Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Chelsea

[quote user="City1st"]"

do you really think stuff like this has not been worked out and dealt with, that Tettey did not know his role ?

[/quote]

They do practice it - but Olsson was on teh half way line and is as much to blame for the goal as Tettey for failing to simply funnel back rather than rushing towards the player with the ball.  

sorry, have to disagreeTettey was not put in a position that would not have been expected of him to deal with quite easilyit was an error on the part of him and Ruddythese things happen, that is the nature (and joy) of the gamejust as Olsson missed the shot and possible certain goal earlier

[quote user="Mister Chops"]The frustrating thing was their second goal which killed the game.  That awful corner, the hoofed clearance, the Tettey error, the Ruddy error (though Ruddy was the least culpable of the three in my view).  A half-decent corner headed over the bar, we regroup for the goal kick and probably draw the game 1-1.  That goal took all the wind from our sails.Good report Ricky, thanks.[/quote]A basic tactical error by Hughton also contributed towards that second Chelsea goal because we lacked defensive cover when taking the corner and one of Chelsea''s strengths is to hit teams on the break.

I suspect that explaining to folk in the middle ages that the earth was not flat was easier than thisthere was enough defensive coverTettey had the ball at his feet, he messed up playing the ballit mattered little what type of player he was ... it was a fairly easy ball to deal withhe didn''t, that''s all

The most culpable error was neither from Tettey, nor Ruddy, but Olsson.

His original positioning was fine, but he made an incorrect movement, telegraphing the pass and making the final outcome more likely.

As we have discussed elsewhere, individual errors are not something that coaching can prevent, the shape of a side and the pattern of play can mitigate against such errors being disastrous however.

Had Olsson simply dropped 20 yards in a straight line from his original position, the passa-gol cannot be made and either no errors then occur, or they do but the shape then mitigates against them being disastrous.

[quote user="City1st"]I suspect that explaining to folk in the middle ages that the earth was not flat was easier than thisthere was enough defensive coverTettey had the ball at his feet, he messed up playing the ballit mattered little what type of player he was ... it was a fairly easy ball to deal withhe didn''t, that''s all

[/quote]Wudda ya mean the Earth''s not flat?[:O]

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]The most culpable error was neither from Tettey, nor Ruddy, but Olsson.

His original positioning was fine, but he made an incorrect movement, telegraphing the pass and making the final outcome more likely.

As we have discussed elsewhere, individual errors are not something that coaching can prevent, the shape of a side and the pattern of play can mitigate against such errors being disastrous however.

Had Olsson simply dropped 20 yards in a straight line from his original position, the passa-gol cannot be made and either no errors then occur, or they do but the shape then mitigates against them being disastrous.[/quote]For the second Chelsea goal, Tettey stretched far to even get a foot on the ball. He had little choice because if he had delayed by a step to try to make a cleaner strike then he ran a risk of giving away a penalty and getting sent off as he was the last man. Everyone including the defenders, Ruddy, Pilkington and management has to take collective responsibility for that goal as it was a catalogue of errors.

Sorry Tom but that is absolute rubbish!

Tettey simply made a mistake. It was nobody elses fault!

Why are people trying to make more of this than there is?

It happens!

Snake

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]So, no one can answer my original question about the attempted substitution of Pilkington.[/quote]No mate, we are still struggling to come to terms with City 1st''s revelation that the earth is not flat.[:O]

We can argue about who did what, what went wrong, why we shouldn''t have gone for it, etc, etc, until the cows come home but when all said and done we were up against a top quality side who were able to bring around £70m worth of subs off the bench.Chelsea had several other good chances to score and deserved to win but it was the way we went at them that was so pleasing. I don''t often come away from a defeat feeling as good as I did yesterday.Perhaps we can now start enjoying our football again...

I agree with this. Strangely I felt OK even though we lost because I knew that we were very close to getting a surprise result against a team with some amzing players. My biggest disappointment was that it was a mistake that cost us, had they come up with a great move and scored maybe it would not have felt so disappointing.

I''m glad City 1st raises the Olsson airkick. It just shows that while others make errors such as those leading to the second goal, we made errors where we could have won the match- surely those are just as costly? As far as I am concerned, Snodgrass''s delayed pass to Pilks was a bad error, an early ball through the centre woudl have seen him 1 on 1 with Cech in the centre of the box, not heading away from goal when he was tripped. Martin regularly getting skinned by Cole and Schurrle on the edge of our box. And so on. But Chelsea made errors too, mainly in attack when they often chose the wrong option. Sometimes errors lead to goals or missed goals and sometimes they don''t.  Tettey''s led to a goal. Unlucky but that''s the way it goes.

But that second half fightback should not disguise major flaws in our approach to the game, and that is why many are still not convinced by the manager even though the last 3 games have been more promising. I still don''t understand why Hooper, a man in form after Watford, isn''t given more of a chance. Mystifying.