolfswinkel gets the nod for his movement being able to keep the Chelsea defence occupied.Hughton will go for experience and defensive qualities while trying to keep the nucleus of the team from the Stoke game. That game could be viewed as a good dress rehearsal for Chelsea, but now we have the option to add experience to the back line.                             RuddyMartin      Turner      Bassong     Garrido                             TetteySnodgrass    Howson      Fer    Pilkington                       Van Wolfswinkel

Subs: Bunn, Olssen, Whittaker, Hooper, Johnson, Elmander, Hoolahan