Sign in to follow this  
NCFC TIll I die

Top ten finish

While working drying the night I had a quick look at the back of the EDP and the board have said that they what us to finish in the top ten this season hasn''t started very well has it.

They have said they want to be there at the end of the season. It would be great to be higher at this stage, but unlike some on here, I am not panicking

Hasn''t started very well? We are already 4 points higher than what we were this time last season and we finished 11th last season.

Things are going very well

[quote user="ellis206"]Hasn''t started very well? We are already 4 points higher than what we were this time last season and we finished 11th last season.

Things are going very well[/quote]

That''s a little bit of a silly statement. Things are not going well if we''re sat in the relegation zone! Comparable points totals are irrelevant if teams around you have more!

If we go down with more points than last season, will this constitute to success? No.

Again a little irrelevant but you could compare our like for like results against the teams we''ve played so far to measure improvement

so last season,

Everton H  W2-1

Southampton H D0-0

Aston Villa H L1-2

Chelsea H  L0-1

Stoke A  L0-1

Spurs A D1-1        

5 points in total. The same fixture this season have us on 7 points. So again you can argue we''ve improved on last year, but lie I say all irrelevant whilst we''re 18th!

So really what you are saying is this thead is totally irrelevant until the end of the season!!!!

But it''s also a bit misleading to say we''re in the relegation zone because we are only below Fulham in alphabetical order, and only below Swansea and Stoke by 1 goal.

It''s a decent start which has featured a good home win agaisnt Soton and an excellent away win against Stoke, notoriously one of the hardest away fixtures outside the top 4.  And significantly better than last year, when by this time we had 3 points and no wins at all, it''s worth remembering where we ended up.  Most important, the last couple of performances have been good and the team is starting to gel. 

Looking around the key question should always be "which teams are going to get left behind this season".  So far Cardiff and Hull from the newly promoted teams have managed to get a decent number of points so it could well be a tough year for mid-table teams.  With away trips to Arsenal and Man C coming up realistically any points from those games are a bonus, although as we saw last year, it''s entirely possible to get them.  But it''s vital we get enough points out of the other games next month.

We''re 3 points off target then. Save this debate for a bit later on. Yes if i were Sunderland or Palace, i''d be worried, but the rest of us (apart from Man U) in the 7-10 point part of the table are all fighting for positions 11-18.

We''ll see what happens, we''re improving again and I think once we get Ricky firing the odd goal, or Hooper, we''ll win more than we lose.

Top ten is a reasonable target looking at our finishing position over last two years. Performances are improving home and away, there''s lots more improvement to come from this squad.

Reading some posts, we''re still in the Premiership and will be again next season. Enjoy the rollercoaster ride of being a Norwich fans, we''ll have more lows but also highs. We''re not a top 6, nor 10 club yet. Still re-establishing ourselves and will take many seasons.

Some will say look at the Swansea or Southamptons of the league. They''ll be up and down that league. Teams have good seasons, then many bad. Plenty fall in that basket. Fulhams, Aston Villa, Stoke and plenty of others.

If every team played to how they looked on paper, it''d be a pretty boring and predictable league - that it is not.

Do some fans really want us to be in the Championship? If so, support a team down the A140, they could do with some support (loosely used word)

i was quite optimistic given the signings. not so sure nowi dont think we will do as well as last seasonim guessing 14th/15th

I think there was an element of ''tongue in cheek'' from Bowkettas in -we are continually seeking to improve ............................ as if we weren''twe finished 12th, then 11th .......................... so by that measure we will be aiming for 10th and abovesadly the terminally dim have taken this as some some of 10th place commandment and will no refer to it as it were some absolute rule that is set in stone

“We budget to finish 16th financially, so any money above

that is a bonus,” said the City chairman. “The continuous improvement objective

for this football club is to improve from an 11th-place finish in the Premier

League, and that means we’re looking for a top-10 finish.

“But the ambition of

the football club – and Chris knows this – is continuous improvement. So 12th,

11th... What does that mean? It means a top-10 finish.”

Our current squad value is £75m. A top 10 squad value is

£100m. Can we look forward to a £25m January transfer/wages spend so that the

ambition matches the reality? Alternatively, should we expect CH to perform

miracles again given that on current squad value we should finish 17th?

An 11th to 15th place would be a good result.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

[quote user="ellis206"]Hasn''t started very well? We are already 4 points higher than what we were this time last season and we finished 11th last season.

Things are going very well[/quote]

That''s a little bit of a silly statement. Things are not going well if we''re sat in the relegation zone! Comparable points totals are irrelevant if teams around you have more!

If we go down with more points than last season, will this constitute to success? No.

Again a little irrelevant but you could compare our like for like results against the teams we''ve played so far to measure improvement

so last season,

Everton H  W2-1

Southampton H D0-0

Aston Villa H L1-2

Chelsea H  L0-1

Stoke A  L0-1

Spurs A D1-1        

5 points in total. The same fixture this season have us on 7 points. So again you can argue we''ve improved on last year, but lie I say all irrelevant whilst we''re 18th!

[/quote]
Massive contradiction. Calls statement silly and then provides information which supports it as 100% correct.

"Our current squad value is £75m"
"A top 10 squad value is £100m"
According to who? What ridiculous figures, of no substance, probably copied from somebody who pulled them out of his ass. 
The QPR squad probably had a football manager 2013 value of £150m in la la lou lou make up numbers land. 
The value of a player is the amount that somebody is willing to pay for them, which is apparently £12m for Chris Samba and £4m for Leroy Fer.
I''m happy with our £75m squad and Leroy Fer, thank you. 

[quote user="The New Boy (Le Juge)"][quote user="lincoln canary"]

[quote user="ellis206"]Hasn''t started very well? We are already 4 points higher than what we were this time last season and we finished 11th last season. Things are going very well[/quote]

so last season,

Everton H  W2-1

Southampton H D0-0

Aston Villa H L1-2

Chelsea H  L0-1

Stoke A  L0-1

Spurs A D1-1        

[/quote]

Massive contradiction. Calls statement silly and then provides information which supports it as 100% correct.

Read again le fudge. There is an argument to suggest improvement but its all irrelevant whilst sat in a relegation position. The OP stated things are going very well. Do you agree things are going very well? The is a difference in supporting evidence to suggest there might be improvement and the OP statement.

[quote user="Mustard matters"]

I am more than happy to assist in the continuous development of your football education. Please visit transfermarkt (sic) for the stats.

[/quote]Ah the internet, you know these numbers are true because.......... you got them from the internet. [:S]

[quote user="Mustard Maters"]

I am more than happy to assist in the continuous development of your football education. Please visit transfermarkt (sic) for the stats.

[/quote]
Words alone would not be able to express the sheer stupidity of your comment, perhaps the sight of my draw hitting the floor when I read your reply would have done.
On a scale of 1-10 for most stupid things ever said on the pinkun, this is 11/10. So completely made up figures are fine as long as somebody else made them up? 
In that case I can be absolutely certain now that there we are ruled by a race of alien reptiles who morph into humans, the world is definitely going to end in 2012 (they just need to invent a time machine first), the moon is definitely made out of cheese, and Elvis is still alive. 
Moron.

[quote user="The New Boy Le Juge"][quote user="Mustard Maters"]

[/quote]
Words alone would not be able to express the sheer stupidity of your comment, perhaps the sight of my draw hitting the floor when I read your reply would have done.
On a scale of 1-10 for most stupid things ever said on the pinkun, this is 11/10. So completely made up figures are fine as long as somebody else made them up? 
In that case I can be absolutely certain now that there we are ruled by a race of alien reptiles who morph into humans, the world is definitely going to end in 2012 (they just need to invent a time machine first), the moon is definitely made out of cheese, and Elvis is still alive. 
Moron.
[/quote]
*jaw hitting the floor

[quote user="Zak Van LegWetter"][quote user="Mustard matters"]

[/quote]Ah the internet, you know these numbers are true because.......... you got them from the internet. [:S][/quote]

The numbers for squad values on transfermarkt may or may not be "true" but I believe them to be indicative. If you have a "truer" (non-internet) source, I would be grateful if you would share it.

Squad value is only part of the picture. A host of factors will, of course, dictate our final placing.

There is a nice quote - attributed to Abraham Lincoln -  "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all  doubt." I am not aiming that quote at you personally - I am just intrigued as to whether he really did say it. If you have some non-internet sources which nails it as a fact that he did utter those words (and in that order) I really would appreciate any help.

[quote]

The numbers for squad values on transfermarkt may or may not be "true" but I believe them to be indicative. If you have a "truer" (non-internet) source, I would be grateful if you would share it.

[/quote]
This is football not the property market. The value of a player is the amount that other teams are prepared to pay, not what some webmaster decides to pluck out of his backside. 
Would you sell John Ruddy for £3.5m? No you wouldn''t. If he leaves it would probably be for at least £8m. That makes his value £8m, not £3.5m. Is Asmir Begovic worth twice as much as John Ruddy? No, he is not. 
How many examples do you want of this not being the slightest bit "indicative" of anything other than guesswork? I don''t need a "truer" source, the proof is in the pudding, our league position at the end of the season. 
I don''t know what formula that site uses to calculate transfer values, but if Ruddy is one of the least valuable first choice keepers in the league then it is fair to say that you shouldn''t be using it as a "source" for anything, especially if you think you are going to get away with using it as a source on the pinkun.
Even just trying to use that ridiculous non-entity and its completely made up figures on this forum to further an argument and then admitting that they are worthless is actually deeply offensive to other users, it suggests that you think we are as thick as you.