Sign in to follow this  
It's Character Forming

Team for Ars*nal

Looking forward to the trip to North London on Saturday.  I missed out on the ballot for the 3-3 draw under Lambert.  I was very much there for the game in the spring when we looked to be on course for an unlikely win as Arsenal were running out of ideas when a linesman gave them an undeserved penalty in the dying minutes, after which we crumbled to one of the most infuriating defeats I have been to as a City fan.

This is one of those fixtures like Spurs where we "ought" to lose by a couple of goals - can safely say that will be the Lawro prediction.  They have quality players and have started the season well.  But of course if we get at them, don''t sit back and let them have too much unchallenged possession in our half, have a bit of luck and take our chances, they are the sort of team we can beat.

So I''m wondering what people think for the lineup ?  I would go with the same lineup as vs Chelsea assuming no enforced changes.  Fer/Tettey/Howson in midfield is a must, Olsson and Martin at fullback.  You''ve got to go with Basso and Turner at CBs if they''re both fit obviously with Ruddy in goal.  On the flanks I would stick with Pilks and Snoddy for a tough game like this (assuming both are fit).  Redmond''s place is to come on if we are behind at 65-70 minutes.  RVW up front.

I''d possibly drop Bassong. Performances have been poor recently. Not being fully fit cant be used as an excuse, Ryan Bennett will be better than both Turner and Bassong if given game time imo!!

[quote user="I am a Banana"]I''d possibly drop Bassong. Performances have been poor recently. Not being fully fit cant be used as an excuse, Ryan Bennett will be better than both Turner and Bassong if given game time imo!!

[/quote]

Part of me agrees with you, Ryan Bennett looked so good against Stoke and Basso certainly struggled against Chelsea and Villa at times.  But if he is fit - hopefully he''s had a break without being on international duty - then Basso is our main leader on the pitch so is essential for a trip to a place like the Emirates.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]I''d possibly drop Bassong. Performances have been poor recently. Not being fully fit cant be used as an excuse, Ryan Bennett will be better than both Turner and Bassong if given game time imo!!

[/quote]Yeah strangely find I''ve been thinking the same.

[/quote]

Are we now living in a world where IAAB makes sensible well thought out points?!

WTF is going on..

Yes agree with OP, same team subject to fitness situation after the internationals. As for Bassong, he has had two more weeks to get his fitness up, so expect him to be back closer to his top form, which means he is probably one of the first on CH''s team sheet.

Sure this is going to be tough, very tough, and for me the key will be riding the storm for the first half, as from what I have seen from this Arsenal team they tend to drop in performance as the game progresses...BUT are almost unplayable when they are at full throttle and "having a go" is certainly not the way to play against them I feel. Would love more luck than we received in what appeared an almost corrupt performace from the officials last season, and a point would be fantastic of course....its possible. 

Note to Lappininup....I didnt cheek for grammar or spelling mistakes :-)

Same again, unless pilks is out then redmond on. Im half wondering if bennett is worth replacing turner at the moment.