Sign in to follow this  
nu_matik

Steve Downes article 'Rather we got relegated'...?

Reading the new article by said journo on the front page has literlaly sent me to despair.How many of you actually feel like this? I really dont get it. Surely you want your team to be playing in the best most competetive league, playing the top teams in the country, watching world class players come to Carrow Road? Or am I wrong? Is it about being the best of ''something'' i.e the best of a bad bunch, and not trying to beat the best to become the best of the best? I am left massively confused by this guy''s view point and wonder who many of you feel the same way and prefer to see us in The Championship playing Yeovil and trying to make a run in the cup, just so we are winning games?

Its a doubled edged sword,Id be lying if I said I''d enjoyed the last 2 and a half year as much as the years in League One and The Championship

It was utter twaddle. Totally illogical.

So what do you do after relegation? Desperately hope you don''t overperform, just in case you might get ............. PROMOTED!!!???? And you''re bound to do better in the cups, because you''ve now got a better squad .........

Has it never occurred to him that we might, you know, quite by accident, somehow or other, actually do BETTER & actually EXCEED OUR EXPECTATIONS ........ IN THE PREMIERSHIP????

As for the bonkers crew applauding the post as a well written (!) work of near genius ....

If ever there was a ''Little Norwich'' mentality, then this sort of attitude exemplifies it.

[quote user="ron obvious"]It was utter twaddle. Totally illogical. So what do you do after relegation? Desperately hope you don''t overperform, just in case you might get ............. PROMOTED!!!???? And you''re bound to do better in the cups, because you''ve now got a better squad ......... Has it never occurred to him that we might, you know, quite by accident, somehow or other, actually do BETTER & actually EXCEED OUR EXPECTATIONS ........ IN THE PREMIERSHIP???? As for the bonkers crew applauding the post as a well written (!) work of near genius .... If ever there was a ''Little Norwich'' mentality, then this sort of attitude exemplifies it.[/quote]

Agree with this. Utter tosh.

Steve Downes is an idiot...Beating Man united or losing to Doncaster Rovers?come on Steve it''s not a difficult decision is it?

What a f&%£king idiot.Sod off down to Poorman Rd where all your dreams can be realised.

He''s right in what he says though. But I wouldn''t entertain the thoughts of wanting us to be relegated. I can''t reconcile that with being a supporter because I always want my club to finish as high as possible and be competing with the best.

But I''ll tell you what.. we finished 11th last year with more bitching on here than at anytime since 2009. Wigan got relegated but their fans were happier than a lot of ours who post on here. Steve Downes is certainly not alone...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

He''s right in what he says though. But I wouldn''t entertain the thoughts of wanting us to be relegated. I can''t reconcile that with being a supporter because I always want my club to finish as high as possible and be competing with the best.

But I''ll tell you what.. we finished 11th last year with more bitching on here than at anytime since 2009. Wigan got relegated but their fans were happier than a lot of ours who post on here. Steve Downes is certainly not alone...

[/quote]

Totally agree. I think the headline of the article paints an inaccurate picture of the point he''s trying to make throughout the rest of it. Football has, or at least the leagues (and cups) in England, been changed forever by the overpowering success of the Premier League, not so much the desire of getting into it, but more the fear (from a financial point-of-view) of dropping out of it.

[quote user="CDMullins"]Its a doubled edged sword,Id be lying if I said I''d enjoyed the last 2 and a half year as much as the years in League One and The Championship[/quote]It really isn''t CDM. Just go and ask Wolves, Coventy, Pompey, Middsboro, Derby etc etc fans if getting relegated made their day.If you can''t enjoy competing with the best then there really is no point in being a supporter. There are plenty of teams who are never going to be big enough to get a shot at the Premier League. Some of you people don''t deserve a club like NCFC.

Worst article ever, and made even worse as its on the net so you can''t even wipe your arse with it!

The article I would say is more of a blog than an a feature suited for print. I see his point, we are in a league we will likely never win. But who would you rather be playing Steve, Yovil, Doncaster and Barnsley in a half full ground, or Chelsea, Man U and Arsene in a packed stadium?

Sure the money has changed the game, but I would rather be on this side of the financial divide as would Doncaster and Barnsley.

Give the man a happy pill and move on.

Wot? No streams?

No highlights on MotD or Match Choice?

No write up in The Game or mentions on Gillette Soccer Saturday?

Becoming anonymous and skint like ITFC?

The man''s daft.

A very narrow perspective to boot!

Steve, Support Manchester United. It''s always been the easier choice and join the millions of mindless cheerleaders around the world. Norwich is a too sufisticated choice to follow.

The point that people are missing here is the article reflects on the relative priorities of the board. They don''t want a Europa League run as it costs money. They would rather 10th place and out of the cups in 3rd round than win a cup and relegated. What Downes is saying is not that he wants to see us relegated, its that he would rather see us win a cup and get relegated that mill around the middle of the table for eternity.

The point a previous poster makes about enjoying League One/Championship more than the last 2 years is one a lot of us can sympathise with. In those 2 years we were challenging for a measurable success and they joy I took out of Simeon Jacksons winners at Derby and Portsmouth eclipses anything from the last 2 and a bit seasons.

Really, football is in a sad state these days in that no-one can really challenge the top 4-6 so what do the rest aspire to? A cup final or Europa League qualification. But the noises coming out of CR are that they prioritise PL safety and financial stability. Which is fine but it appears it''s at the expense of a cup final or playing in Europe.

This then poses a difficult conundrum for us as fans. We''ve not yet reached that glass ceiling but what happens when we do?

If you''re suggesting the board don''t want a European run full stop, you''re as daft as Steve Downes! Of course the club and everyone involved in it (except Steve) want Euro action, they want cups, they wants wins and good times. The board are saying the dont want or need it NOW, and I agree. We have more pressing needs. I think this just stinks of certain fans forgetting where we are and what''s just happened... Do we really need to remind anyone where we were a few years ago? We had a plan, and we smashed that plan and now we are making our targets such as survival last year, and we have a very realistic target of top ten which is a step up from last year. I understand that there will be some negative Nancies who just think ''oh well, we''ll never win cause Man City and Chelsea have all the money''. Well I think that sucks. There have been teams who were on a downward slope such as Newcastle and Spurs that have been up there with a chance in recent times. But what? ''we''re little Norwich , whats the point in trying, lets go smash Barnsley?'' RUBBISH!! Do you forget what it was like down in the doldrums? Debt, crisis, managerial equivalents of dog mess. We need to be positive and keep on cracking on with targets and thats the only way to have a go. We wont always hit targets but keep making decent ones, use the fact we dont have external debt, and maybe just maybe investment is round the corner, who knows?  Anyone who has such a negative mindset should bugger off, let someone else have your season ticket and go support one of the ''big 4''.

I really do question whether the guy actually believes it himself - or did he have a few column inches to fill and was at a loose end.
I do not believe that there is a Norwich fan anywhere who would not be completely and utterly gutted if relegation were to happen. Mr Downes included. As Ricardo points out relegation is not a panacea. More likely to be the start of more problems and a further slide down the slippery pole.
What Downes does capture though is the stark contrast of premier league reality. After a two seasons when we got more points than any other club in the four divisions bar none, were one of the top scoring teams not the most prolific, when last minute winners almost became the norm followed by the excitement of being back in the top tier - well then just surviving can seem a little mundane. Some supporters will now be looking for their adrenalin fix.
But to suggest relegation is the answer - complete madness. 

Total twaddle... how many Championship sides win the League or FA Cup for example. Just last season Swansea and Wigan were able to claim a trophy.

In the premiership success is staying up, followed by winning cups or challenging for the European places.

We had many far worse seasons in the Championship, with worse players and dismal performances.

While I agree with a lot of what you say matik, in the absence of an investor there will probably come a point where we reach a bit of a glass ceiling. The achievements we can then shout about are that we finished 8th and made a £5 million profit. Woooooo! Sussex is correct in saying at that point, everything becomes a bit mundane and is correct in saying that none of us want to see us relegated, while recognising that the 2009/10 - 2010/11 seasons were by far the most exciting in recent times. Our best chance of getting something to get worked up about is then a cup run, something that (league cup aside last year) we''ve not really shown much of an appetite for.

I think this is the reality for the modern (non gloryhunting) fan. The fact our board quantify a deep run in the Europa League as one places merit payment in the Premier League tells you what the priority is.

I can''t believe I saw that post.

Yes a cup is a wonderful thing, and you can stay in this league and win it etc. I have no problem with boards comments. In order to survive as a club we need premiership football. We fought so hard to get back here he wants to give it up for a cup and Europa run which could lead to less £££ than premiership football.

If we won a cup I would be delighted it would be a moment to treasure but I can take being in the best league in the world with.great players coming in, the more years like this the merrier. Lets ride this crest of a wave rather than bemoan it

Sorry but a badly written article on a topic we all know and have discussed, in regard to prem £ making the cup obtainable for the bigger clubs more regularly.

I do understand the ''Hitting a glass ceiling'' issue you are talking about. But has that happened? Are we there, or anywhere near there yet? No. Why do people have to have such negative outlooks? I was there the same time as those people, feeling on top of the world after  huge unbeaten runs, all those games won on the trot, the new stadiums for away days in league 1 and  usually coming home with 3 points and  new tales of a  mad night out after in a new place. But why does the future have to be so bleak? Maybe we wont ever win the Premier League due to those big 4 having all the advantage, but why is there going to be any advantage related to being in a lower league to win cups? I cant see why we cant bag a top 5 finish in the next 5 years if things take the same kind of major turn for us witha new manager perhaps, just like the one we didnt see coming with the  signing of Paul Lambert and co. Why does ''hitting a glass ceiling'' and being up there with not just top english clubs but WORLD CLASS teams have to be a bad thing?

If you support the club then you will want it to be as successful as possible, and finishing 17th in the Premier League is more successful than finishing 7th in the Championship.Relegation and a cup win would hurt the club''s finances in a way that staying in the PL wouldn''t.I really don''t get where the author of the article is coming from.  I think his view is self-interested.

I can see where he is coming from and I feel similar. I want a cup run and European football. I believe being a top ten premiership team you have more of a chance than if your a championship team. Surely we can survive in the premiership and play European football aswell?

nu_matik wrote the following post at 12/10/2013 6:23 PM:

That doesn''t make sense.

what I am saying is we have more of a chance winning a cup and European football if we stay in the premiership. I want both because ive never seen Norwich in a cup final and European football would be great for the fans. Maybe its not as rewarding financially but as a fan I want to see us winning something not just rubbing shoulders with the big boys. Would I take 17th place and winning the league cup or no cup and finishing 10th  too bloody right I  would.

--- First Wizard: Surely no one advocates relegation.....do they?

The point is would you take an FA Cup win if we got relegated in the process.

Of course it is a total non-sequitor, Swansea won the league cup and stayed up finishing above us in the table.

In my eyes a failure would be getting relegated after 5-6 seasons having failed to secure a League Cup win or FA Cup final appearance, or at least one European spot in the preceding years.

Citizen Journalist Foghorn wrote the following post at 12/10/2013 6:46 PM:

--- First Wizard: Surely no one advocates relegation.....do they? The point is would you take an FA Cup win if we got relegated in the process. Of course it is a total non-sequitor, Swansea won the league cup and stayed up finishing above us in the table. In my eyes a failure would be getting relegated after 5-6 seasons having failed to secure a League Cup win or FA Cup final appearance, or at least one European spot in the preceding years. 

completely agree with the above comment.

I have to say I found the article thoroughly depressing and, in all honesty, embarrassing - a true ''small club'' mentality being shown.

What the article fails to address is the fact that, by remaining in the PL, we actually have a better chance of winning meaningful silverware, being the two domestic cups. We have a far better squad than probably since the early 90''s, and that in itself gives us a better chance of success in those competitions, and that is down to staying in the PL for three seasons.

I won''t deny that League One and the Championship promotions were exhilarating. But that doesn''t mean that we should wish for those days to return because finishing 10th in the PL is more of an achievement than any of the successes of those seasons, and more importantly it has secured the Club''s future and ensures that we get to see the best quality players both in our side and in the opposition visiting Carrow Road.

To suggest he''d rather see us relegated and win a cup is to do down the achievements of the last 5 years that have got us to this position.

Please Archant, remove this dreadful article.