Sign in to follow this  
Returning Avatar

Campaign for fairer away ticket prices

This would cost our club money, have you thought about that? 
I won''t sign for that reason. 
We allocate 2500 away tickets, we can''t allocate any more, we tend to sell them out against all but a few of the Northern teams and could even sell many more against London clubs. 
If we can sell 2500 a week for £45, and are forced to sell them at say £30, then we could be looking at three quarters of a million lost to the club.
And who would cover that shortfall? The home fans. So I''m out. 

I didn''t think I made a comment either way? It''s there for information, there are plenty of arguments for and against capping prices, people might want to have a debate about their differing points of view. Calm down mate.

[quote user="The New Boy Le Juge"]This would cost our club money, have you thought about that? 
We allocate 2500 away tickets, we can''t allocate any more, we tend to sell them out against all but a few of the Northern teams and could even sell many more against London clubs. 
If we can sell 2500 a week for £45, and are forced to sell them at say £30, then we could be looking at three quarters of a million lost to the club.
[/quote]

You are beyond ignorant.

We are part of a TV deal worth about £5bn, if the club wanted to make up pitiful shortfalls like a few hundred thousand on us then it''s not away ticket prices we should be looking at.

Are you loyal to the clubs profit margins or to your fellow football supporters? Do you favour a world where everybody can watch their team or just the fortunate few?

The campaign for fairer away tickets is much needed, otherwise how long will it be before we''re paying £50 at every away game, like we already have been when in London?

As long as it was there for every club. We wouldn''t lose out as much then, it''d still be a more significant percentage loss compared to the big clubs though. I bet they''d have some way around it, such as a £10 booking fee or something.

[quote user="iwansnorwich"][quote user="The New Boy Le Juge"]This would cost our club money, have you thought about that? 
[/quote]

You are beyond ignorant.

We are part of a TV deal worth about £5bn, if the club wanted to make up pitiful shortfalls like a few hundred thousand on us then it''s not away ticket prices we should be looking at.

Are you loyal to the clubs profit margins or to your fellow football supporters? Do you favour a world where everybody can watch their team or just the fortunate few?

The campaign for fairer away tickets is much needed, otherwise how long will it be before we''re paying £50 at every away game, like we already have been when in London?[/quote]I really hate this argument. Just because we have more revenue these days, does not mean we need to run the business with loose purse strings. It''s that attitude that get''s clubs on that slippery slope (re: Leeds, Portsmouth, et. al.)Let''s put it another way. That £750,000 would be roughly 1% of gross revenue. That''s out revenue cut by 1% due to this decision. Assuming someone earnt £35,000 a yeah, this would be the equivalent of them taking a £350 a year, or roughly £30 a month pay cut.Would that be annoying to that person? I think it would be.

Tickets in the Prem range from the £25 for Arsenal to around £50 for Man C etc.

If you go to see a band at a major venue it costs about the same, actually I''ve paid £60 for an arena concert recently.

So I think it''s a non-point.

[quote user="iwansnorwich"] You are beyond ignorant. [/quote] 
Ignorance suggests lack of knowledge, and you haven''t told me anything that I didn''t already know. So clarification required I''m afraid. 
[quote] We are part of a TV deal worth about £5bn, if the club wanted to make up pitiful shortfalls like a few hundred thousand on us then it''s not away ticket prices we should be looking at. [/quote]
We are a part of a series of TV deals, not one single TV deal. By stating "£5bn" as the figure you give the impression that the TV deal is worth £250m to us (£5bn divided by 20 clubs). It is not though is it? The TV money drives football in its entirety, from the national team, to the bureaucrats, the tax man gets a nice chunk of it. We certainly don''t get £250m. 
[quote] Are you loyal to the clubs profit margins or to your fellow football supporters? [/quote]
As a lifetime fan of this football club, who has invariably found football very affordable or unaffordable depending on my current position on the rollercoaster of life, I am really grateful that we are not one of the many clubs who are one event away from becoming a Portsmouth or a Coventry. We nearly became one just four years ago, can you remember? The clubs financial position is very important to me, as much as I would like to see cheaper casual tickets. We could be West Ham (£90m in debt), we could be QPR (insolvent as soon as the Mittals get bored), Man Utd (paying for their own takeover). Southampton are another club who look to be spending above their true self-sustainable means, and to be honest I am grateful to have a board who can manage finances in a responsible business-like way. 
[quote] Do you favour a world where everybody can watch their team or just the fortunate few? [/quote]
Actually I have stated numerous times in recent days/weeks that I would love to see a ground expansion, or safe-style standing, in order to maintain or slightly lower the cost of casual tickets. Not knowing this is my very definition "ignorance" isn''t it? You thought you knew enough about me to call me ignorant, it turns out that you have formed a completely inaccurate (fabricated?) impression of me based on very limited information or experience, or without the benefit of knowledge. But what I will say is that if people could afford £25, but can''t afford £50, then what that means in reality is that they can attend one game instead of two games doesn''t it? The paradox that you create here though is that if tickets were cheaper, then demand would drastically rise, supply is severely limited at Carrow Road and at most grounds in the league. It would be incredibly hard to get a casual ticket at £25, but it is relatively easy to get a ticket to some games at £50. 
So whilst you could easily attend a game for £50, you would struggle to get a ticket for any games at £25 yet alone two, so perhaps football is actually more accessible to those on a low income with high ticket prices. The only solution to ''supply'' is to create more seats, something which will really stretch this club financially (£3m per year for 20 years to be precise, and top tier football is guaranteed for that two decades, in fact is unlikely). "A few hundred thousand" (I make it three quarters of a million) becomes quite significant. You could say that our high ticket prices will eventually partially provide the capital required to enable this club to offer lower (relative to value of pound in the future) ticket prices. That is called "the bigger picture", which apparently only ignorant people like me can understand, and the non-ignorant like you cannot. 
Of course if somebody cannot afford £50 then they shouldn''t worry too much about football, instead worry about how they can progress professionally and/or personally in order to try and ensure that they can secure the purchasing power necessary to spend money on leisure in the future. Stopping playing the victim struggling to survive in a world full of successful people and focusing on becoming on themselves is the way forward. Maybe the person taking their seat for £50 made lots of sacrifices in their younger years to fund their development and become an accredited professional? During which time they couldn''t afford to attend football because they were paying for tuition and college costs? Like me? Who couldn''t afford to go to football for 18 months but now can? 
[quote] The campaign for fairer away tickets is much needed, otherwise how long will it be before we''re paying £50 at every away game, like we already have been when in London? [/quote]
Some of the most expensive away tickets in the league can be found at........... Carrow Road. So if you feel aggrieved at paying £50 a ticket in London, then perhaps you should lobby David McNally to encourage him to reduce ticket prices for Stoke fans, and Hull fans, who are used to paying much less for casual tickets in their home stadiums? 

I think that a better campaign would be for the FA (who have bloody millions to waste from their huge share of the TV money. as evidenced by that massive national training ground thing which won''t make our footballers any more talented) to give grants to every club in the land, which they then have to use to subsidise very cheap (cost price) coach travel to all away games. 
The ticket price is not the primary prohibitive factor in away trips, it is the cost of the day as a whole, which makes it a lot more expensive than a home game. 

While I understand your argument I don''t think it''s really comparable. As a dedicated supporter, I go to all games, spending about £600-700 a year on away tickets alone. Not including fuel etc.

I''m sure even the most avid concert goer doesn''t go to 19 concerts in 9 months, thus it doesn''t relate.

A concert is a one off, and doesn''t attract 25,000+ therefore the price should be higher.

Having just shelled out £46 for the cup game, I can tell you that there really is a valid point here!