Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Picture quiz

as we have another 10 days or more to go here''s a little something to keep you occupied

can you work out who whenscoreand for the happy clappies ... where ?

ps usual ''rules''please could you wait until after 9pm before posting up answers so as to let latecomers have a gota

pps when I say ''who'' I mean the teams not the people''s heads

Right.  Well, that looks like Norwich City versus Stoke City to me, that would have been the 1980-81 season because they changed that "Mann Egerton" sign the following season and my brother Jack used to work there before he ended up with them poor old buggers at Boulton & Paul and they all got laid off.  He ended up in Telford but would have better off under a truck.

That was a big home win, 4-1 or so. 

[quote user="City1st"]as we have another 10 days or more to go here''s a little something to keep you occupied

ps usual ''rules''please could you wait until after 9pm before posting up answers so as to let latecomers have a gota

[/quote]

a bit desperate there bor, a few minutes after 9pmothers tend to knowingly nod sagely and allow the lesser mortals to do their best firstbut each to their own i suppose and we have to grab our glory where we can

ps I like the 4-1 touch, just to show you didn''t look it up.......... did you ?

[quote user="City1st"]as we have another 10 days or more to go here''s a little something to keep you occupied

[/quote]Yeah, 80/81City v Stoke, first game of the seasonscore was 5-1Fashanu got a hat trickThe City player nearest the goal looks like Tony Powell and is that Kevin Bond just ahead of him. The other City player looks a bit like Joe Royle and is that Lee Chapman marking him.Judging by the stands it looks like a gate of under 15k

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]

Right.  Well, that looks like Norwich City versus Stoke City to me, that would have been the 1980-81 season because they changed that "Mann Egerton" sign the following season and my brother Jack used to work there before he ended up with them poor old buggers at Boulton & Paul and they all got laid off.  He ended up in Telford but would have better off under a truck.

[/quote]Poor old Jack, I''ve been to Telford. [:''(]This was the month they launched the Morris Ital iirc a good time to work at Mann Egerton.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]

[/quote]after your stunning debut i was looking forward to this weeks match report bor, funniest thing i have read in ages [:D]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="City1st"]as we have another 10 days or more to go here''s a little something to keep you occupied

can you work out

who

when

score

and for the happy clappies ... where ?

ps usual ''rules''

please could you wait until after 9pm before posting up answers so as to let latecomers have a go

ta

[/quote]

Yeah, 80/81

City v Stoke, first game of the season

score was 5-1

Fashanu got a hat trick

The City player nearest the goal looks like Tony Powell and is that Kevin Bond just ahead of him. The other City player looks a bit like Joe Royle and is that Lee Chapman marking him.

Judging by the stands it looks like a gate of under 15k
[/quote]

Wild stab in the dark, but I''d say a gate of around 13,526 [;)]. Wouldn''t be surprised if Greg Downes and Clive Woods got the other goals.

[quote user="Doctorsleep"]"This is either very easy or I''m hopelessly wrong."

eh?[/quote]It was very easy ie a game of my generation that I attended and which was also quite memorable for the scoreline, the date (16th august) of course was easily remembered as being both the anniversary of the Peterloo massacre and the exact day upon which Jools Holland quit Squeeze (16/08/80).I usually lack access to such aide memoirs as City 1st likes to pose questions from before my time. The tricky bit was remembering if Southampton were still in the R/W vertical stripes and in the same league that year or what colour shorts they wore.Attendance was 14,616 BTW

"I usually lack access to such aide memoirs as City 1st likes to pose questions from before my time."you are rather spoiling things, as you are supposed to be me.................... or is it the other way round ?

Never mind here''s another City v Stoke game when it was a men''s game and stewards wore butchers coats to let you know they were, err ............ stewardsncfc v stoke 23 mar 1974

and a tactic of those days was for the keeper to hide behind an opposition player then spring out just at the moment they were about to shoot

[quote user="City1st"]"I usually lack access to such aide memoirs as City 1st likes to pose questions from before my time."you are rather spoiling things, as you are supposed to be me.................... or is it the other way round ?

Never mind here''s another City v Stoke game when it was a men''s game and stewards wore butchers coats to let you know they were, err ............ stewardsncfc v stoke 23 mar 1974

and a tactic of those days was for the keeper to hide behind an opposition player then spring out just at the moment they were about to shoot

[/quote]That ones much earlier because it''s Trevor Howard in the middle and also Mel Machin on the line. John Bond must have been the manager so by a process of elimination it''s City''s second season in Div 1........1973/74.Can''t remember the score but I think it''s one of the few games we won that season.It must be Keelan in goal (although hidden) but who is that next to him? Could it be Colin Prophett?

What is the link between the match in the photo below and a 1-0 win for Norwich City in a match in February 1962?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

What is the link between the match in the photo below and a 1-0 win for Norwich City in a match in February 1962?

[/quote]

Other than Sir Stanley Matthews, I can''t think of anything else?[:^)]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

Other than Sir Stanley Matthews, I can''t think of anything else?[:^)]

[/quote]

Neither can I. I think he is the chap on the inside side of the goalie. That match was Germany vs England in Berlin in 1938, with the England players, as shown, doing the Hitler Salute. Matthews played for Stoke in a 6-0 defeat at Carrow Road in the 1962-63 season, which gets all the attention, but had appeared the season before. Terry Allcock scored the only goal.

src="http://gotnotgot.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/rubbish-i.jpg?w=640&h=363" height="363" width="640">

[/quote]

The giveaway was the shadow from the newly built river end stand.