Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

Newmarket Road

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="City1st"]make sure you download the pics

in case the thread goes west

in the meantime one last pic of the Nest

like how the kit was ''come as you are''

shades of  Bluebottle''s ''mum''s old drawers'' with the lad on the far right, having his ''shorts'' held up by the much remembered ''snake belt''

Norwich, young footballers at The Nest

[/quote]

LOL I had one of those snake belts.
[/quote]

So did I Ricardo - that ages us both!

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="ricardo"]Ahh! now I see it, yes you might well be right.Well spotted but I must say I never recall it being referred to as the Supporters Stand.[/quote]

Interesting choice of words Ricardo. Sounds like different things pop into your mind all the time but, in this case, you " never recall " it being called the Supporters Stand.  [:D] I''m just teasing you. You have an excellent sense of recall. These days, there is not much recall going on in my mind at all, however and despite that, my first match was in 1950 and I can state, quite emphatically, that neither I nor those I attended with ever referred to it as the "Supporters Stand."

[/quote]Sorry for that Yankee, a bit of unconscious Norfolkism dropped in there. I guess as an ex pat you''ve forgotten how to "tork proper like wot we do".[;)]

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]Ahh! now I see it, yes you might well be right.

Well spotted but I must say I never recall it being referred to as the Supporters Stand.[/quote]

Interesting choice of words Ricardo. Sounds like different things pop into your mind all the time but, in this case, you " never recall " it being called the Supporters Stand.  [:D] I''m just teasing you. You have an excellent sense of recall. These days, there is not much recall going on in my mind at all, however and despite that, my first match was in 1950 and I can state, quite emphatically, that neither I nor those I attended with ever referred to it as the "Supporters Stand."[/quote]

I think we all agree on that one. I think it was probably in recognition of a donation from the old supporters club. Like you Yankee, I''ve been amazed at Ricardo''s recollections of the past, particularly when he put so many names to faces in that 1948 photo. It seems we have the 2013 PinkUn version of Leslie Welch. [:D]

Can anyone remember Horace Batchellor with his "famous Infra-Draw Method" to increase your chances of winning the pools? Stakes had to be sent to "Horace Batchelor, Department One, Keynsham, spelt K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M, Keynsham, Bristol". [:D]I wonder if anyone got rich from it (apart from Horace). [:)]

[quote user="PKC"]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="City1st"]make sure you download the picsin case the thread goes westin the meantime one last pic of the Nestlike how the kit was ''come as you are'' shades of  Bluebottle''s ''mum''s old drawers'' with the lad on the far right, having his ''shorts'' held up by the much remembered ''snake belt''Norwich, young footballers at The Nest

[/quote]LOL I had one of those snake belts.[/quote]

So did I Ricardo - that ages us both!

[/quote]I think they were pretty much part of life for boys up to the 1970''s ... and aftermost likely as a lot of clothes were handed down, bought for you to ''grow into'' etcBelt - snake belt

they were based on cavalry/lancers dress belts hence the stripes

and were often used for other purposes

[quote user="lappinitup"]Can anyone remember Horace Batchellor with his "famous Infra-Draw Method" to increase your chances of winning the pools? Stakes had to be sent to "Horace Batchelor, Department One, Keynsham, spelt K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M, Keynsham, Bristol". [:D]I wonder if anyone got rich from it (apart from Horace). [:)][/quote]Dear oh dear Lapps, that advert used to be on Radio Luxembourg when we all used to listen to the top 20 on a Sunday night at 11pm.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="lappinitup"]Can anyone remember Horace Batchellor with his "famous Infra-Draw Method" to increase your chances of winning the pools? Stakes had to be sent to "Horace Batchelor, Department One, Keynsham, spelt K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M, Keynsham, Bristol". [:D]I wonder if anyone got rich from it (apart from Horace). [:)][/quote]Dear oh dear Lapps, that advert used to be on Radio Luxembourg when we all used to listen to the top 20 on a Sunday night at 11pm.[/quote]

What on a school night???

No wonder you wasted the rest of your life on football....

[;)]

[quote user="City1st"]just as with attending football matches, it can mean having to rub shoulders with the ''lower orders'' .... and be subject to their sometimes rather coarse vulgarities - a sad fact of some having had little decent education

for my own part I was brought up at Eton

sadly some on here sound as if the were eaten and brought up

anyway back to Newmarket Road, it must have been a helluva shock to move from the open spaces of that ground to what was no more than a levelled pit

and you have to wonder if the club did not attract a new set of supporters given it''s new location, not all but a fair few given how it was now ''on the doorstep'' for far more

[/quote]

I take it you mean Eaton !!!!!

[quote user="Les"]I bet Ricardo used to go to Newmarket Road. :))[/quote]Yes, but only for a pint in "The Eagle".

wearing your blue and white quartered football shirt?and snake belt????hee hee( hope you enjoyed the pics I sent you)

[quote user="City1st"]last try

Norwich City Football Club players for the 1925-1926 season

[/quote]Ricardo reckons - ''The Pic is 1925/26''  which I presume is that season if not and it is after July 1926 then  Joe Richmond is on there albeit about face, as the pic has been ''flipped''however you can see him here -leeds squad photo 1923-1924he''s in the middle ..seated

Played 130 games and scored 9 goals Mustard. He''s in my book :) Flight Sergeant in the RAF and awarded French Militaire! He also won a second division medal with Leeds. He was a "utility player" who could play in defence or attack. He was the 5th player to score a league hat-trick for us against Watford 18/04/1927. But he ended up playing fullback in partnership with Joe Hannah.

He later kept the Quebec Tavern[B]

Your partner is from good stock buddy[Y]

Here we are Mr Mustard - Joe Richmond

Centre Forward

Born: Leasingthorpe, Nr Durham: 26-02-1897

Debut: Wolverhampton Wanderers (a): 09-12-1922

5’11” 11st 10lb (1925)

A Durham Schools representative player, he played for Sittingbourne before serving with

the Royal Flying Corps as a flight-sergeant in World War War One, winning the French Medal

Militaire. In March 1922 he signed for Shildon Athletic from where he joined Leeds in

December 1922 when he was twenty-five.

Although he was fairly inexperienced, Richmond led

the Leeds 1923-24 promotion side side with panache and vigour, scoring fifteen goals in

thirty-five League games. In the top flight he struggled to reproduce his form of the Second

Division Championship winning season. He gave way to Jack Thom for a short while but both

were were pushed aside as the new goalscoring sensation, Tom Jennings, forced his way into

the team.

He moved to Second Division Barnsley in February 1926 and found it more to his

liking scoring five times in thirteen League games but in July that year he went to Norwich,

where he made a successful transition to left-back before retiring in 1930. He made one

hundred and twenty-four League appearances, scoring nine goals, mostly while he was in the

forwards.

After World War Two he coached Letchworth Town and then became a publican, running

the Quebec Tavern and the Beaufort Arms in Norwich. He died in Norwich on 6th March 1953.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="lappinitup"]Can anyone remember Horace Batchellor with his "famous Infra-Draw Method" to increase your chances of winning the pools?

Stakes had to be sent to "Horace Batchelor, Department One, Keynsham, spelt K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M, Keynsham, Bristol". [:D]

I wonder if anyone got rich from it (apart from Horace). [:)]
[/quote]

Dear oh dear Lapps, that advert used to be on Radio Luxembourg when we all used to listen to the top 20 on a Sunday night at 11pm.
[/quote]

The ad I remember most vividly is "the H. Samuel Everight watch." I''m assuming that''s crystal clear in your minds as well. Any others?

Obviously I''m one of the ''''younger'''' generation of fans (21 Y/O!) but am always interested in the history of our great club. Some real smashing pictures on here, Always nice to see how and where the club has evolved :)

as long as you don''t confuse the Royal Flying Corps with the RAFand remember to sit up straight.................. and say please and thank you

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I reckon we''ll get an invite round for tea City1st[;)][C]

[/quote]

appears

he followed the trusted retired footballers route by taking on the

Quebec Tavern in 1930 (25th Nov) and staying there until 1943before taking on the Beaufort Arms (hotel) in 1946 (29th August) where he was still landlord when he died

ps we have had that pic before laps as you may remember the jokes about Lambert teas - but still a good photo

Well there''s another thread waiting for you to post City1st.

In the meantime I''ll give you Albert Bennett, Billy Steele and Graham Paddon but can you give me the pubs?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Well there''s another thread waiting for you to post City1st.

In the meantime I''ll give you Albert Bennett, Billy Steele and Graham Paddon but can you give me the pubs?

[/quote]Elm Tavern (as was) and .... errr

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]The ad I remember most vividly is "the H. Samuel Everight watch." I''m assuming that''s crystal clear in your minds as well. Any others?[/quote]How about the "Ovalteenies" ditty Yankee? [:D]

Elm was Albert''s[Y]

Billy Steele''s was in the city and a good fit, Graham Paddon''s was  a Norfolk Broads pub.