Sign in to follow this  
Since 1980

Malky Mackay

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="OldRobert"]Thank you Nutty.Less of the Old Git Lapps, you know perfectly well what I meant.  I''ll spell it out for you as you are obviously in thick mode this afternoon.  I don''t want another defender like the one we have now......................there.............got it now.[;)][/quote]David Moyes, Brendan Rodgers, Mauricio Pochettino and Manuel Pellegrini were all defenders. Perhaps their clubs have got it wrong too. [:)][/quote]Yeah, yeah, and Fergie, and Kenny Dalglish of course those well known defenders, not forgetting the well known international players like Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho................you can dig out successful managers from all positions of the pitch, although I believe Pellegrini was more of a civil engineer than a star defender, neither Rodgers, Pochettino nor Moyes have won anything to write home about, so I wouldn''t get too excited about your ''defenders''.  Ferguson, Dalglish, Wenger and Mourinho have won a helluva lot....................what have your''s won?

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="OldRobert"]what have your''s won?[/quote]Lol. Some of the best jobs in British football? [:D][/quote]Southampton, Cardiff, Swansea, Espanyol, Reading, Watford...................yeah right.[;)]

When we talk about the best managers in the history of the game in this country we will usually offer up names like.....
Revie, Busby, Ramsay, Clough, Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho, Dalglish, Shankly, Paisley, Robson (Bobby)
I think the only one of those who was a defender in a traditional sense was Bob Paisley. Shankly was a ''right half'' which is not really anything like a right back in this day and age, more like a right midfielder. 
So it is true that in this country at least the most successful managers have been attacking players. 

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="OldRobert"]what have your''s won?[/quote]Lol. Some of the best jobs in British football? [:D][/quote]Southampton, Cardiff, Swansea, Espanyol, Reading, Watford...................yeah right.[;)][/quote]Stop quoting history OR, you''re getting as bad as the binners. [:D]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="OldRobert"]what have your''s won?[/quote]Lol. Some of the best jobs in British football? [:D][/quote]Southampton, Cardiff, Swansea, Espanyol, Reading, Watford...................yeah right.[;)][/quote]Stop quoting history OR, you''re getting as bad as the binners. [:D][/quote]I agree that will never do, still I reckon having won the ''argument'', if that''s the right word, and having NB as an ally as well, I''ll just go back to sleep.[|-)]

[quote user="OldRobert"]I disagree, I don''t think Mackay has proved anything..........yet, other than he is a manager.  Let''s see how he fares in the top flight before he is judged.  I''m not sure I would want another defender as manager here anyway.[/quote]

find me a manager, who was a succesful striker in his career, who was won many trophies?

guardiola was a defensive midfielder, Mourinho was an amateur full back, Wengers short career was a defender.

so.. lets not have another defensive manager eh?

[quote user="The New Boy Le Juge"]When we talk about the best managers in the history of the game in this country we will usually offer up names like.....
Revie, Busby, Ramsay, Clough, Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho, Dalglish, Shankly, Paisley, Robson (Bobby)
I think the only one of those who was a defender in a traditional sense was Bob Paisley. Shankly was a ''right half'' which is not really anything like a right back in this day and age, more like a right midfielder. 
So it is true that in this country at least the most successful managers have been attacking players. 

[/quote]

Ramsay was a full-back, and I would question Dalglish''s place in that list. I would also question what is meant by "attacking" players. I don''t think many out and out strikers/wingers have made really top class managers. Offhand I can''t think of one winger! But if you mean midfielders, including the old wing-half, who was often as much a defender as an attacker, then yes. Generally speaking it is players who have to think tactically about the game, such as defenders and midfielders, who make the best managers, rather than pure attackers.Look at NCFC''s best postwar managers. Saunders was a bull at a gate striker, but Macaulay, O''Neill, Rioch and Lambert were wing-half/midfielders, Bond, Brown, Stringer and Hughton defenders, and Walker a goalie.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="The New Boy Le Juge"]When we talk about the best managers in the history of the game in this country we will usually offer up names like.....

[/quote]

Ramsay was a full-back, and I would question Dalglish''s place in that list. I would also question what is meant by "attacking" players. I don''t think many out and out strikers/wingers have made really top class managers. Offhand I can''t think of one winger! But if you mean midfielders, including the old wing-half, who was often as much a defender as an attacker, then yes. Generally speaking it is players who have to think tactically about the game, such as defenders and midfielders, who make the best managers, rather than pure attackers.Look at NCFC''s best postwar managers. Saunders was a bull at a gate striker, but Macaulay, O''Neill, Rioch and Lambert were wing-half/midfielders, Bond, Brown, Stringer and Hughton defenders, and Walker a goalie.

[/quote]

Silly me. I left Roeder off that list. Another defender.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

find me a manager, who was a succesful striker in his career, who was won many trophies?

guardiola was a defensive midfielder, Mourinho was an amateur full back, Wengers short career was a defender.

so.. lets not have another defensive manager eh?[/quote]SAF?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="The New Boy Le Juge"]When we talk about the best managers in the history of the game in this country we will usually offer up names like.....

[/quote]

[/quote]

Silly me. I left Roeder off that list. Another defender.

[/quote]

Terrific footballing defender too. Quite a rarity in his time!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="OldRobert"]I disagree, I don''t think Mackay has proved anything..........yet, other than he is a manager.  Let''s see how he fares in the top flight before he is judged.  I''m not sure I would want another defender as manager here anyway.[/quote]

so.. lets not have another defensive manager eh?[/quote]Johan Cruyff was a fairly good striker if memory serves me right.When he managed Ajax in the 1980''s they won a couple of Dutch Cups (85-86, 86-87) and a UEFA Cup (87), plus a couple of league runners-up (85-86, 86-87). They also won the 1995 Champions League using the formation and playing system that Cruyff introduced to the club.Cruyff then managed Barcelona, who won La Liga  four times between 1991 and 1994, beat Sampdoria in both the 1989 European Cup Winners'' Cup final and the 1992 European Cup final., the Copa Del Rey in 1990, the European Super Cup in 1992 and three SuperCopa Espana.14 trophies in 9 seasons, does that count as a success?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"] find me a manager, who was a succesful striker in his career, who was won many trophies? [/quote]
Alex Ferguson was a beast of a striker.
Brian Clough was a goal machine too.
Don Revie was a second striker who banged in a hundred league goals. 
Too easy.