Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Results going against us - pressure mounting

[quote user="I.S."]And the same Chris Martin who''s scored 6 in 11 for them this season, and nearly 1 in 3 for us? Say, how many did Cody score for Coventry?[/quote]

Dunno, but he''s banning them in for Gillingham!

I think Saturday''s results tell you a number of things. Firstly, while the result at Hull was very disappointing they aren''t going to be the league''s whipping boys. West Ham experienced very similar issues to us. They conceded an early penalty and then were unable to break through despite monopolising possession (albeit against 11 rather than 10) . It also tells us that this is the most open title race in years. The reason for that is because I wouldn''t class any of the 6 champions league "contenders" as being a great side. So there is no reason these teams cannot be beaten, particularly at home.

Obviously it is never nice to see rival teams pick up unexpected points. However, it is ultimately about Norwich City picking up points and not relying on other people. If we hit that 40 point mark it is very likely we will be a Premiership side again next season. That has been good enough in 17 of the 18 seasons since the Premiership became a 20 club division. I am very confident it will be enough again which makes the rest irrelevant really.

[quote user="Cambridge Yellow"]

I think Saturday''s results tell you a number of things. Firstly, while the result at Hull was very disappointing they aren''t going to be the league''s whipping boys. West Ham experienced very similar issues to us. They conceded an early penalty and then were unable to break through despite monopolising possession (albeit against 11 rather than 10) . It also tells us that this is the most open title race in years. The reason for that is because I wouldn''t class any of the 6 champions league "contenders" as being a great side. So there is no reason these teams cannot be beaten, particularly at home.

Obviously it is never nice to see rival teams pick up unexpected points. However, it is ultimately about Norwich City picking up points and not relying on other people. If we hit that 40 point mark it is very likely we will be a Premiership side again next season. That has been good enough in 17 of the 18 seasons since the Premiership became a 20 club division. I am very confident it will be enough again which makes the rest irrelevant really.

[/quote]

On current form, we''ll need a 50 match season to reach 40 points.

[quote user="grefstad"]We may be cut of from the rest of the pack with losses against Stoke and Ars/Chels. At the moment, even Villa are beating Man C, Hull winning again, etc. Soon we will be firmly planted in the relegation zone. Hughton will be interview on Sky, and he will say in a calm manner that it was always going to be a long hard season. He asks us not to panic. Even 10 points from safety in December he will tell us not to panic. Must beat Stoke now, just to keep up with the rest. The outlook is bleak.[/quote]

It was not supposed to be a long hard season after what we had spent, I''m pretty sure the Board did not envisage us fighting relegation for most of the season....

It does appear that both Hull and Villa are currently enjoying more than their fair share of good fortune. Hull have won 2 home games one nil due to penalties that should not have been given and then bus parking tactics of the highest order. They won''t keep this luck up all season but will the early points they have amassed give them enough breathing space as happened with us in our first season? Villa similarly have picked up 6 points in a week from 2 games they really could have lost.

The suspicion remains though that Lambert is a manager who makes his own luck whereas the Hoot simply isn''t. More than anything else today we need a decent performance with signs of a coherent team emerging. Another dismal defeat and I''m afraid he can pack his bags.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

The suspicion remains though that Lambert is a manager who makes his own luck whereas the Hoot simply isn''t. More than anything else today we need a decent performance with signs of a coherent team emerging. Another dismal defeat and I''m afraid he can pack his bags.[/quote]

Agree completely.

It is something with the lack of confidence in the teams ability Hoots sends out to the players. You would never see Lambert playing for a draw, or accepting a 1-1 draw against similar or poorer teams than us, as Hughton so often have done.

With time, this attitude is breaking down the players confidence, and his constant pre-match bigging up of other teams can not be very good on our players either.

Villa and Hull have been very lucky so far this season, yes. In Villas case, they have been a bit unlucky with inuries, but Lambert seem to be able to rally the troops, which is something I dont see Hughton doing, as he is too calm and collected, all the time.

I know, and all of us know, that we can beat Stoke almost any day if the players have belief and are allowed to express themselves

Having to play with shackles on every game does not breed confidence, and surely Hughton must be able to see this?

I´m not so sure though.

Lose today (espescially in a dour manner), and I hope McNasty will do something.

A few yellows in the ground car park already :-) let''s hope Hughton manages to find the formula that gets more than the sum of the parts and the team playing to its potential rather than revisiting our recent levels of performance.

Results going against usOh I don''t think so - Fulham lost, West Ham lost, Palace lost, Swansea lost, Sunderland losing (& unlikely to come back) and Stoke lost.A Newcastle defeat tomorrow night & it''s not been a bad weekend especially as we won.

[quote user="RvWs 4 year contract"][quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]"We''re not actually in the bottom people!"

If we lose 2-0 today we will be[/quote]

It''s good that we''re going to win then isnt it!!!!

Keep the faith people....[/quote]

Great post. Great prediction [Y]

Why would we be gutted?

Good win, but even with the win, results in recent weeks have not been going for us.

Cardiffs last minute winner was no good, as a draw between our lower table rivals is always good for us ( 1 less point dished out).

Without the win today we would be firmly in the mire. Thankfully the boys produced, even though Stoke were really, really poor

[quote user="grefstad"]Why would we be gutted?

Good win, but even with the win, results in recent weeks have not been going for us.

Cardiffs last minute winner was no good, as a draw between our lower table rivals is always good for us ( 1 less point dished out).

Without the win today we would be firmly in the mire. Thankfully the boys produced, even though Stoke were really, really poor[/quote]

Without our 7 points from 6 games we would be bottom on 0 points.Everyone we beat is really poor.I fancy their will be quite a few really poor teams this season.

Good lord, what''s with the paranoia today. Another thread with a contributor reading things into comments that aren''t there.

Ok, Stoke looked bad today but maybe that''s because we msde them look bad in the first half and while giving up possession in the 2nd half, we completely shut them down. But ricardo, gref didn''t say our win over Soton was against a poor team. Heck, they''re top 6 right now.

The problem is (or was, now it''s been taken care of) (hopefully) the losses to out of form, inferior teams.

With 2 road wins in 5 days, there''s no reason to think the corner hasn''t been turned.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Good lord, what''s with the paranoia today. Another thread with a contributor reading things into comments that aren''t there.

Ok, Stoke looked bad today but maybe that''s because we msde them look bad in the first half and while giving up possession in the 2nd half, we completely shut them down. But ricardo, gref didn''t say our win over Soton was against a poor team. Heck, they''re top 6 right now.

The problem is (or was, now it''s been taken care of) (hopefully) the losses to out of form, inferior teams.

With 2 road wins in 5 days, there''s no reason to think the corner hasn''t been turned.[/quote]There are always corners, football has never been anything else than ups and downs.My point is that you saw a corner that wasn''t really there.[:D]

I think the way we''ve played the last couple of games is a huge corner. The strategy at Spurs and Tigers was so different.

Chops, you liked my comment so much you singled it out to repeat it. It''s nice to he acknowledged by posters of your usual quality.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Houston Canary"]Good lord, what''s with the paranoia today. Another thread with a contributor reading things into comments that aren''t there.

With 2 road wins in 5 days, there''s no reason to think the corner hasn''t been turned.[/quote]There are always corners, football has never been anything else than ups and downs.My point is that you saw a corner that wasn''t really there.[:D][/quote]

That feckin'' hotel''s still there though. And it''s a handy stand by when there''s nothin'' else to moan about...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Houston Canary"]Good lord, what''s with the paranoia today. Another thread with a contributor reading things into comments that aren''t there.

With 2 road wins in 5 days, there''s no reason to think the corner hasn''t been turned.[/quote]There are always corners, football has never been anything else than ups and downs.My point is that you saw a corner that wasn''t really there.[:D][/quote]

That feckin'' hotel''s still there though. And it''s a handy stand by when there''s nothin'' else to moan about...

[/quote]Must be Hughton''s fault. Someone should quiz him about it at the Fans ForumLooks like being a dull affair now after todays result[:(]

So it is Hughton''s fault when we lose but to today it was Stoke''s fault we won because they were poor ?

I think you''re beginning to understand how this works TIL.My theory for what it''s worth is that since it was such a lovely day, Stoke decided to have a day on the beach.

perhaps he is a linesman