Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

RvW - The dirty bu**er

I think its just the nature of the beast of a lone striker, especially one in City''s colours where he must fight hard for everything. Holty''s stats were exactly the same.   MMind you, he was a dirty beggar.............. :)

Probably reflects his frustrations at times so far.

But looking at it positively, it also shows he is now giving as good as he gets after a couple of matches'' worth of being pushed off the ball. An important lesson in this league. He hasn''t mastered the fine line of doing so with better timing, and without drawing unnecessary attention to it, but that will come with time.

[quote user="GenerationA47"]

Probably reflects his frustrations at times so far.

But looking at it positively, it also shows he is now giving as good as he gets after a couple of matches'' worth of being pushed off the ball. An important lesson in this league. He hasn''t mastered the fine line of doing so with better timing, and without drawing unnecessary attention to it, but that will come with time.

[/quote]

you make it sound like Ricky is just some 17 year old starting on his way...

he would have had rough treatment in Portugal and Holland....

Not as rough, and I think it''s a mix of unluckiness with decisions (Lloris hand ball outside the box for instance) and frustration.

Hopefully he''ll push on now and be allowed to play his proper game by defenders.

Yep sure Jas, playing style may have been equally robust in the Netherlands (I don''t know), but he was away for 2 seasons in Portugal where the game is slightly slower and less physical. If so, he hasn''t really taken long to get back into the Anglo-Dutch style (if there is such a thing). Didn''t you think he looked a bit naive around being muscled off in his early outings here?

Certainly impressed to see him win that header against Chelsea.  And against Stoke he jumped against 2 defenders, didn''t get a touch of the ball but nevertheless did enough that the Stoke player couldn''t control the ball, and it fell perfectly for Pilks to slip it inside to Howson. 

So a key physical contribution by RVW to our last 2 goals.

The Everton game stats for him told a lot, 12 touches and 1 goal. It was clear he had a bit of getting used to do then. He did look like he''d finally arrived versus Chelsea and Stoke though, we just need another goal.

The Stoke header for the goal impressed me most, as he knew he''d never win the header, but he''s forced the mistake and we''ve scored from it. I''ve always said that when i''ve had short people on my team, at least put a challenge in or some kind of Holt style shove, a rubbish header from an opponent is just as good as winning one yourself.

I''d agree with that, Jimmy

Potential for getting more balls through to him too, and connect with the lonely Wolf, now that our midfield is starting to click