Sign in to follow this  
Redders Right Foot

Can't be prouder.

the fact that we''re all so incredibly disappointed with losing 1-3 to chelsea tells the entire story. we were terrific today. hoots subs were spot on and we good competition against arguably the best team in the league. it was a slip up by tettey and ruddy for their second and a wonder strike for the third.

the players and management will be heart broken, as we all are. but is that bad? not at all. they will take this feeling and remember it for arsenal. play like we did today and we have a great chance of taking at least one point.

terrific game lads. Fer and redmond showed their class again, and wolfswinkel looks much improved.

Hughton growing in to his team, too.

Cannot agree about the subs , Chelseas changes won them the game we changed striker for striker and winger for winger .Decent performance but still too many sloppy mistakes and Ruddy was awful today .

Agreed. It feels like a right kick in the gut!! And we played one of the best teams in the league. With this formation i have no doubt a top half finish could be achieved.

putting on a second striker would of been a death call. chelsea were playing 3-5-2 towards the end, so yes, we would of had two strikers against 3 defenders, but we wouldn''t get close to the box because we''d never have the ball. chelsea can afford to do that with the players they have.

Canaryone, I take your point about the sloppy mistakes but not the subs.

However I agree with the OP entirely.

CH has found his formation and best team/subs and the lads were fantastic in the second half.

A poor corner, failure to clear and a goalkeeping error at the end was really the only thing that stopped us getting points from one of the best squads in Europe.

That little bit of class won the day ,and also it was a good demonstration of what usually happens when you do go for the win, rather than try and defend the point against a team like Chelsea with a Manager like Mourinho. A terrific performance all round by City, we should all be proud!  

Totally agree. The best I''ve seen us look under Hughton and the subs made perfect sense as the game was getting stretched and they had three at the back.

It didn''t work out but I hope that doesn''t make Hughton regret the moves he made. I was delighted to see us go for it rather than try to protect the 1-1.

I still think we''d have lost that game trying to defend it out.

We looked a premier league team today.

I thought we played some good stuff at times. redmond is a very exciting player, and leroy is a beast. i thought howson had a good game too in his new more attacking position. wonder if tettey will be dropped after that mistake though, that said, he did well to be back there to cover in the first place.

i''m obviously gutted that we lost, but as the OP said, we did well to be ''in it'' for so long. before the game i was dreading a 4-0 no show performance.

This pride at the performance is all well and good but we deserved to lose that match. Hughton has just said so:"I doubt there was anybody watching who did not feel we did not deserve anything

from the game."

There''s been some good progress in the fluency of passing, but still a lot to work on. We looked quite good on the break at times but still hold it up too long and telegraph our intentions a bit too often. As is the case for several seasons now, we still cannot play it through the middle to the striker.We got undone by being hit on the break (similar to Villa); perhaps if we were better at shooting or threading it through we could avoid putting too many high up against the top teams and rely more on knock backs and poor clearances.We got knocked down early doors, came back and then because of overconfidence got hit by a good counterpunch.

How can you say the subs were good??

Get a goal back.

Being on a like for like striker.

Take off snodgrass for Redmond who can''t defend.

So that means pilks and Redmond are both weak links down either side of the pitch on the counter attacks.

He had Bennett to bring on as another defender to get the point.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]This pride at the performance is all well and good but we deserved to lose that match. Hughton has just said so:

"I doubt there was anybody watching who did not feel we did not deserve anything from the game."[/quote]

Good spot Purple. After someone corrects his grammar, I wonder what he would say at the second time of asking. Hughton out. [:D]

[quote user="alartz"]How can you say the subs were good??

Get a goal back.

Being on a like for like striker.

Take off snodgrass for Redmond who can''t defend.

So that means pilks and Redmond are both weak links down either side of the pitch on the counter attacks.

He had Bennett to bring on as another defender to get the point.[/quote]

So you would have wanted him to bring an extra defender on?

No doubt you would then be slaughtering him on here for saying how negative he was..... joker

Brilliant subs today, Ricky had run himself in to the ground as had Snoddy, Redmond came on and really got at the Chelsea defence and at one point it looked like we were the likely team to go on and win it, another day we would have done.

Great effort by the whole team and Hughton was very unlucky that his positive substitutions didn''t quite come off.

Wow, hughton can''t win, can he?

if he had brought on whittaker, johnson, and benno, I bet you would of been up in flames of sitting back and accepting a hopeful 1-1 when we were on the upper foot.

the substitutions didnt really make a lot of difference, the poor corner which was crossed away from the goal and led to the Chelsea counter attack and goal is what cost the point/s. Terrible set piece

God you lot are small time. So we played well, but we still lost, 3-1, due to awful errors. You make us sound like a non league club away at Old Trafford. West Ham just won away at Spurs 3-0, which according to many on here after our dismal 1-0 defeat, was near impossible. West Brom just held arsenal to a 1-1 draw. Yet we lose 3-1 to Chelsea and we should be jumping from the roof tops, and full of pride. Why? City 1st is right about ever so ''umble norwich fans if this site is anything to go by. Embarrasing. As for Chelsea''s 2nd goal, it was an abomination. A combination of our continually dismal set pieces and the ever error prone alex tettey. Yes he can look excellent at times but too often his clumsy touch and passing is a liabilty and proved so once again by costing us a game we looked liked winning at that point. Not good enough. No doubt i''ll be accused of scapegoating by ricardo and his ilk. Unfortunately Johnson isn''t any better and the defensive mid position is one that desperately needs looking at in january. So yes a peformance with positives no doubt. But ultimately another defeat, chelsea or not, that leaves us in the bottom 3. Sorry for not feeling full of pride and joy right now, perhaps i expect a little more than most on here. It seems the ''little ''ol Norwich'' mentality of our fans is alive and kicking around these parts.

Maybe people are just being realistic. We came up against a real high quality squad, gave them a proper game and were undone by a couple of costly errors. Sometimes that happens in football. Rather today''s loss than the complete no show at Spurs.

It''s a fixture we all probably write off, yet we probably could have gotten 3 points, hence the disappointment!

As sir Alex recently said its better to go down 3-1 then lose 1-0! We gave it a go ans did our selves proud OTBC

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]That little bit of class won the day ,and also it was a good demonstration of what usually happens when you do go for the win, rather than try and defend the point against a team like Chelsea with a Manager like Mourinho. A terrific performance all round by City, we should all be proud!  [/quote]eh ?what on earth did Murinho have to do with itput a jinx on Tettey, or cause Ruddy to let the ball slip under himI know there''s plenty of stuff flying around about the flouncey one and alleged undo influence regarding results but I doubt that happened here

We were unlucky. We had them on the ropes up till the second goal for a sustained period of time and it could have been 2-1 to us. i would have bet on us to have held out at that pointsotherwise " A terrific performance all round by City, we should all be proud!" is exactly my thoughts

I can''t pretend that I wasn''t disappointed at the end. I thought we got a bit too gung ho and allowed ourselves to get caught out by that quick break. You don''t always get what you deserve but I feel we should have made sure we kept the point once we got back to all square. Playing well and losing is not a good habit to get into.

"Playing well and losing is not a good habit to get into."however it is a step in the right direction from "Playing badly and losing" which was what happened too many times beforewe were unlucky, silly mistake .. that''s allwe were right to go for the second goal, there was around 25 mins to go (inc added time) it would have been absurd to try and defend that score at that point

[quote user="City1st"]"Playing well and losing is not a good habit to get into."however it is a step in the right direction from "Playing badly and losing" which was what happened too many times beforewe were unlucky, silly mistake .. that''s allwe were right to go for the second goal, there was around 25 mins to go (inc added time) it would have been absurd to try and defend that score at that point

[/quote]Agreed we might well have got another goal while Chelsea were rocking.I was thinking more of the last 5 minutes and all that good working being thrown away. It was bad enough for the supporters but you could see the disappointment on the players faces. It takes a bit of lifting after a kick in the guts like that and CH will have his work cut out in that respect.

I have great pride in that performance. Until the mistake I thought we''d go on to win. Mistakes get punished everytime at this level. But I think supporters are right to feel proud this evening. Proud that we got the ball down and played good football matching Chelsea for long periods. Proud that we got ourselves back into the game and tried to be positive throughout. And proud that when we sniffed a win we were brave enough to go for it.

I really so wonder at times with some posters on here.

Hoots goes for it against a top team and he gets slagged off.

I for one applaud the teams effort and hoots for giving it a right good go as lambert would have said.

If we approach every game like this i am sure we will finish mid table again.

Well done hoot and the boys chin up.

"I was thinking more of the last 5 minutes and all that good working being thrown away. It was bad enough for the supporters but you could see the disappointment on the players faces. It takes a bit of lifting after a kick in the guts like that and CH will have his work cut out in that respect"

Yes the players were dispndant as we all were, but I am sure they like us realise that we were unlucky. The disappointment comes because we played so well and got nothing.

I am sure the players realise they did a good job, to be disappointed after a performance like that is a good and positive emotion, something we can build on in training to add further motivation.

Things are changing, our approach to the game is more positive, players seemingly more comfortable in their positions, improved confidence, we are not far away from being a good side and getting some exciting results.

Well done CH.

ricardo, I hope & believe that the long term effects of that game will be a positive one. Once the disappointment of losing has subsided, we will all see how close we came & that we can beat any team - not that we always will - but we always CAN. This is the message I believe Hughton should be bringing to his players.

And, of course, the dire necessity of maintaining concentration, lest all your hard work go to waste.

Our trajectory is still firmly upwards - not in a consistent straight line, but definitely rising. I don''t think we''ll be in any serious trouble this season.

OTBC!!!

I honestly can''t believe some people on here, certainly there is nothing any manager can do to make them happy.

I guess I would generally fall on the pant wetter side of the fence (I''ve said previously 10 points is the minimum our manager should achieve in 10 games to keep his job)

I would happily watch this Norwich team play like that regardless of where we finish in the league. I cannot fault any of the substitutions as has been said players had run themselves into the ground.

Surely we will win more than we lose playing like we did yesterday. Yes we made some errors but I was as proud yesterday as I was disgusted with the no show at Spurs.

Looking forward to my first trip to the Emirates a lot more than I was a week ago, more of the same please.

Yep, that was a very good effort from the lads and we deserved at least a point from it. Mind you, they were inspired sustitutions from Mourinho and a bit of a gamble as well. Against a lesser team we would most probably have won. Keep up those sort of team performances and we should be safe this year.