Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report Fans Forum

A rather low key affair in the Norfolk Room tonight with a guesstimated 150 or so in attendance. We had McNally, CH, Ricky Martin on the panel with Neil Adams doing the intro''s. As usual McNally kicked off with his by now well worn patter about the Club Strategy re all monies going into football, continuous improvement etc etc.We are a Premier League Club and everything is about maintaining that status. That was something I had already taken on board when they rushed me £3.90 for a pint of bitter shandy. We had a quick run down on the various personnel changes both on and off the field and some news about new building developments at Colney but nothing about expansion at CR.On with the questions. First we had an unhappy punter who had the misfortune to sit next to a large Chelsea fan who insisted on sitting half in his seat. Big guy obviously so I doubt there was much in the way of remonstration. The upshot was that McNally was going to look further into keeping away fans out of home areas but was powerless to stop season ticket holders buying tickets for friends who might be away supporters.Then it was the Academy and about how we stop bigger clubs poaching players we''ve brought on. Apparently there is a compensation scheme but we covered ourselves by giving promising players extended contracts. During a later question on the subject CH confirmed that he monitored the progress of Youth players and it was his decision when he thought the time was right to blood them in the first team. Apparently Carlton Morris will no longer play for the under 18''s and will now feature in the under 21''s.CH was then asked about the system where most clubs now only play one man up top and confirmed that this was now the favoured formation for most clubs at the top rung of the game. Nutty Nigel (I was sitting 3 rows behind him) asked if CH could see both RVW and Hooper featuring in the side together and got an affirmative answer but again that would depend on when the manager thought it was right to do so. CH did say that he thought Elmander could also play that nine and a half roll.There was then a bit about pre-season tours from an Australian supporter who hoped to see City in his home country and was told that quality of opposition was paramount. (seems they don''t think much of Aussie football). Then some more stuff about ticketing prices both home and away and the Man U match in particular plus a woman who thought that the tickets were badly printed and they do it so much better in Scotland. Away travel was mentioned and one person was not too keen on Sanders Coaches using a double decker bus.Somebody then had a go about the strikers not scoring. CH said it was a matter of settling down and that he had full confidence that the goals would come for both RVW and Hooper. There was a mention about Becchio and CH said last season it was his decision to go with Grant Holt as the main man and that this season we had bought higher quality strikers. He said he was reluctant to let Becchio go on loan at the moment.Once again CH was very measured and knowledgeable in his answers and anybody who questions his suitability as NCFC manager is in my opinion totally nuts. In a nutshell that''s about the gist of it as expected except nobody asked about stadium expansion. Oh, I almost forgot, there will be a new under 21 manager appointed within the next week.

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

CH addressed the point raised by Nutty Nigel in the Sky interview he did recently, his response then was that there could well be circumstances when they would play together but these were likely to be few and far between.

I''m sure the whole event was slick and professional, I wouldn''t expect anything less.

One thing I should have mentioned was that we have money available for the January window if needed but mainly they were already focusing on next summer for further acquisitions. McNally says the January window is always a bit fraught and the big clubs tend to avoid it if possible.Also, in common with the big boys we now have a London Office. (its all to do with marketing).

cheers for that RicardoI would question  - "The upshot was that McNally was going to look further into keeping away

fans out of home areas but was powerless to stop season ticket holders

buying tickets for friends who might be away supporters."
powerless he might be, but it clearly states that home ends are for home fans, so in this case eject the fat bar stard immediately and suspend the season ticket holders ticket ... no handwringing apologies, just firm actionpossibly not the controversial stuff that makes for good headlines, but probably all the better for having the club in a position of ''steady as she goes''  .............. which after the one pint of 4 quid shandy I doubt you will need such advice Ricardoothere ta

[quote user="ricardo"]CH did say that he thought Elmander could also play that nine and a half roll.[/quote]

I don''t mind Hughton saying that. I would only be worried if he believed it.

Well covered Ricardo but very disappointed that despite a very good turnout Neil Adams was looking to close the meeting after an hour. Apparently a VIP had to leave early !!!

The most pertinent question asked was that despite us moving out several strikers at end of last season the newcomers had between them scored one goal in seven premier games. As Ricardo suggests Hughton gave his usual factual eloquent and defensive reply saying that they all still need to "bed in".

People I spoke to agreed that we are playing with a bit more positivity but at the end of the day it is all about staying in the Premiership, with Hughton more or less saying that we had to play the continental style about keeping things tight in midfield and that it will only be odd occasions that he will start with two upfront. I would prefer to see more goal line action, but I suppose I am old fashioned.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="ricardo"]CH did say that he thought Elmander could also play that nine and a half roll.[/quote]

[/quote]He also believes Hooper can play it which is more to the point. I have my doubts but then what do I know?I''d prefer a proper No 10 than a couple of 9 and a halfers.

[quote user="vos"]

Well covered Ricardo but very disappointed that despite a very good turnout Neil Adams was looking to close the meeting after an hour. Apparently a VIP had to leave early !!!

The most pertinent question asked was that despite us moving out several strikers at end of last season the newcomers had between them scored one goal in seven premier games. As Ricardo suggests Hughton gave his usual factual eloquent and defensive reply saying that they all still need to "bed in".

People I spoke to agreed that we are playing with a bit more positivity but at the end of the day it is all about staying in the Premiership, with Hughton more or less saying that we had to play the continental style about keeping things tight in midfield and that it will only be odd occasions that he will start with two upfront. I would prefer to see more goal line action, but I suppose I am old fashioned.

[/quote]Its all about getting the points to stay in the Premier League. It might not be what some want to hear but facts don''t cease to be facts because people don''t like them.If there''s not enough goal line action, close your eyes and think of the £80 million.[:D]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]He also believes Hooper can play it which is more to the point. I have my doubts but then what do I know?I''d prefer a proper No 10 than a couple of 9 and a halfers.[/quote]

I think Hooper might be a bit better at it than Elmander but a proper No.10 would indeed be vastly better than either. Which is why I take with a pinch of whatsit McNally''s downplaying of the January transfer window. If Hughton wants (as seems the case) to go on playing that system then I foresee a serious (potentially expensive) move for a round peg to fill that round hole.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]He also believes Hooper can play it which is more to the point. I have my doubts but then what do I know?I''d prefer a proper No 10 than a couple of 9 and a halfers.[/quote]

I think Hooper might be a bit better at it than Elmander but a proper No.10 would indeed be vastly better than either. Which is why I take with a pinch of whatsit McNally''s downplaying of the January transfer window. If Hughton wants (as seems the case) to go on playing that system then I foresee a serious (potentially expensive) move for a round peg to fill that round hole.

[/quote]
It''s a fee that could well break our record again. Top quality number 10''s are expensive. There are perhaps some cheaper bargins to be had in South America but that brings a whole load of other issues.
Thanks for the report Ricardo. There''s some interesting stuff and some things that seem quite mundane. 
The bit about Carlton Morris is good news. On the very few occasions I saw him he looked good but the question I always had in the back of my mind was, is he really good or is he just bigger. He seems like a young man that has developed physically quicker than others. Now he''s playing against under 21''s he is more likely to come up against people his own size and we will all see how good he is.
Davo

[quote user="Doctorsleep"]Thanks for taking the time to post this.

CH addressed the point raised by Nutty Nigel in the Sky interview he did recently, his response then was that there could well be circumstances when they would play together but these were likely to be few and far between.

I''m sure the whole event was slick and professional, I wouldn''t expect anything less.[/quote]

The question I asked was not if he could play them together but how he could play them together. Much as he told us all last year how he could get Wes into the team. What I was pleased about in his answer was that he thought if he did do it he would play Hooper behind RVW. I''ve read stuff on here where people think they could play the other way around and I don''t agree with that. I would like to see RVW in the box as often as possible. His movement in there is different class to anything we''ve had here for a vey long time if ever.

Hughton also talked about the time it takes players to acclimatise. I think that''s a very valid point. Especially the understanding between RVW and our wide players. Long gone are the days where you pick out a forward when the ball is crossed. The best the wide players can do is hit the right areas. The spaces that RVW can find or make. That will take a while. The best understanding in the Prem at the moment is SaS at Liverpool. But they already played together last season even though even then they had a good understanding. We have to hope that a wide player or Hooper can get that sort of understanding with RVW.

Oh and for City1st. Liverpool apparently play two "nine and a halfs"! Not sure if either plays in a hole...

[quote user="ricardo"] Nutty Nigel (I was sitting 3 rows behind him) [/quote]

Ha! Well in my row were And Smith Must Score... with PUPs Graham Humphrey, Gregt, Jellytot and young Twidio. Twidio wanted to ask Chris Hughton if he could go round for tea. There will be money exchanging hands if he asks it next year [;)]

I will have a serious attempt at Rickyyyyyyy spotting at the agm[:O]

The question I asked was not if he could play them together but how he could play them together. Much as he told us all last year how he could get Wes into the team. What I was pleased about in his answer was that he thought if he did do it he would play Hooper behind RVW. I''ve read stuff on here where people think they could play the other way around and I don''t agree with that. I would like to see RVW in the box as often as possible. His movement in there is different class to anything we''ve had here for a vey long time if ever.

Agreed about RVW movement, the challenge for CH and the squad is how best to work with him and deliver the ball. I saw signes on Sunday that Howson and surprising Tettey were looking for him with balls from midfield, also the added dimension of Olsson getting behind and delivering good crosses from the goal line will help. Our crossing has been predictable, too loopy and near the keeper in some of the games so far, not really giving him much of a chance I think Olsson will give RVW a bit more to work off.

I would like to see Hooper in the hole, he seems to be strong on the ball and will draw defenders, I think he could well be strong enough to create more space for RVW and play him in.

"Oh and for City1st. Liverpool apparently play two "nine and a halfs"! Not sure if either plays in a hole..."

I''m still non the wiser, though I am aware that the number 10 is apparently the latest buzzword,  that like some Victorian parlour game of old, has to be slipped into every discussion about tactics...  irrespective of whether anyone has a clue what on earth it meansI take it though that you are referring to Ricardo''s previous comment  "play that nine and a half roll'' which I mistakenly read as him having a gripe about the food prices, after having been stung £3.90 for a pint of shandy.anyway here''s a little something to cheer you upa picture of how they treated an elderly man who was making his first visit to Carrow Road (I think he was opening the new Wensum StandNorwich, The opening of Carrow Road football ground

Is someone already working for someone else. Ricky didn''t actually state another club though. When whoever it is reconciles his present employers an announcement will be made.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Is someone already working for someone else. Ricky didn''t actually state another club though. When whoever it is reconciles his present employers an announcement will be made.

[/quote]

Presume that was directed at my u21 question. Ta

Look at Tilly watching on in his sunday best uniform!!

[/quote]from what I gather they used to do this for every game, not just the opening of the new Wensum Standif you look behind ''young mr grace'' you will see the chap with the microphone who is about the lead the crowd in a quick rendition of the Singing (near) Post man before the game starts

[/quote]

Sorry buddy. Yes, the thread then moved on. I think the announcement will be quite soon. I believe 1 week was mentioned.

It was interesting to hear about Carlton Morris now playing for U21s. That''s a big step up for the lad. Hughton was asked about Becchio and specifically why he wasn''t getting games as an over age player in U21s. Carlton Morris is the reason for that and a very good reason in my book.

probably better with the pic

http://norlink.norfolk.gov.uk/PictureItemImages/Full/NP00014972.JPGfrom what I gather they used to do this for every game, not just the opening of the new Wensum Standif

you look behind ''young mr grace'' you will see the chap with the

microphone who is about the lead the crowd in a quick rendition of the

Singing (near) Post man before the game starts

ps if you look to the right of the pic you will see how long the coats were on young lads in those days

Today we have young Mr Grace to lead us in the community singing... Main Stand, Riverend, Wensum Stand[:S] and the Barclay... 3... 2... 1... Kick it off.....

You''ve all done very well..

[quote user="Doctorsleep"]The question I asked was not if he could play them together but how he could play them together. Much as he told us all last year how he could get Wes into the team. What I was pleased about in his answer was that he thought if he did do it he would play Hooper behind RVW. I''ve read stuff on here where people think they could play the other way around and I don''t agree with that. I would like to see RVW in the box as often as possible. His movement in there is different class to anything we''ve had here for a vey long time if ever.

Agreed about RVW movement, the challenge for CH and the squad is how best to work with him and deliver the ball. I saw signes on Sunday that Howson and surprising Tettey were looking for him with balls from midfield, also the added dimension of Olsson getting behind and delivering good crosses from the goal line will help. Our crossing has been predictable, too loopy and near the keeper in some of the games so far, not really giving him much of a chance I think Olsson will give RVW a bit more to work off.

I would like to see Hooper in the hole, he seems to be strong on the ball and will draw defenders, I think he could well be strong enough to create more space for RVW and play him in.[/quote]

Agree with nearly all that Doc. And Hooper himself has stated that he could play that role. Maybe though, like Liverpool didi, we''ll come up with our own version to suit our players. Hughton and Lambert both came up with effective systems to get the best from Wes.

"Today we have young Mr Grace to lead us in the community singing"

and a bloke from Vision On to lead us in the community signingfor those watching the game without a roof above them

Norwich, in the stands at a Carrow Road football match 1949

another pic for you master nutty -and guess when ?

unlike you to miss the floodlights ............... and snow !unfortunately I only have 1949, coming from a photographer -John Seymour joined photographers A.E. Coe as an apprentice at their

London Street outlet in Norwich in 1930. During World War II he served

with the RAF and carried out experimental photographic work for them.

After the war he set up his own business as a commercial photographer

also based in London Street, Norwich and was to work from here until he

retired in 1986. Mr Seymour was a Special Constable for 25 years, ran

Norwich Trades Fair and also started the first judo club in the city.

But it does give a good pic of the ground from an unusual angle and shows how the ground was more simply one big stand going from the Barclay to the River End rather than the four separate stands as they were known laterQuestion is who are City playing ?Team in white shorts and dark tops and possible white sleeves ?Looks like winter with coats and bare trees

Spotted the shirts. Guessed it was a cup game because of the big crowd. My final offer is Portsmouth in 1950. I think that was Rickyyyyy''s first game on his own because they wouldn''t let him go until he moved up to grammar school...

good suggestion as we were in the old 3rd Division South and Pompey were in the top flight and had won the League title the year beforehowever as it says 1949 I''m going to suggest that it was against Forest on Boxing Day, which would explain the big crowd