Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

Newmarket Road

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

It''s like last of the summer wine on here tonight...

I''m outa here for my Horlicks... [C][S]

[/quote]Ship Inn

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]The ad I remember most vividly is "the H. Samuel Everight watch." I''m assuming that''s crystal clear in your minds as well. Any others?[/quote]

How about the "Ovalteenies" ditty Yankee? [:D]
[/quote]

Yes Lapp, I remember the Ovaltine one, however, I can''t place it in my mind at the same Sunday time period as Ricardo referred to leading up to the 11 p.m. Top Twenty. In that regard the "H. Samuel" one is clearly embedded in my head. It''s strange how some things are while others are not. 

Graham Paddon had the Ship at South Walsham and Billy Steele had the Ironmongers Arms in Dove St.

[quote user="ricardo"]Graham Paddon had the Ship at South Walsham and Billy Steele had the Ironmongers Arms in Dove St.[/quote]William McCallum Steele also had The Shirehall, Cattle Market Street.......

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Well there''s another thread waiting for you to post City1st. In the meantime I''ll give you Albert Bennett, Billy Steele and Graham Paddon but can you give me the pubs?[/quote]Elm Tavern (as was) and .... errr[/quote]Albert also had the Duke of Norfolk.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]Ahh! now I see it, yes you might well be right.

Well spotted but I must say I never recall it being referred to as the Supporters Stand.[/quote]

Interesting choice of words Ricardo. Sounds like different things pop into your mind all the time but, in this case, you " never recall " it being called the Supporters Stand.  [:D] I''m just teasing you. You have an excellent sense of recall. These days, there is not much recall going on in my mind at all, however and despite that, my first match was in 1950 and I can state, quite emphatically, that neither I nor those I attended with ever referred to it as the "Supporters Stand."[/quote]

I think we all agree on that one. I think it was probably in recognition of a donation from the old supporters club. Like you Yankee, I''ve been amazed at Ricardo''s recollections of the past, particularly when he put so many names to faces in that 1948 photo. It seems we have the 2013 PinkUn version of Leslie Welch. [:D]

[/quote]If only there was some other person who attended games back thensomeone with a bit of knowledge ........................... more so about the names of stands and if they had other names different to what the rest knew them asif only............

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]Ahh! now I see it, yes you might well be right.

Well spotted but I must say I never recall it being referred to as the Supporters Stand.[/quote]

Interesting choice of words Ricardo. Sounds like different things pop into your mind all the time but, in this case, you " never recall " it being called the Supporters Stand.  [:D] I''m just teasing you. You have an excellent sense of recall. These days, there is not much recall going on in my mind at all, however and despite that, my first match was in 1950 and I can state, quite emphatically, that neither I nor those I attended with ever referred to it as the "Supporters Stand."[/quote]

I think we all agree on that one. I think it was probably in recognition of a donation from the old supporters club. Like you Yankee, I''ve been amazed at Ricardo''s recollections of the past, particularly when he put so many names to faces in that 1948 photo. It seems we have the 2013 PinkUn version of Leslie Welch. [:D]

[/quote]If only there was some other person who attended games back thensomeone with a bit of knowledge ........................... more so about the names of stands and if they had other names different to what the rest knew them asif only............

[/quote]What about Wiz?just a thought.

Wiz of course probably knows but in his absence I looked it up in "Canary Citizens" : -

It is understandable that the 1959-60 season had an ''after the Lord Mayor''s show'' feeling about it but during the summer the new South stand was completed despite many difficulties.

No mention of the supporters stand or the supporters club. It just goes on to talk about problems with the soil. The steel structure was erected by Boulton & Paul and the main contractors were R G Carter.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="ricardo"]Graham Paddon had the Ship at South Walsham and Billy Steele had the Ironmongers Arms in Dove St.[/quote]William McCallum Steele also had The Shirehall, Cattle Market Street.......[/quote]

Brilliant Lapp[Y] I think Billy Steele had the two pubs at the same time?

Talking of Billy Steele...

In our great club''s history what links William McCallum Steele, Trevor Edward Howard and John Anthony Devine?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="ricardo"]Graham Paddon had the Ship at South Walsham and Billy Steele had the Ironmongers Arms in Dove St.[/quote]William McCallum Steele also had The Shirehall, Cattle Market Street.......[/quote]

In our great club''s history what links William McCallum Steele, Trevor Edward Howard and John Anthony Devine?

[/quote]complete guess... Subs in cup finals, 62, 75 and 85?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]complete guess... Subs in cup finals, 62, 75 and 85?[/quote]

Yes Jas!! The three Wembley subs! And you weren''t even at the Canary Quiz when I asked that. It''s 73, 75 and 85 to be exact.

Were any of them used?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]complete guess... Subs in cup finals, 62, 75 and 85?[/quote]

Yes Jas!! The three Wembley subs! And you weren''t even at the Canary Quiz when I asked that. It''s 73, 75 and 85 to be exact.

Were any of them used?

[/quote]I know Devine wasn''t... don''t know about the other 2!

back on subject here''s one that has not been seen before -http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/polopoly_fs/dj_football_pic2_1_1687085!image/1335039911.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/1335039911.jpg

Top row, left to right: A Turner (manager’s assistant), T Bury

(director), F A Kent (clerk), A E Barham (director), Mr Nattrass

(director, W T Blyth (director).

Second row, left to right: H

McQueen (trainer), G Newlands, R Whitman, J Youngs, H Hutchinson, A T

Jones, F Thompson, P Roney, J W Howes (director and hon. sec.).

Third

row, left to right: Tom Allsopp, G Lamberton, J R Bauchop, R Webster

(vice chairman), G M Chamberlin JP (director) J Pyke (chairman), J

McEwen (captain), W Bushell, A Livingstone.

Fourth row: R Muir and W Smith.

[quote user="City1st"]easy peasy

so I''ll sit this one out

and let others have a go

[/quote]

Oh, now I see how one elevates their level of knowledge to others City 1st. Allow me to have a go.....

easy peasy

so i''ll sit this one out

and let others have a go.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="City1st"]easy peasyso I''ll sit this one outand let others have a go

[/quote]

Oh, now I see how one elevates their level of knowledge to others City 1st. Allow me to have a go.....

easy peasy

so i''ll sit this one out

and let others have a go.

[/quote]eh ?

It seems the pitches used to cut up quite badly back in the day......[URL=http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/lappinitup/media/TheNest_zps567ecdd2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g445/lappinitup/TheNest_zps567ecdd2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]