Sign in to follow this  
StaffordCanary

Why Bassong??!!

Cracking match this afternoon and well done to the lads for having a go but i must ask why did Hoots play Bassong when he was clearly not fit and played like he was protecting an injury. He should of kept the same team as last week and made Bassong play for his place. Ryan Bennett was outstanding last week. The Bassong and Turner partnership is struggling. They gifted Villa their goal and also gifted the first goal to Chelsea today. Bassong was slow and sluggish all afternoon and did not pass the ball much further than 10 yards. He may be a good defender when fit but today he clearly wasn''t and Turner has to try and cover for him.

I said much the same on the match thread. Turner and RB looked pretty comfortable last week - Seb has made a few mistakes of late and I also think he should not automatically walk into the starting XI regardless of form or fitness.

I agree. Howson is finally getting his chance and is improving each game. He''s got goals in him as well. He proved that last week. The midfield have done well in the last 2 games and Leroy Fer has slowly started to impress me.I wasn''t sure at first. But i felt sorry for Tettey today with the 2nd goal. He was having a cracking game and then slipped up the once and got punished.

I don''t like seeing players who play well get dropped I think it sends out an awful message to them, that it doesn''t matter how they perform they wont keep their place and that''s not good for those players outside the 11 waiting to break in. However that aside I think it was a very good performance.

Bassong was ropey.

But Bennett never plays quite as well as some people like to think. Certainly not to the level where he cannot be dropped.

I Clearly think Hughton took a gamble playing an unfit Bassong today, it might actually have lost us the match as several times he was struggling for pace and out of position. Naturally he is our best CB but we needed speed and agility at the back today.

I don''t think it was worth the risk to bring Bassong back if he wasn''t ready. Martin could have deputised if Hughton didn''t want to play Bennett, with Whittaker coming in at right back.

Whilst I tend to agree with the sentiments here. Imagine what the hughton outers would have been saying if Turner or Bennett had made a mistake and Bassong was on the bench!

[quote user="rock bus"]Whilst I tend to agree with the sentiments here. Imagine what the hughton outers would have been saying if Turner or Bennett had made a mistake and Bassong was on the bench![/quote]

BUT they didn''t![:@]

I didn''t notice any difference with Bassong than their normally is. To me he always looks unfit and as though he''s carrying an injury. After the first few times I stopped being suspicious of it.

I do have to say Bennett is unlucky not to be in the starting 11, given his end of season form and his performance against Stoke.

I always have my doubts with Turner, even though he is a solid defener, he does lose players, lacks pace and gets pulled out of position alot during a game. I can''t say he fills me with confidence.

I am suprised that we didn''t make a sneaky bid with loan or permenant for Micah Richards.....probably wouldn''t of come here and too expensive?

When fot though my back 4 would be Martin, Bennett, Bassong , Olsson.

[quote user="rock bus"]Whilst I tend to agree with the sentiments here. Imagine what the hughton outers would have been saying if Turner or Bennett had made a mistake and Bassong was on the bench![/quote]Hughton would have had the valid excuse that Bassong wasn''t fully match fit.Bennett should have started the game on merit.

He is our captain, but I agree very harsh to drop Bennett from a winning side