Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

Fer, Tettey, Howson Combo

At fault for the second goal - but he wasn''t the only one - but agree he is a far stronger player now than he was. He is now the player we were lead to believe he was when we signed him!!Works well with Howson/Fer too!

The Fer, Tettey, Howson combo has been very good.

I disagree with Tettey coming a long way. He plays the same as ever. The difference is two-fold:

1) BJ being dropped. We don''t give the ball away half as much in central midfield now. Many people have been calling out this issue for 12 months.

2) Howson playing an attacking role. WOW, shock of shocks! A player being played in his proper attacking role performs better than he did when shoved into a defensive one. Hardly a revelation.

Thought Howson was superb. Tettey not far behind him and Fer not far off either.

Clearly the midfielders to take us forward.

Good to see Howson being used properly and shining as a result, he is a much much better player getting forward.

Whenever Fer plays well it raises the game of the other two midfielders. Both today and against Stoke the Tettey/Fer/Howson trio were excellent (one mistake aside). Against Southampton Fer was quality and Johnson was terrific too. He''s the glue that holds the midfield together, good on the ball, off the ball, going forwards and tracking back, and he allows Tettey/Johnson to play their natural game and allows Howson to play more expansively. Quality player.

Agree regarding Fer being the "glue", spot on comment. I thought Howson was terrific today and, I am not usually a fan of Tettey, but really appreciated what he did today, such a shame he made a big mistake for their second goal.

A couple of weeks ago Hoddle on tv over here was tallking about a midfield three working the way these three have started to do things recently, maybe he gave Chris a call.

I think Tetty has the most room for improvement, hopefully he''ll benefit from a run of games. I can see little bits in Howson''s play that he''s picking up from Fer''s game. I like how Fer manages to wriggle away from his opponents in situations where others might panic and lose the ball.

As ''Citizen Journalist Foghorn'' has said, Tettey is playing much the same as he always has. The problems had been BJ struggling to pass the ball and Howson was often wrongly being used as a defensive midfielder.It makes a huge difference that Tettey, Fer, and Howson are now being selected in their best positions.However, Howson isn''t yet linking well with RVW.

I actually think Hoolahan and RVW would be the best combination together in terms of scoring goals/creating chances for RVW. However, I think this formation - with these three players in the middle - is probably the strongest midfield we''ve got and all three are playing well at the moment.

I would hope that against lesser sides Hoolahan will be back on the bench. Then if we need to chase in the last 20 minutes, he comes on for perhaps Tettey and plays in behind RVW. I think he will be far more effective there than Elmander and I think RVW would love playing with him.

Tettey is excellent at winning the ball, breaking up attacks and picking up the pieces. Where he needs to improve is passing. There was one occasion near the end of the match on Sunday when he was on the ball with Pilks and Olsson both breaking against Ivanovic and a ball down the flank with his left foot would have sent either of them clear. However the ball wasn''t played simply because he didn''t have it in his locker to do that. Had it been Fer, Howson, Snoddy, Redmond (or even Johnson tbf) it would have been. Even when making short passes Tettey struggles to judge the pace of the pass either under hitting and putting the recipient in trouble or putting too much pace on the pass and making the recipient take one or two touches to control and adjust. He also often passes to someone who is already closely marked.

I''m not belittling Tettey''s efforts, because his presence has been hugely successful in the last couple of games and I''d certainly start him ahead of Johnson at this moment in time. I just think that he needs to develop his passing more or else he could fall into that category of being more of an athlete than a footballer.

He is getting closer to his ideal formation. He just needs to drop rvw for Bradley Johnson replace snodgrass with Whittaker and pilkington with Ryan Bennett and he will be happy

[quote user="Aggy"]I actually think Hoolahan and RVW would be the best combination together in terms of scoring goals/creating chances for RVW. However, I think this formation - with these three players in the middle - is probably the strongest midfield we''ve got and all three are playing well at the moment.

I would hope that against lesser sides Hoolahan will be back on the bench. Then if we need to chase in the last 20 minutes, he comes on for perhaps Tettey and plays in behind RVW. I think he will be far more effective there than Elmander and I think RVW would love playing with him.[/quote]I think that position is the biggest predicament for Hughton.Wes - can thread through some passes to RVW but is weak at retaining possession. However, with Fer & Tettey playing behind it wouldn''t be such a disaster should he lose possession. I think Wes is also a bit more likely to win free-kicks.Howson - better than Wes at retaining possession but has so far struggled to link with RVW.Elmander - plays like Holt but without quite the same drive and aggression.Hooper - it might be better to play him in that role where he can also get forward to add goals.Becchio - hasn''t been given much of a chance but has shown that he can create intelligent chances along the ground. Even if he was given a chance then it would likely take him a few games to get fully match fit.Snodgrass - I wouldn''t rule out the possibility of him playing in that central-forward-midfield position but he is very slow at getting back on his feet when he loses the ball.Redmond - it might be worth giving him a go in that position because he cuts inside anyway and with Fer & Tettey playing behind it wouldn''t be such a disaster should he lose possession. RVW - it seems as if he has been given chances based upon his transfer fee and because Hooper was injured rather that what he is doing on the pitch. However, if he was dropped then his replacement would suffer the same problem of a lack of service from Howson.However, the other major problem is that neither RVW or Hooper are particularly well suited as lone strikers.There are valid reasons for selecting any of the above options but none of them seem to stand out as particularly compelling.

Until these last 2 matches, I''ve not been a tettey fan. Too many lost passes and he should not be encouraged to shoot at goal. His error against Chelsea that lead to their second if he had tried to score an own goal it would have sailed wide and we would have survived

Both Hoolahan & Howson should be in the team. I notice that every time someone suggest we play one player the other one is automatically the one that is being replaced. We need to be brave enough to play like the top 6 teams play - play all our best attacking players.

The game yesterday -  everyone was relying on Howson.

We can''t rely on one player to make all the crucial passes. That one player is usually heavily marked.

If the defenders that we have are really that good - they don''t need extra people protecting them.  

So it should be Hoolahan & Howson - NOT - Hoolahan or Howson. 

In reference to Six Packs post, we could play a 4-3-2-1 formation like so:                 RuddyMartin Turner Bassong Olsson      Tettey      Fer       Johnson      Howson       Hoolahan         Van WolfswinkelI''d suggest we don''t go with so much flair so that it is at the expense of our control of the midfield - we struggle with possession enough as it is. On the ball we could produce some inspiring bits of play, but off the ball (as we''d likely often be) we''d be given the run around, especially with so many teams these days playing with well-drilled 5 (or in West Hams case, 6) man midfields.As such i''d suggest any formation that incorporated both Hoolahan and Howson in roles in which they are best utilised, in the centre between the lines of defence and midfield (and in this case, not too defensively orientatated - as we''ve seen previously how it had affected Howsons play by inhibiting his attacking potential - i''m supposing, as much as hoping, that Six Pack ain''t proposing this), means dispensing with our flair out wide (though the quality of crossing of late doesn''t make this as much a hardship as it might otherwise be). This could leave us a little open, vulnerable, and inviting out wide, and quite obviously impotent on the flanks, but it would make for some threatening play in the centre between Howson, Fer and Hoolahan that could lead to some incisive through balls for Van Wolfswinkel to latch onto.Of course Lambert was highly successful here for a long while in his

centrally orientated diamond formation. It eventually died out a bit in

the Premier League well before Hughton was involved. This seemed to

imply we needed to expand our play to the wings (which was enabled with

the purchases of Pilkington and E.Bennett) in order to keep up with the rest of the pack at this level, but it could well be that

with (much) improved personnel this style of play can once again be revived, only in a different fashion.Whether now is the time to experiment with the idea seeing that we''ve only just found a remotely functional formula for playing the midfield is another question entirely, and my answer to that is doing so could be quite compromising, so we best give it some time before making significant changes to it. In this sense now is the time for evolution and not revolution.

I like it, if you look at the midfield from Sunday it is very balanced to the style and tactics chris Houghton likes to play. Very similar to the team that went 10 games unbeaten, howson has improved and taken over from Wes, fer has come in to take Johnson''s place, the next progression would to get someone to replace tettey. Though not a bad player, unfortunately his technical ability and passing are at championship player at best, ans he does give the ball away too much and you get punished for that in the PL. Bradley Johnson does have it in him to replace tettey, unfortunately he hasn''t show it this season and is off the boil.