Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Wazzy's Ref Watch

Neil Swarbrick

What is it with this guy?

What have we done wrong in the past?

Where do we start?

Firstly I have got to say I thought Ba got away with murder. How he escaped a yellow is beyond belief. Swarbrick fell for the old ''I''m not going to win the ball so I''ll fall over and get a free kick'' time after time. The impression I got was that the Chelsea players were reffing the game not him - so little authority that he couldn''t have used Bruce Forsyth''s ''I''m In Charge''. I thought we were genuinely hard done by with several of the deciasions, and in my eyes he''s another one who doesn''t treat both teams equally. The first half brought two stone wall corners for us - both given as goalkicks - one of which came off a defender AND the keeper, so not too difficult to spot then.

The thing that really infuriated me was the fact that in the second half I felt we had a really good shout for a penalty when RvW was barged off the ball in the box. Swarbrick suddenly turned into a mouse and stood looking at the lino in front of the Chelsea fans who was hardly likely to give a penalty. There was another corner given as a goalkick in the second half when Cech clearly carried the ball over the line to win a goalkick.

Neil Swarbrick  2 Dire - but will no doubt go on to Ref another top flight game next week. Just don''t expect to see him in the middle of the Manchester derby anytime soon, as he wont know who to give what.

Homing in on the ref is just sour grapes in us losing. We had a good shout for a pen and should of good a few more corners but he let the game flow and it was a good competitive encounter.

[quote user="LondonCanary"]Homing in on the ref is just sour grapes in us losing. We had a good shout for a pen and should of good a few more corners but he let the game flow and it was a good competitive encounter.[/quote]

Do you feel he had a good game?

Not sour grapes at all, I''m not saying IF we had got any of the decisions I have mentioned we would have won. But having goal kicks given when it is quite clearly a corner certianly doesn''t help your cause, does it?

He was terrible but under the guidance of Riley most refs are poor now. What annoyed me was the antics of Demba bar falling over and then barging into Ruddy but not one yellow card. Lampard twice stopped Norwich from starting an attack once by pulling a Norwich player back by the shoulders and then taking someone out at the ankles whilst they weren''t bad tackles it stopped our forward movement and by stopping the game allowed all Chelsea players to get behind the ball again and defend cynical or what but they went over Swarbricks head.

[quote user="LondonCanary"]Homing in on the ref is just sour grapes in us losing. We had a good shout for a pen and should of good a few more corners but he let the game flow and it was a good competitive encounter.[/quote]eh ?It would be a very odd ''Wazzy''s Ref Watch'' if he didn''t mention the refPerhaps you need to actually read what was posted and under what title those comments were posted, rather than bleat about something not relevant to the post.The comment i would make about the refereeing today was lack of consistency. If you are going to give a foul for a shove then give a foul .. then booking.. then maybe even off for Ba who consistently jumpaed AT Ruddy.A number of decisions (not calls) seemed to be wrong - something you can usually gauge by the reaction of the player(s) involved if not the crowd close by.I think today we saw the pendulam swing a bit too far the other way, whereby the game was allowed to be a bit more ''physical'' but that should not have meant making blatantly wrong decisions.

We''ve had some poor refereeing performances in recent times, but the fact we haven''t have as long an ironic cheer from the Barclay as we had today probably tells you all you need to know about his weak performance this afternoon.

[quote user="ridgeman"]Lampard twice stopped Norwich from starting an attack once by pulling a Norwich player back by the shoulders and then taking someone out at the ankles whilst they weren''t bad tackles it stopped our forward movement and by stopping the game allowed all Chelsea players to get behind the ball again and defend cynical or what but they went over Swarbricks head. [/quote]

Yup, ridiculous that Lampard got out of that game without a booking.

I don''t think it went over Swarbrick''s head. I think he simply chose to let it go because of the name on the shirt.

I.S. wrote the following post at 06/10/2013 7:44 PM:

We''ve had some poor refereeing performances in recent times, but the fact we haven''t have as long an ironic cheer from the Barclay as we had today probably tells you all you need to know about his weak performance this afternoon.

Totally inconsistent, ignored challenges that must have been either a dive or a foul and took no action, very biased towards Chelsea in the first half but then seemed to switch his allegiance. I think he must have enjoyed the exceptionally long ironic cheer he received which continued for at least a minute, long enough and loud enough indeed for even our armchair critics to have been able to hear!

[quote user="Wazzy van Donkeydangler"]

Neil Swarbrick

What is it with this guy?

What have we done wrong in the past?

Where do we start?

Firstly I have got to say I thought Ba got away with murder. How he escaped a yellow is beyond belief. Swarbrick fell for the old ''I''m not going to win the ball so I''ll fall over and get a free kick'' time after time. The impression I got was that the Chelsea players were reffing the game not him - so little authority that he couldn''t have used Bruce Forsyth''s ''I''m In Charge''. I thought we were genuinely hard done by with several of the deciasions, and in my eyes he''s another one who doesn''t treat both teams equally. The first half brought two stone wall corners for us - both given as goalkicks - one of which came off a defender AND the keeper, so not too difficult to spot then.

The thing that really infuriated me was the fact that in the second half I felt we had a really good shout for a penalty when RvW was barged off the ball in the box. Swarbrick suddenly turned into a mouse and stood looking at the lino in front of the Chelsea fans who was hardly likely to give a penalty. There was another corner given as a goalkick in the second half when Cech clearly carried the ball over the line to win a goalkick.

Neil Swarbrick  2 Dire - but will no doubt go on to Ref another top flight game next week. Just don''t expect to see him in the middle of the Manchester derby anytime soon, as he wont know who to give what.

[/quote]

My mistake it was Pilkington not RvW who got taken out for the ''penalty''.

But, I''ve only made one mistake, Swarbrick made plenty...[:D]

I hate blaming a ref fora bad outcome, but this certainly was the case today. Watch the penalty given against Everton on Saturday then look at how Pilks was taken down today. How is one a penalty and the other not?!? Where is the GD consistency?

Unless my memory deceives me ramires was tripped a couple of years back at Stamford Bridge in similar circumstances. It was 1-1 at the time, they were awarded a penalty and I believe Ruddy was sent off. They won 3-1. Swarbrick was woeful, but it could have been the galvanising factor which got the players so riled and contributed to our good spell.

Interesting comments Tumbleweed re woeful ref decisions was a galvanising factor. I thought at the time, where is the player who is going to have a go at the ref. I didn''t notice Martin as captain react. Holt was an expert on putting applied pressure on the official.

For me, it was the crowd who had the effect of turning the game. The long ironical cheers when the ref deemed to give us a free kick and then a few moments later, what do you know he gave us another one. Once again a prolonged ironical appease jeering

This is when I really enjoy being part of the Carra crowd. It changed the course of the game and made it even more enjoyable...... well we can forget the last few minutes can''t we??!!

This was a classic RA appointment , to give a poor ref a TV game as they are obliged to do for Select Group Referees. So let''s make it a sunday lunchtime with a fixture, which in theory, will result in a Chelsea win, and a low TV audience.

Swarbrick is poor. He looked like he was trying to referee without giving any decisions in the early part of the game, which backfired completely on him in the two cases of simulation by Ba. He looked twice to his Assistant for help with the two "corners" in the first half , where he was closer, and when he got the "unsighted" call across his mic, he gave a goal kick. He was not close enough to either penalty decision, and allowed Lampard to give the appearance of winning decisions on appeal - a big no no in the Refereeing world.

Fortunately for Swarbrick he was let off close scrutiny by the two late Chelsea goals. So once again the RA get away with it.

We moan about Webb, but in most cases we crticise his interpretation when well placed. This clown was nowhere near the game, had no ability to stamp his authority (he had to caution Ba) and recieved no support from his assitants.

In short, Cr@p. And if they still had assessors he would have got both barels (privately)

Anyone see the hapless Swarbrick do the Everton game yesterday? Even worse than our game against Chelsea! Can only assume Barry is his nephew. Our Neil is becoming an ebarrassment in refereeing circles. Wouldn''t be at all surprised to see him "rested" next week.

Neither Swarbrick or Anthony Taylor covered themselves in glory last weekend.

Looking back at one of your earlier posts, GPB it was only against Hull and Cardiff so no harm done in the grand scheme of things!