Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Results going against us - pressure mounting

[quote user="grefstad"]Well, all you Hughton lovers, let me remind you that we have had the easiest looking season opening for many decades, yet we have amassed very few points.

The only game we expected nothing from was Tottenham.

All the rest could have been better.

Losing against Hull and Villa were low points
We should at least draw against sides like that as they are assumed to be around us in the table come May.[/quote]Spot on, it should have been better.

[quote user="grefstad"]Well, all you Hughton lovers, let me remind you that we have had the easiest looking season opening for many decades, yet we have amassed very few points.

The only game we expected nothing from was Tottenham.

All the rest could have been better.

Losing against Hull and Villa were low points We should at least draw against sides like that as they are assumed to be around us in the table come May.[/quote]

Everton beat Chelsea at home, Villa beat Man City today and Hull are playing very well at home. You''ve already mentioned Spurs.

I''m not making excuses, just making the point that we''ve played some teams in good early season form.

ricardo wrote the following post at 2013-09-28 9:44 PM:

grefstad wrote:

Well, all you Hughton lovers, let me remind you that we have had the easiest looking season opening for many decades, yet we have amassed very few points. The only game we expected nothing from was Tottenham. All the rest could have been better. Losing against Hull and Villa were low points We should at least draw against sides like that as they are assumed to be around us in the table come May.

Spot on, it should have been better.

And we all know why it wasn''t better - some just don''t accept it!

[quote user="City 2nd"]ricardo wrote the following post at 2013-09-28 9:44 PM:

grefstad wrote:

Well, all you Hughton lovers, let me remind you that we have had the easiest looking season opening for many decades, yet we have amassed very few points. The only game we expected nothing from was Tottenham. All the rest could have been better. Losing against Hull and Villa were low points We should at least draw against sides like that as they are assumed to be around us in the table come May.

Spot on, it should have been better.

And we all know why it wasn''t better - some just don''t accept it![/quote]

Best tell CH then, he might appreciate your advice.

"I''m not making excuses, just making the point that we''ve played some teams in good early season form."

-----------

This is another thing which has not served us well so far.

We seem to always play teams who are in form against us.

Playing Man U now would be good, as WBA found out today, but no, we play Man U during Xmas and in the last weeks of the season, when Man U are dead bang in form.

Thats bad luck.

So, as the season pans out, the points you get from your own games, the points other teams loses from drawing games (and beating eachother), AND the timing when you play certain teams (like playing newlly promoted teams early in the season) will eventually have a huge say on the survival chances for teams like us, who rely on margins and Hoots calculated defensive game to survive.

Thats my main worry. We dont make our own luck, we just wait for something to happen to be benefitial to us.

We will not be as lucky as we were last season.

Some of you seem to believe we survived "in style" last season, and some seem to think our 11th place was an improvement on the 12th place under Lambert.

Yes, it was improvement table wise, but certainly not in releation to our playing style, our confidence, and overall progression.

We were lucky with other teams results, and Hughton seemed to rely on other teams failings from January an onwards.

ricardo wrote the following post at 2013-09-28 9:58 PM:

City 2nd wrote:

ricardo wrote the following post at 2013-09-28 9:44 PM: grefstad wrote: Well, all you Hughton lovers, let me remind you that we have had the easiest looking season opening for many decades, yet we have amassed very few points. The only game we expected nothing from was Tottenham. All the rest could have been better. Losing against Hull and Villa were low points We should at least draw against sides like that as they are assumed to be around us in the table come May. Spot on, it should have been better. And we all know why it wasn''t better - some just don''t accept it!

Errr, only the last sentence is mine and I''m pretty sure CH doesn''t want my advice, he knows much more than most, I mean as many of you say in defending his tactics, gung-Ho does not bring results!

City2nd

We alll know that hung-ho over the cause of the season would likely not serve us well.

My problem is that Hughton seem to play the same system, same personell, same shit, when we play Cardiff or Hull, as he would if we were playing Man U or Arsenal.

He needs tactical flexibility, but has not got it at all.

And, in some games it would be correct of us to play gung ho. Against lesser teams around us at home we need to play to win, and if that means gung ho, then so be it.

Home or away against superior sides Im sure every supporter would accept a more cautious approach.

grefstad wrote the following post at 2013-09-28 10:13 PM:

City2nd

We alll know that hung-ho over the cause of the season would likely not serve us well.

Why not - it worked to very good effect v WBA and Man City last season!

And I would suggest you may just win more than you lose?

[URL=http://media.photobucket.com/user/Cash4343/media/DSC_0277.jpg.html][IMG]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/Cash4343/DSC_0277.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Looks like the usual suspects are circling this thread waiting for 3.15pm tomorrow.

Looking at other results this early in the season is a pointless exercise. Who knows what a good result will be for us in our own context come the end of the season. For instance what is a good result for us of the Fulham - Cardiff game, we really have no idea at this point of the season.
It also builds a mentality that we can only survive with the help of others - which is totally negative thinking.
What we need to focus on is getting our own points. If we get around 40 we will most likely survive. If we get say 8 more we will have had a good season. Yes we have not had as good a start to the season as we may have liked. With our upcoming fixtures it could well even look worse, but that does not mean that we can not or will not get the points that we require.
OTBC

[quote user="grefstad"]"I''m not making excuses, just making the point that we''ve played some teams in good early season form."

-----------

This is another thing which has not served us well so far.

We seem to always play teams who are in form against us.

Playing Man U now would be good, as WBA found out today, but no, we play Man U during Xmas and in the last weeks of the season, when Man U are dead bang in form.

Thats bad luck.

So, as the season pans out, the points you get from your own games, the points other teams loses from drawing games (and beating eachother), AND the timing when you play certain teams (like playing newlly promoted teams early in the season) will eventually have a huge say on the survival chances for teams like us, who rely on margins and Hoots calculated defensive game to survive.

Thats my main worry. We dont make our own luck, we just wait for something to happen to be benefitial to us.

We will not be as lucky as we were last season.

Some of you seem to believe we survived "in style" last season, and some seem to think our 11th place was an improvement on the 12th place under Lambert.

Yes, it was improvement table wise, but certainly not in releation to our playing style, our confidence, and overall progression.

We were lucky with other teams results, and Hughton seemed to rely on other teams failings from January an onwards.[/quote]

We started poorly last season. And finished 11th.

It''s not looking good I''m afraid. When we play teams is irrelevant. We should be picking up points against Hull and Villa, whenever we play them. The good run we had last season is what kept us up. At this rate, we''ll be saying that it was these results, early in the season that sent us down. And yes, I''m panicking.

Glancing at the table tonight, I must say Villa & Hull are looking handsome right now. Neither of those sides are more talented than Norwich - they just have a different expectations from their leadership team...

City 2nd, Looking at the stats it seems that neither Hull or Villa ''went gung ho'''', 40% and 33 % possession at home respectively, and Hull got a dodgy pen again-seems like both sides were very lucky to win.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]Glancing at the table tonight, I must say Villa & Hull are looking handsome right now. Neither of those sides are more talented than Norwich - they just have a different expectations from their leadership team...[/quote]

Exactly![Y]

[quote user="Mr Angry"]City 2nd, Looking at the stats it seems that neither Hull or Villa ''went gung ho'''', 40% and 33 % possession at home respectively, and Hull got a dodgy pen again-seems like both sides were very lucky to win.[/quote]Anyone who watched those games would agree with you but I am sorry, that kind of opinion won''t wash on this forum tonight.

As far as I can make out those who worry about Hoots are not particularly concerned so much with the results to date but the seeming lack of tactical nous.

This seems to result in the lack of off the ball movement, the slow, robotic and inaccurate passing from defence going er forward. Then the slow reaction when changes are required and baffling subs. Hoots and the Trollope standing immobile on touchline when we are 1 nil down having stared at a piece of paper for the last 30 minutes.

We are all desperate to stay in this division. If we win tomorrow then bloody great but just as important is how we play and that we show the TV watching public that we are truly a decent side.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="JF"]Nigel Clough has just gone![/quote]

Got to say I did not see that one coming.

[/quote]

Neither did I!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="JF"]Nigel Clough has just gone![/quote]

Got to say I did not see that one coming.

[/quote]

Neither did I!

[/quote]

Nor did he![:P]

[quote user="Highland Canary"]If you can''t be a great manager then you need to be a lucky manager. Looks like Cloughie''s luck just ran out.[/quote]Somehow I thought his luck would run out as soon as he signed a certain Chris Martin.

And the same Chris Martin who''s scored 6 in 11 for them this season, and nearly 1 in 3 for us?

Say, how many did Cody score for Coventry?