Sign in to follow this  
pete

Monkey Comments

Apparently the story came from a reporter on the Scottish Sun. Think Fraser Forster might have some questions to answer

It''s acceptable to call Gareth Bale a monkey for looking like one, yet you would get slaughtered for saying the same thing about a black person who looked like a monkey.

Having kids, i''m forever using ''monkey'' in general conversation i.e. "You little monkey, get down!" etc. etc. If i was to say that to a young black boy would that be offensive?! I''m pretty sure a switch would go in my head preventing me from saying it.

However, when breaking that down - i would feel more racist for actively changing my words in the presence of a black man, than what i would for saying what i would naturally with no awareness or segregation of what can be said in front of them.

I think that''s the bigger problem with all this, it''s the sub-concious that is being inflicted on us all to be aware of what you say around other races, most of the time the guidelines appear to be set by white people - It''s totally wrong.

There will always be that thought of racial connotation though. A bit of a ''don''t mention the war'' type thing even though most Germans wouldn''t care less if you did or not.There is no history behind any discrimination against whites at least in this country and so there''s no uncomfortable feeling.

The fact of the matter is, that until about 100 (around that) years ago, we (white people as a collective) treated black people like second class citizens for hundreds of years and it will take generations for that wound to heal. There will always be faux-pas'' to be made, not just about races but in everything!

An example is the use of the word ''gay'' to mean ''a bit irritating/ annoying/ negative''. I used it to describe a particularly gloomy day at work once and a colleague who is gay said "it''s not gay though is it." I immediately realised my error and after a quick apology, it blew over.

It doesn''t mean I hate gays or think anything less of them as people, it''s just the word has changed in meaning somewhat a bit like the word ''cool'' can mean several things.

Kids are often a good barometer of racial faux-pas due to them being the only truly honest representatives of the world, yet to be influenced by things. I remember two incidents growing up where i said some stuff i shouldn''t.

The first (i was about 4) was when i was told to shower before going swimming and got slightly annoyed i couldn''t go straight in. I then saw a mixed race kid when i got in there and thought he hadn''t washed and so protested to my mum why he was allowed to go straight in which must have embarrassed her a lot!... whoops!

The second (i was about 7) was in the school playground at lunch playing footy and this black lad from the year above on my team told me (with my big blonde mop of hair) "get back in defence, blondie" in a kind of negative tone. I thought i''d be clever in my defence and said something like "how about you get back, brownie (his hair was brown)." I don''t think he was too offended by it but his mates (all white) jumped on the bandwagon like shit journalists and told on me.

I learnt about racism the hard way and ended up being made an example of at the end of lunch having to apologise in front of the whole school, harsh, but i can laugh about it now!

Jimmy you seriously need a few history lessons if you think that treating black people badly was as long ago as 100 years. In the post war years it was acceptable in this country for establishments to have signs up saying ''No Blacks or Irish'' it was only less than 50 years ago that this was outlawed. This cleary dis not stop the way many ethnic minorities were treated.

I suggest you watch the film Missisipi Burning to see how black people were treated in some southern states in America in the sixties.

South Africa was an Apartheid state until the nineties.

I could go on, but that all being said there was not a shred of racism in Roy''s ''joke'' and anyone who could take offence is either looking for a reason to undermine him or is seriously stupid.

isn''t it usually the media "way" to wait until England qualify before starting to slowly drag the managers name through the mud so that when the Inevitable failure occurs, (first round exist, losing on pens) Etc they already have the stick to beat him with?

[quote user="Houston Canary"]I find the handwringing worry quite amusing.

The real racism in the story isn''t the joke or even the thought that mention of a monkey is belittling to blacks. It''s the thought too many do-gooders seem to have that blacks need their protection. I find that very offensive, people trying to prove how non-racist they are by patronizing blacks. That''s actually worse in today''s world.[/quote]

Entirely agree. Im of the opinion that most complaints made about ''causing offence'' in the media are made by white middle-class daily mail readers, finding offence on behalf of the alleged victim. Patronizing to the extreme!

[quote user="Schlong Connery"][quote user="Houston Canary"]What race was the astronaut?[/quote]
Martian... He should piss off back to his own planet the green bastard.

[/quote]

Careful - you''ll have someone getting offended on behalf of the martians next...

Racism is usually much more subtle rather than overt now - in a way that makes it all the harder to combat, and the more pernicious to experience. And it''s often a question of context rather than just the form the words take. The person who would be able to make that judgement in that moment was Andros Townsend, and as he clearly saw that no offence was intended then it wasn''t racist. The second question is whether in ''this age'' it was a bit thoughtless or insensitive - which you could argue it was... but the bigger question is, I think, what kind of world we aspire to?... a very ''politically correct'' world where no-one ever mentions monkeys in any context where black people are involved because it would always be offensive, or a world that has moved on and where that association or connotation was no longer even thought about?

The real issue here for me is who leaked this and how they have sought to undermine the dressing room.

I''m not sure how accurate this is: 
But if it''s correct, it does sound like it was blown out of proportion. It seems to me that he made the comment, no one was offended by it, but a player may have mentioned it to someone who wasn''t there who then misinterpreted what was being said and contacted the media.  

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Two thoughts.

The joke was originally about an Orang Utan but Roy had trouble saying it.

Secondly, thank God Gareth Bale is Welsh.[/quote]

The whole story is rather tedious.

A load of old squit.

However, Rudy''s Orang Utan joke has seriously made me chuckle out loud. Superb

[quote user="Deptford Canary"]

Racism is usually much more subtle rather than overt now - in a way that makes it all the harder to combat, and the more pernicious to experience. And it''s often a question of context rather than just the form the words take. The person who would be able to make that judgement in that moment was Andros Townsend, and as he clearly saw that no offence was intended then it wasn''t racist. The second question is whether in ''this age'' it was a bit thoughtless or insensitive - which you could argue it was... but the bigger question is, I think, what kind of world we aspire to?... a very ''politically correct'' world where no-one ever mentions monkeys in any context where black people are involved because it would always be offensive, or a world that has moved on and where that association or connotation was no longer even thought about?

The real issue here for me is who leaked this and how they have sought to undermine the dressing room.

[/quote]
Quite correct.
Football''s the national sport.
The media verbally kicking the s**t out of the England manager is too.  

The FA have received a letter of complaint from the chairman of the Society of Black Lawyers.

Now imagine if there was a a Society of White Lawyers in this country...

Jimmy smith wrote.....There will always be that thought of racial connotation though. A bit of

a ''don''t mention the war'' type thing even though most Germans wouldn''t

care less if you did or not.There is no history behind any

discrimination against whites at least in this country and so there''s no

uncomfortable feeling.Talking of Germans i often wondered do they play Medal of honour and COD black ops games in Germany? I know they''re just games but from what i saw of my son playing them the main purpose of parts of the games  seems to be killing Germans, I thought the Nazi Zombies thing he plays might particuarly be seen as poor taste over there...

Forgetting the ridiculous racism accusations, what really concerns me is that the England Manager thinks the best way of motivating a team or giving instructions is to tell such a rubbish joke.

I know Hodgson himself said he doesn''t give Churchill esque speaches but this just seems a rubbish way to make a point.

Thank god we won because if we hadn''t qualified and this had been leaked as the half time speech it would have been a whole new brolly gate scenario!!

Forgetting the ridiculous racism accusations, what really concerns me is that the England Manager thinks the best way of motivating a team or giving instructions is to tell such a rubbish joke.

I know Hodgson himself said he doesn''t give Churchill esque speaches but this just seems a rubbish way to make a point"

England were playing well and had just gone 1-0 up. Why not keep the mood light?

Hodgson has a decent track record in management. I''d say he knows how to handle a dressing room, despite what you might think of his methods. Horses for courses.

I''m glad we''re kind of unanimous on what a ridiculous (non) story this is. This sort of thing drives me nuts.

Political correctness gone absolutely bonkers!

Roy Hodgson was referring to the use of monkeys in the early pre manned flight days of the space race, nothing to do with calling a person a monkey cause hes black!

I do despair sometimes, afterall go to Australia and you''ll get called a pom, go to a Country with a different main language to ours and different coloured people and you''ll get staired and pointed at!

[quote user="rock bus"]Forgetting the ridiculous racism accusations, what really concerns me is that the England Manager thinks the best way of motivating a team or giving instructions is to tell such a rubbish joke.

I know Hodgson himself said he doesn''t give Churchill esque speaches but this just seems a rubbish way to make a point.

Thank god we won because if we hadn''t qualified and this had been leaked as the half time speech it would have been a whole new brolly gate scenario!![/quote]He did''nt tell them the joke, that''s the whole point. He just gave them the punchline.Not the most PC way to get his point across, I''m sure he now realises, but effective, and the players certainly understood what he meant. Would''nt think managers have the time to fully and quickly analyse and disect everything they need to say and get across to the players.

" Not the most PC way to get his point across, I''m sure he now realises"

For the love of god. There is NOTHING un-PC about mentioning monkeys in the presence of black people.

It isn''t un-PC or racist to compare Townsend to the monkey in the story if the context is that he''s the biggest asset to the team, as the chimp was compared to the astronaut.

It''s only un-PC and racist if Roy Hodgson intimated that Townsend was a monkey because he''s black.

Get it? Got it? Good.