Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

Making targets public

Hello.

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I was just interested in people''s thoughts re Alan Bowkett coming out and saying they''ve set a target of a top 10 finish.

Whilst this was probably the assumed target by many fans, is it smart to come out and openly set the manager and team a target? A certain Mr. Lambert used to say (and I''m sure still would) that all targets are best kept in-house as once fans are aware of those targets, as soon as they aren''t being met, people will start to get on your back.

I suppose the other side of that argument is that in 2009 we revealed a 7 year plan to become an established Premier League side. Setting that target openly seemed to work quicker than any of us thought.

Just wondering what people thought about Bowkett''s comments. I think we all assumed top 10 was the target, but to openly tell people what the target is - didn''t think we were that type of club to openly reveal targets like this. Maybe an overreaction from me. Interested to know what you all think. Ta

I was surprised he said it, but have no problem with any person, organisation or team having a target as long as its realistic.....and Top 10 is just about realistic at a stretch for Norwich City even from where we are placed right now, and as long as we aim for it we should at least come close to it, and much better than stating the target is 17th!!.

for lack of a better phrase, DC, I may have to "set you right" on that comment.

in no way did he say that survival was unacceptable nor did he say he wouldn''t take anything less than a top 10 finish.

I just thought it strange as we are a club, since McNally came, that discloses nothing i.e. transfer fees, what happened when Lambert left, targets etc. So slightly strange that AB would come out and say what our targets are.

Saying that if anyone will disclose info, it will most likely be Bowkett. He''s not one for keeping his mouth shut it seems.

I really don''t know what the fuss is about, last season our ''target'' was survival in the Premier league and we finished 11th.

Deptford Canary wrote the following post at 2013-10-12 5:11 PM:

I think this constitutes a shot across Hughton''s bows - a warning that ''survival'' is no longer an acceptable goal

EXACTLY what it was! Bowkett authorised 27m spending on CH targets. We are 3rd bottom in the league, with our lightweight expensive striker on ONE goal! We have won ONE home game and ONE away game in the premier league this season. Bowkett wants improvement and value for money, which he is not seeing!

I think it was just to placate fans by making it clear that this club is ambitious and wants to progress.
Hughton won''t be losing his job if we finish 11th or 12th as a result.
Doomed if they do and doomed if they don''t, the last chief exec used to come out with "prudence with ambition", our current chairman comes out with "we want to finish 10th" and he is criticised.
I''m glad he came out and said it. They backed the manager in the market and expectation rises accordingly, sounds fair to me. 
The deal was that if Hughton kept us up last season he would be given a huge transfer budget. He was given a huge transfer budget, with some left for January, and now the bar of expectation has risen. 
Sounds perfectly logical to me. The difference between a target of 17th and 10th is of course that there is a margin for failure, there isn''t when the target is 17th. You can''t have a target of 17th and finish 18th. 
Nobody is going to care much if we finish 11th again. 

NB(LJ) wrote:

The deal was that if Hughton kept us up last season he would be given a huge transfer budget. He was given a huge transfer budget, with some left for January......

Oh I see, you work on the inside and know all about the deals and promises made between the Chairman.......or is it the Chief Exec, as you don''t seem to know the difference, and Chris Hughton!

Those spectacles are greener, yellower and thicker than I thought!

I think if you actually properly digest what he was saying, the point he was making was.

The financial aim is 16th but obviously they''d like to best last season so 10th would be a great hypothetical aim. I think they''re still genuinely aiming for survival this season, any better is a bonus.