Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Strikers goal drought

In the last 46 PL games (i.e. last season & so far this season), our "strikers" have only managed a total of 12 goals - or about one every 4 games.8 of those came from Grant Holt with Jackson, Kamara, Morison & RVW each contributing one a piece. So far this season in the PL our 4 strikers (RVW, Hooper, Elmander & Bechio - although you can''t really count him) have managed just one goal between them in 8 games so despite potentially having a better strike force this season (at least on paper), the situation is actually getting worse.Why is it that that previously prolific strikers like Holt, Hooper, RVW or even Bechio suddenly become totally ineffective at doing what they do best. It is quite obvious from these stats that we do not get the ball into the danger area either often enough or with any great quality to allow our strikers to get even a sniff of a goal. Even if the midfielders & defenders keep chipping in every now and again with the odd goal it will not be enough to stave off what is already beginning to look a real possibility - relegation. Strikers score goals, win games & get points.Hughton must find a away of getting more out of our strikers by giving them the service they need & deserve - better passes, better crosses, better set pieces & better support in the box.Yes we may have played better during the last 2 or 3 games but our strikers still haven''t looked like putting the ball in the net.

In my opinion it''s been a combination of consistenly poor quality into the box, and poor decision making in key areas, which has to at least partly be down to the coaching staff. That said, I think we have definitely looked more of a threat in the last 3 games as players start to bed in properly, and key members of the squad return to injury.

Clearly, the acid test is coming up over the next 6 weeks as we play Cardiff, West Ham, Newcastle and Palace. If we cannot generate consistently good chances against these teams then something is seriously wrong.

[quote user="I.S."]Clearly, the acid test is coming up over the next 6 weeks as we play Cardiff, West Ham, Newcastle and Palace. If we cannot generate consistently good chances against these teams then something is seriously wrong.[/quote]

^ This.

For me, one of the easiest (and hopefully most effective) things to do to increase service to our striker(s) would simply be to play our wingers on the same wing as their strong foot. It would remove the need to cut in to cross almost every time and would allow for far more balls (probably of better quality too) to find their way into the box and trouble defences. It''d also mean that our wing backs wouldn''t have to press as high to help out on the wings which would make our back line stronger and give the midfield a chance to push up because they wouldn''t have to worry about the often exposed defence under the current system. :)

That might be too late Doc if we don''t improve pretty damn quick. We have some good classy players at the club but something is wrong somewhere.

We are not privy to what goes on during the week but our CEO will be!

As long as Hughton insists on playing 4-2-3-1 with inverted wingers, we need at least 1 creative central midfielder, and the only one we have got is Wes, and he is on the bench...

4-2-3-1 becomes very stale unless you make all those inviting linkups with the striker, push midfielders up supporting the lone striker, etc.

Wes can make these small triangles and linkups.

Imho, wes is he key, despite his defensive flaws

Neither Hooper nor RVW are best suited to playing as a lone striker. They are not the right players for how the team has been set-up to play. Hughton should have thought about that before signing them.

Playing wingers on their right sides would help!

Playing the form players would help. Snodgrass should have been rested by now cause he hasn''t been in form!

When losing going for it more with subs - Hughton done it yesterday but needs to gamble more often when we''re losing!

Got to be more direct in the final third - When you''ve got an opportunity to cross, CROSS!

Nothin annoys me more when theirs an opportunity to cross with players in the box waiting and instead the player passes it tot the corner flag or sidewards!

I honestly think if either Hooper or RVW were in one of the top teams they''d of both scored 5+ goals by now!