Sign in to follow this  
TCCANARY

A Question For Our American Supporters

There are to be more live NFL games played at Wembley Stadium which means 3 teams will effectively lose a home game. When it was suggested that a ''39th game'' with Premier League teams playing games abroad there was a huge protest from fans groups which stopped this happening.

How are the fans of the three teams reacting to losing a home game, if they have season tickets are they being compensated for the loss of this game?

For non USA fans I know this isn''t NCFC related, when this was proposed last time we were outside the PL, but if it was put forward again how would you feel?

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

There are to be more live NFL games played at Wembley Stadium which means 3 teams will effectively lose a home game. When it was suggested that a ''39th game'' with Premier League teams playing games abroad there was a huge protest from fans groups which stopped this happening.

How are the fans of the three teams reacting to losing a home game, if they have season tickets are they being compensated for the loss of this game?

For non USA fans I know this isn''t NCFC related, when this was proposed last time we were outside the PL, but if it was put forward again how would you feel?

[/quote]It''s not going to happen because the fans would never wear it. We have no need to "push" football as a spectacle to the rest of the world it is already the world game. American football is a great game and the NFL are touting it around the globe to increase it''s popularity. If you''ve ever been to an American sporting event you would realise that the Yanks see their games in a totally different light. It''s just a fun day out for them, hot dogs and popcorn etc.In the UK football is part of our culture and our local teams are supported in a far more intense manner than is usual in the states. It''s about who you are and where you come from and it''s about far more than the actual game itself.I love American football and am a long distance Green Bay Packers fan but in comparison to my NCFC allegiance it''s not in the same universe let alone the same ballpark. No 39th game.Ever.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

It''s not going to happen because the fans would never wear it. We have no need to "push" football as a spectacle to the rest of the world it is already the world game. American football is a great game and the NFL are touting it around the globe to increase it''s popularity. If you''ve ever been to an American sporting event you would realise that the Yanks see their games in a totally different light. It''s just a fun day out for them, hot dogs and popcorn etc.

In the UK football is part of our culture and our local teams are supported in a far more intense manner than is usual in the states. It''s about who you are and where you come from and it''s about far more than the actual game itself.

I love American football and am a long distance Green Bay Packers fan but in comparison to my NCFC allegiance it''s not in the same universe let alone the same ballpark.

No 39th game.

Ever.
[/quote]

I''m sorry Ricardo but your post just comes across as someone who hasn''t ever really been part of that American Sports Culture that you''re making sweeping statements about.

Your first point is absolutely spot on in that football as a sport and the Premier League as a brand doesn''t need to be touted across the world like the NFL does, but how many teams pick their pre-season tours on the basis of how many new fans they can get, and how much money they can make out of it? How is what the NFL are doing any different?

"The Yanks see their games in a totally different light. It''s just a fun day out for them, hot dogs and popcorn etc."

Completely wrong. Whilst they do have a fun day out with hot dogs and popcorn, for how many people in Carrow Road on a matchday is that exactly the same? The American matchday is a ritual for many fans and one that should be embraced by English fans with opposition fans spending the days together, getting drunk, enjoying each others company, and having a great time. The rivalry is still there, they just don''t need to be segregated like English footbal fans. It''s not even just America V England in attitudes here because Rugby and Cricket don''t have the same issue.

In the UK football is part of our culture and our local teams are supported in a far more intense manner than is usual in the states. It''s about who you are and where you come from and it''s about far more than the actual game itself.

The same can be said about many many towns and cities in America. Some cities live and die on the success and failures of their sports teams. Norwich talk about the uptake in tourist revenue since we got to the Premier League but companies come and go based on their town''s successes in some towns of America. You ask a Vikings fan how they feel about the Packers and see what they say? Ask a Mets fan how they feel about the Yankees and see what they say? For many fans it''s 100% about who you are and where you come from and far more than the actual game itself. Ask yourself how many towns in England empty just because their local amateur team is playing? We had 8 people at our Sunday league game on Sunday and yet (albeit romanticised in the movies) it regularly happens for High School and College teams empty their whole towns if it''s an away game. How''s that not about who you are and where you''re from?

I love American football and am a long distance Green Bay Packers fan but in comparison to my NCFC allegiance it''s not in the same universe let alone the same ballpark.

Funny that... You''re not from Wisconsin, why would your allegiance be remotely comparable?

The ''39th game'' was never a real thing - a mad ramble from a marketing man who was brain storming but never had backing from anyone in the Premier League and was never going to happen.

Premier League teams are happy to do there overseas promotion pre-season (and increasingly post-season) at the moment. I do think we will see two Premier League clubs agree to play a league fixture in Asia or the US at some point though - overseas TV rights and merchandise sales are becoming a far more important part of the revenue stream compared to gate attendances. Cardiff v QPR in KL? I could see it happening.

[quote user="Howson is now"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]It''s not going to happen because the fans would never wear it. We have no need to "push" football as a spectacle to the rest of the world it is already the world game. American football is a great game and the NFL are touting it around the globe to increase it''s popularity. If you''ve ever been to an American sporting event you would realise that the Yanks see their games in a totally different light. It''s just a fun day out for them, hot dogs and popcorn etc.In the UK football is part of our culture and our local teams are supported in a far more intense manner than is usual in the states. It''s about who you are and where you come from and it''s about far more than the actual game itself.I love American football and am a long distance Green Bay Packers fan but in comparison to my NCFC allegiance it''s not in the same universe let alone the same ballpark. No 39th game.Ever.[/quote]

I''m sorry Ricardo but your post just comes across as someone who hasn''t ever really been part of that American Sports Culture that you''re making sweeping statements about.

Your first point is absolutely spot on in that football as a sport and the Premier League as a brand doesn''t need to be touted across the world like the NFL does, but how many teams pick their pre-season tours on the basis of how many new fans they can get, and how much money they can make out of it? How is what the NFL are doing any different?

"The Yanks see their games in a totally different light. It''s just a fun day out for them, hot dogs and popcorn etc."

Completely wrong. Whilst they do have a fun day out with hot dogs and popcorn, for how many people in Carrow Road on a matchday is that exactly the same? The American matchday is a ritual for many fans and one that should be embraced by English fans with opposition fans spending the days together, getting drunk, enjoying each others company, and having a great time. The rivalry is still there, they just don''t need to be segregated like English footbal fans. It''s not even just America V England in attitudes here because Rugby and Cricket don''t have the same issue.

The same can be said about many many towns and cities in America. Some cities live and die on the success and failures of their sports teams. Norwich talk about the uptake in tourist revenue since we got to the Premier League but companies come and go based on their town''s successes in some towns of America. You ask a Vikings fan how they feel about the Packers and see what they say? Ask a Mets fan how they feel about the Yankees and see what they say? For many fans it''s 100% about who you are and where you come from and far more than the actual game itself. Ask yourself how many towns in England empty just because their local amateur team is playing? We had 8 people at our Sunday league game on Sunday and yet (albeit romanticised in the movies) it regularly happens for High School and College teams empty their whole towns if it''s an away game. How''s that not about who you are and where you''re from?

Funny that... You''re not from Wisconsin, why would your allegiance be remotely comparable?

[/quote]In my opinion I would claim that the intensity is on an entirely different level.I would say that very few at CR see it as a fun day out and your second sentence merely emphasizes my point because that kind of fraternisation could never occur in England.I''m not from Wisconsin but my cousins are and are GBP fanatics. You can sit Packers, Bears, Lions and Vikings down and have a nice civilized chat about the NFC North without it coming to blows. Try doing the same between us and 1p5wich. But I''m sure we could all have a pleasant chat about cricket or rugby wherever we came from.

Believe me, the intensity and Noise at an NFL game is easily comparable to Premier league game.  Try a Redskins/Cowboys game, or a Jets/Pats game. 

The rivalries are just as intense, however maybe our American friends have just evolved a little more and realise that there is no point in kicking the living cr*p out of someone just because they support another team.

However I can easily sit down with supporters of any team and have a pretty civilised debate about the sport.  And I believe most supporters could do the same, it is just a rabid few who unfortunately are several yards short of a first down! So to speak!

HTTR & OTBC

Snake [:D]

A believe though don''t quote me. The 3 home teams are in the process of stadium redevelopments? or planned developments and this may have been part of the reasons they were chosen.

not american and don''t follow the sport of american football closely, even though I live here currently.

from what I understand, the only people upset about this are those in LA. LA have been pushing for a team (Franchise) for many a year now from my understanding and it is looking more likely that London will get an NFL Franchise within the next 10 years than LA.

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]not american and don''t follow the sport of american football closely, even though I live here currently.

from what I understand, the only people upset about this are those in LA. LA have been pushing for a team (Franchise) for many a year now from my understanding and it is looking more likely that London will get an NFL Franchise within the next 10 years than LA.[/quote]

Funny this. Back when channel 4 used to screen American football I used to watch it regularly and then there were 2 teams in LA. which shows the difference that the US model is based on franchises that owners can move freely, compare the uproar over the move of Wimbledon to MK which many fans still view as objectionable and the only club move in the modern era. I don''t think it can be the same for supporters if your team could up sticks across the country.

both the Raiders and the Rams were based in LA... both moved.. neither have won the Superbowl since....

I cant understand the pull of oakland for the Raiders, a return to L A would possibly see them as cend back to what they were.

London wont get a franchise...Britbowl is growing fast.

NFL/NBA (professional sports) don''t have nearly as much passion as the College sports over here. The College games are often watched by bigger crowds than their professional counterparts. With NFL/NBA teams, they are often franchises and as such can be moved to another city if the owner thinks it would be more profitable. College teams are supported by people who have gone to the college/university and the current student body. The UK does not have anything comparable to college sports. However, we do have 3/4 well watched leagues of professional football as well as well watched rugby. In the US you will find nothing below the NFL/NBA to the same extent we have Championship/League 1. Also, there is no relegation in the sports leagues here so there is often not the passion of last games of the season where 3/4/5 teams facing the prospect of relegation.(This also sounds a little topsy turvy as I am a Brit living in the US so I may have confused a few of my "here" and "us" etc and it might not make 100% sense)

Jas, the St Louis Rams won a Superbowl, maybe 2. The Raiders were originally based in Oakland. Since they returned from LA they have been in at least one Superbowl.

R911, a lot of people who support a college program are in no danger of ever being in a college classroom. However, everyone I know who went to college here wears their college on their sleeve. I never got this. And then the whole family joins in on it.

" ...am a long distance Green Bay Packers fan ... " as is my wife, but only based on a certain Mr, Favre looking "cute". However they do wear Yellow and Green, as do my favorite baseball team, Oakland.

I agree with what Houston says about college teams, in LA they are much more concerned with USC''s football program than either the ex-LA Rams or Raiders, but that''s not true at all up in San Fransisco.

[quote user="snake-eyes"]

Believe me, the intensity and Noise at an NFL game is easily comparable to Premier league game.  Try a Redskins/Cowboys game, or a Jets/Pats game. 

The rivalries are just as intense, however maybe our American friends have just evolved a little more and realise that there is no point in kicking the living cr*p out of someone just because they support another team.

However I can easily sit down with supporters of any team and have a pretty civilised debate about the sport.  And I believe most supporters could do the same, it is just a rabid few who unfortunately are several yards short of a first down! So to speak!

HTTR & OTBC

Snake [:D]

[/quote]
Yessssssss. Another Redskins AND Norwich fan. Thought I was the only one! 
There''s no logic to me supporting the Skins, I just started watching a Superbowl, enjoyed it, so started streaming games and eventually had to pick a team as I was watching so much NFL. I forget how exactly I decided on the Skins, but I''m glad I did. My bro is getting into American football now too, and he knows the family lineage is drawn and it''s Redskins or bust. 
In terms of the strength of my allegiance, Norwich will always be first as I was going to games at 2 years old and formed a  massive part of my childhood, but Redskins come very close in second. I get the same buzz when RG3 throws a TD, or D-Hall grabs a pick-6 as I do when Norwich score. 
American football is a fantastic sport, and vastly underrated, mainly because it is so complex, most people can''t be bothered to understand it imo.
Speaking of which, if you think the support isn''t fanatical, and you happen to be up at 1:30am on Sunday night/Monday morning, find yourself a stream of the Redskins vs the cowb**ches. Biggest rivalry in the NFL. As Charley Mann said "When you sign with the Redskins, you''re signing a contract to HATE the Cowboys". That''s just how it is, even the players buy into the rivalry (waaaaaaay more so than footballers do). The rivalry is intense. I hate the Cowb**ches as much as I hate Ipsh**. 
The fans are much more of a community with NFL too. They get together in thousands at the stadiums to watch the draft (You see maybe 50 at the training ground of the big clubs on transfer deadline day which is the closest comparable event), they spend the entire day before a game drinking and BBQing in the car park with fellow fans (tailgating) etc. It''s not better or worse, just a different vibe, but the passion and pride is just as deeply etched into the psyche of NFL fans as football supporters and to say otherwise is incredibly ignorant.
The rivalries always tend to produce spectacular moments too. Like the Monday Night Miracle. There is no Redskins fan alive who wouldn''t have this in their top 3 games of all time, ahead of at least one of the Superbowl wins. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MQnxQdvIgY << 13-0 down with less than 4 minutes to go, away at Dallas and a thoroughly miserable night altogether.... 4th down and 15. Needing 15 yards out of the play or the game is essentially over. Brunell throws a beauty over the Top for Santana Moss to get the Touch Down. Redskins force Cowboys to punt and within 71 seconds are celebrating again after another stunning throw from Brunell, caught in-stride by Moss and run into the end zone for a Touch down. Novak makes both extra points and Redskins win gloriously in the Cowboys own backyard. Just as good as beating Ipswich 5-1 at Poorman Road

Kick It - thanks for your insight into the inspirations behind a UK american footie fan, good to hear it articulated with passion and interest. I would still say I dislike the sport by default, but accept that is probably because of my ignorance and prejudice in relation to it :-)  Commiserations on last night''s result by the way.

2 (genuine) questions: do you consider the feats of the original franchise Boston Braves/Redskins as part of the true history of the club you now support? And will you still feel happy supporting them if/when they get renamed the Washington Native Americans or similar?!

[quote user="GenerationA47"]

Kick It - thanks for your insight into the inspirations behind a UK american footie fan, good to hear it articulated with passion and interest. I would still say I dislike the sport by default, but accept that is probably because of my ignorance and prejudice in relation to it :-)  Commiserations on last night''s result by the way.

2 (genuine) questions: do you consider the feats of the original franchise Boston Braves/Redskins as part of the true history of the club you now support? And will you still feel happy supporting them if/when they get renamed the Washington Native Americans or similar?!

[/quote]I''ve never been a "football" fan. No one in my family watched it when I was growing up, and that probably has a lot to do with it. I''ve tried to get into it a few times, but I just can''t conjure up the interest. It''s just not that good.I think The Braves and The Chiefs are OK, but The Redskins is a pretty horrible name for a team. When you look into the etymology of that phrase, it''s not pretty.  I''m not one who gets offended easily, but surely this is too much. You wouldn''t name a team The Darkies and have a logo of an Zulu warrior would you? Poor taste.

What a great time to be able to add to this thread. You see, I''ve just come back from a work trip to the Kansas City, MO. As part of this trip, I got to attend my first ever NFL game - KC Chiefs v Oakland Raiders.I consider myself to be a bit of a sports geek. However, I''ve must admit that I never had anything more than a slight passing interest in the NFL and American Football. I knew most of the basic rules (from also being a bit of a computer geek, and therefore playing games like Madden). I had also worked with a few Americans telling me how ''insane'' NFL games were, so while I was looking forward to going to the game, I was also a little skeptic about how much of the ''insanity'' was more down to some good old fashion American exuberance and embellishment.It wasn''t embellished at all. It Was Amazing!!!I have never experienced anything like it in my life. The whole game day was incredible. The tailgating. The noise. The rivalry between fans (KC & Oakland are big divisional rivals). The game. The noise!! The way the fans make the noise at the right time so they help their team. Drinking beer int he stand. The noise.And did I mention the noise? (Yeah, the noise was pretty amazing, as documented by this.)In response to some of the rivaly questions on this thread. I was told not to (and almost did) get into what could have led to fights with Raiders fans. (I was in Chiefs garb for the day). It was only when they realised I was a drunk foreign smart-ar$e that they let me off. I''d say that while not quite as toxic as a football rivalry, the rivalry between fans was pretty fierce, and at times tense.Anyway, while it will never be my true love, I now get what all the fuss is about. The NFL is pretty cool. Now, I do consider myself to be a Chiefs fan.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]both the Raiders and the Rams were based in LA... both moved.. neither have won the Superbowl since....

I cant understand the pull of oakland for the Raiders, a return to L A would possibly see them as cend back to what they were.

London wont get a franchise...Britbowl is growing fast.[/quote]

The Raiders started in Oakland before moving to LA and then back to Oakland.

[quote user="GenerationA47"]

[/quote]
Hi Generation, no I only really count the feats of the WASHINGTON Redskins, not the Boston era. I would feel happy supporting them if they were renamed, but I would favour something that favours the native american theme, A move back to the "Braves" would be my preference, Potomac was the Indian tribe native to the DC area so I wouldn''t mind the Washington Potomacs (although it doesn''t sound brilliant). I dont want them to go with something generic like the "Presidents" or the "Bandits" or other such nonsense. Stay true to the traditions of the club, but I don''t think the name is all that important. I doubt it''ll happen soon anyway, Dan Snyder (Redskins owner) has said that he won''t change the name, and it seems to be a case of media throwing up the usual storm about the name (Happens at least once a year), although it is a bit more sustained this time round. I think it''s inevitable it will change sooner or later though, and Im not averse to that, if anything, I would probably be a little more comfortable supporting them if no-one was getting offended by the name (Although much of that is media hyperbole, most native americans actually aren''t bothered by the name, but a significant minority are).

As a massive Norwich fan from California, I think the nature of American sports is simply different than that in England. One thing that completely separates American sports from British sports is the amount of major sports to choose from as well as how many teams might be in a market. If you''re born in Norwich, you''re an NCFC fan, end of story. Also, it''s a given that you''re passionate for football and if you''re attending a live sporting event it will be a Norwich game. With 5 major markets (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, MLS) plus a legitimate college scene (which seems completely strange to foreigners) and multiple teams in a market, it is not a given that you become a fan of a specific team. For me, I''m a baseball fan, college basketball fan, MLS fan, and EPL fan. While I obviously can''t attend EPL games, within an hour I have 3 Major League Baseball Teams to choose from, 5 college basketball teams (as well as two professional basketball teams), and 2 MLS teams. There''s also an n NFL team, 2 major college football teams, and 2 NHL teams. With so many teams to support and so many sports, you lose that allegiance inherent to birth in a specific place. You also lose some of your hatred because of commonalities with your rival; University of Southern California fans bitterly hate University of California Los Angeles fans but there is often a unification as a Lakers, Dodgers, and Chargers fan. If you''re born in Norwich, you go to Norwich games and are bred to hate Ipswich. If you''re born in the USA, it simply does not work like this except in a place like Green Bay which only has American Football rather than MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS, and a real college powerhouse. Having gone to games at Carrow Road as well as games all around the USA, it is simply different; there is still a love for each team but bloodlines, area of birth defining THE team you support and bitter hatred of rivals is more an outlier than a norm. It''s certainly not a worse sports culture and I''d say Americans are equally or more passionate about sport than their English counterparts, but sport is simply different.

It varies around the country, too. The northeast has more passionate rivalries with teams in relative close proximity and with a different way of American life. The rivalries are more jocular and less spiteful although very intense. My Green Bay buddy says a 2-14 season can be a success if the 2 wins are vs. The Bears. The closest thing we have to a firm is likely the Raider Nation fans of Oakland.

The MLS teams have supporter groups who try make the atmosphere like a European one with chants and scarves and so on. Some have done remarkably well. Houston''s El Battalion and Texian Army supporters groups are different in that they play instruments and chant and stay standing all game long.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]It varies around the country, too. The northeast has more passionate rivalries with teams in relative close proximity and with a different way of American life. The rivalries are more jocular and less spiteful although very intense. My Green Bay buddy says a 2-14 season can be a success if the 2 wins are vs. The Bears. The closest thing we have to a firm is likely the Raider Nation fans of Oakland. The MLS teams have supporter groups who try make the atmosphere like a European one with chants and scarves and so on. Some have done remarkably well. Houston''s El Battalion and Texian Army supporters groups are different in that they play instruments and chant and stay standing all game long.[/quote]

Kind of like the African natives used to do before civilization arrived. [:D]