Sign in to follow this  
crabbycanary

Six Foot Two, Eyes are Blue in a Care Home

Duncan Forbes has had to be put in a Care Home by his family because of Alzheimers (article in EDP today, sorry don''t know how to do a link)

Desperately sad for all concerned

Terribly sad news for the big man and his family.

My best wishes to them all.[W]

Terribly sad news for the big man and his family.

My best wishes to them all.[W]

I just cannot begin to put into words how I feel about this dreadful disease as I lost my mother to dementia 18 months ago and I had heard stories that the great man was suffering. Having read the EDP article I don''t mind admitting it brought a tear to my eye.

Break the man in two and he would bleed yellow and green, a great great club man and professional who gave everything for the cause and took no prisoners.

Fantastic memories abound of big Dunc - my thoughts are with you and your family at such a difficult time.

One of my first City heroes and now he''s been struck down by the same evil disease that robbed me of my dear old Dad who brought me to Carrow Rd as a 6yr old...

Tears in my eyes as I read that report...

God bless to him & his family.

Brought a tear to my eye also Tilly. I count myself lucky having chatted with him many times during his club cabbage days and learning what an absolute top man he was.

When driving to the Milk Cup Final my car''s engine exploded on the Newmarket Bypass, got towed to garage and continued the journey by Train. After the match turned up at Liverpool Street and met Big Dunc who was managing the Club Cabbage chartered trains. Told him what happened and after he made me and my mate wait a bit to ensure we weren''t scamming to let us on the train for free.

Top Man, very sad for the family but happy memories

Can only add to the thoughts that have already been expressed; Duncan was always willing to give fans his time and for such a quick witted man to suffer from this just adds to the sadness.

I actually knew of this a while ago, I have a relative who works in the caring profession...

so very sad, I wonder if heading of the old style footballs had anything to do with it?

Terribly sad news for big Dunc and his family.  Legend is an often used word but none as so fitting as Dunc.

I remember watching him play and then anyone who used Club Canary in the 80''s know what a fantastic person he is.

Best wishes to him and his family

How desperately sad.  Had the privilege to know the big man a little.  Always had time for a chat.  My sympathies go to his wife and family.  What a cruel disease it is.

Very sad and I wish Big Dunc and his family all good wishes and strength, most definately a true NCFC legend. 

Degenerative disorders like Alzheimer''s, Huntingdon''s and Parkinson''s I think are often dramatically under estimated in terms of just how damaging they are to the person and those who care for them compared to other illnesses, it''s very close to home for me, so I do know this, and can understand fully the impact on Duncan and also his family. 

Yes desperately sad and I join with you all in wishing him and his family well.
Led the team when I started supporting Norwich. His whole hearted approach I think was a big factor in getting us promoted to the top tier for the first time and without that promotion we may never have become the club we are today. Duncan''s contribution should not be underestimated or understated.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]I actually knew of this a while ago, I have a relative who works in the caring profession...

so very sad, I wonder if heading of the old style footballs had anything to do with it?[/quote]
I think that is the implication of the reference to Jeff Astle in the insert in the article Jas.

[quote user="Sussexyellow"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]I actually knew of this a while ago, I have a relative who works in the caring profession...

so very sad, I wonder if heading of the old style footballs had anything to do with it?[/quote]
I think that is the implication of the reference to Jeff Astle in the insert in the article Jas.[/quote]Wasn''t there a suggestion by his family that the heavy ball may have contributed to Bryan Thurlow''s early death?

Must surely be Norwich''s greatest and most inspirational captain ever. A player and man who Norwich supporters easily identified with during his playing days and for years after. The last time I spoke to him was at a game in 2009. It was very sad to see how he was then but this dreadful disease has obviously continued relentlessly. It must be so hard for his family.

Those of us who have lost a loved one to this disease will appreciate the huge impact caring for them has on their spouse/partner or other carers. All of us old enough to have watched Big Dunc in his pomp will feel a huge sense of regret at this news. Not to have received a red card in his City career speaks volumes for a man who played hard yet played fair. He took as much stick as he ever handed out and never once complained. Bobby Gould once described him as the most feared centre half in the old First Division and noted that some centre forwards visibly went white when Dunc ran out with his shorts hitched up, by repeated turning over of the waistband, that made him look even more fearsome.

I''m too young to have caught the big man playing in the flesh, but his contribution to the club has probably been second to none.

Terrible news.

I was mortified to read this news earlier today.

If I was ever be asked to compile a City legends team the spine would be Keelan, Forbes, Peters, Davies that''s how highly I would rate big Dunc. The man was a giant with the heart of a lion whose booming Scottish voice barking out instructions and encouragement could be heard wherever you were in the crowd. If he played today he''d probably be suspended half the time but he never ever complained when he received an elbow in the face in return for stick he dished out. He just shook himself down and got on with the game. And his look of innocence when admonished by a referee ''What me ref?'' as the opposition manager retrieved a 5ft. 5ins. inside forward from Row Z of the South Stand where he''d been planted by Dunc. He would certainly be up there in an award for ''Greatest Clubman Ever''.

So very sad to learn of his condition and the very best wishes to his family. Hopefully they will take comfort from knowing the deep affection in which Dunc. is held.         

i never met him , never travelled on club canary with him and probably just remember him as a player , but a mate of mine always reels off this story when he''s had a few about when they were at a train station in london being goaded by chelseas then notorious fans, my mate says what do we do if they start on us duncan? and the big man says stand behind me laddie stand behind me [:D]

That''s the man Sparto[Y]

My son has his name. Once upon a time they were ''Big Dunc'' and ''Little Dunc''! They were both chuffed when they met each other! Mind you, he''s not such a ''Little Dunc'' now.