Sign in to follow this  
daz

whittaker

is he injured or something ? people keep talking about the team for arsenal with Russell martin at rb....

whittaker is definitely better at getting forward and more skilful he can cross unlike Robert ''I always hit 1st man'' snodgrass aswell.....

just a thought...

also some people say RVW doesn''t do a lot.... apart from his runs vs Chelsea he won practically ALL the headers has an awesome leap on him shae for lack of goals at the minute that''s all...

OTBC

Hi Daz, not injured just our most productive defender, according to the stats I collated before the Chelsea game, I suspect they remained pretty much the same after. other than the fact Martin Olsson would have entered the fray.  I think the term accurate is the key.  Russ just goes about his job professionally and without a fuss and because he stays below the radar his contribution is often underrated, but not by those that are in the position to select teams, both in the Prem and at International level. 

Accurate Passes per Game = RM (55.3), JG (37.2), SW (33.4), MT (33.2), RB (29.5), SB (21.3)

Accurate Crosses per Game = RM (0.5), JG (0.4), SW (0.2), SB (0.0), MT (0.0), RB (0.0)

Accurate Long Balls per Game = RM (4.8), MT(2.0), SW (1.8), SB (1.3), JG (1.2), RB (1.0)

Just realised my previous post should have read, not injured just not our most productive defender ........

Wouldn''t be the first time Joanna and don''t suppose it will be the last, however I''m sure Paul Lambert, Chris Hughton and Gordon Strachan don''t rely solely on stats to continually select Russ Martin, so what does this prove other than, those in the know, those who know a good player when they see one, those who are considered reasonably successful at what they do and those who get paid the big bucks to do it obviously rate Russ Martin.  So do the stats back up their opinion or is their opinion influenced by the stats??,  

Either way imo Russ Martin is a credit to the club and his profession and deserves his place in the team, probably our best Captain too, tough on Whits but that''s life.

Its always amazed me how some people come out and say Whittaker is miles better than Martin.

He''s probably better than Martin going forward, but from what i''ve seen Martin is much better at connecting with the RW. But Whittaker has a bit more about him, with first time crosses and bursting into the box, something Martin did a bit more in the Championship, and is still capable of but has to be pushed into doing so, whereas Whittaker is looking to do so.

But in my opinion, Martin is definitely better in defence. He knows how to play like a FB, hold the winger up, try to put them off, limit room for them, doesn''t give them the opportunity to get a decent ball in. If Snoddy was up against Martin he''d never get a decent cross in, if he were up against Whittaker he''d get plenty of chance.

Whittaker gets forward more than RM. he''s more attack minded. When he was playing Garrido, our more conservative left back was in the team.

Now that Olsson is starting, our more more conservative RB is too. I don''t think we can afford to have two full back in the team that bomb forward at every opportunity.

It has also coincided with Redmond being injured, allowing Olsson into the team to get forward as Pilkington will cover for him, whereas Redmond''s defensive game needs work.

When Redmond starts again I suspect we''ll see Garrido again if he starts on the left, or Olsson and Martin if NR replaces Snodgrass.

Haha Redmond replacing Snoddy.

Who do you think we have as manager?

Snodgrass is clearly in possession of some very explicit images of Hughton. He is now know as Mr.Robert ''Can''t be dropped even if I miss a penalty and cross the ball straight into the GKs arms a dozen times during a game'' Snodgrass.

Granted, its a rather long name, but i feel it captures the situation best.

Ginge

Just watched the Scotland game. Snoddy scored and had a great game.

Given the much sharper performance from him against Chelsea I think our Snodders just may be coming back to form.

Oh, and to keep on topic, Russ was impeccable at centre half again for Scotland too.