Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Cardiff Lineup

ruddy           martin bennett bassong garrido       redmond   howson      fer         olsson                           wolfy                              hooper

Redmond certainly, Snodgrass has been out of form all season. Not sure what Martin has done to deserve being dropped and while Bassong hasn''t been great I still think he should be in the team ahead of Bennett, for now at least.I wonder how much the injury to Elliot Bennett derailed us, best performance from one of our wide players this season was his against Everton imo, having two quick players in him and Redmond really helped our attacking play.

Dont understand what has happened to Bassong, he has gone from being our key defender that couldnt put a foot wrong, to a player that is making a lot of mistakes and switching off a key moments. I would like to see a formation for Cardiff that includes both Hooper and RVW ( if fit ) and Pilkington and Redmond on the wings, Howson and Fer in the middle.

Ruddy

Martin Turner Bassong Olsson

Redmond Howson Fer Pilkington

Hooper

Ricky

Bench: Bunn, Whitts, Bennett, Snoddy, Tettey, Wes and Elmander

[quote user="JF"]Dont understand what has happened to Bassong, he has gone from being our key defender that couldnt put a foot wrong, to a player that is making a lot of mistakes and switching off a key moments. I would like to see a formation for Cardiff that includes both Hooper and RVW ( if fit ) and Pilkington and Redmond on the wings, Howson and Fer in the middle.[/quote]When players are certain of a starting spot in the team, as I feel is the case of Bassong and Snodgrass, they can have a tendency not to work as hard for the team, especially if they are quite egocentric (as is most assuredly the case with Snoddy, just look at the penalty fiasco with RVW). This is some thing that any first year university sports psychologist would be able to tell you. When (most) players feel that their place is secure they generally don''t work as hard because they don''t have too, it is a natural thing for many human beings. This is not a new phenomenon, and to be frank I am quite surprised that Chris Hughton and his coaching staff appear to not be aware of this fact. Now I''m not saying that dropping Bassong and Snodgrass will automatically turn us into a championship contending side, but what I am saying is maybe a kick up the backside is needed. Lambert (sorry to bring him up) is no respecter of individuals, neither were very good managers like Ferguson, Clough, Shankley, at the start of this season even Mourinho dropped Mata who was arguably Chelsea''s best player last season.Rather than jumping on the bandwagon of sacking the manager, I would suggest he just needs to learn from the errors that he is making in team selection. He nearly get''s it right, I think the formation suits the players we have in the squad, but as we know in football, nearly doesn''t count. I think we just need different players being picked at the moment, the manager should be looking to pick his form players, not his senior players. If you are too stuck in your ways to change, which I am not convinced he is, you will find football a very unforgiving sport as a manager.

[quote user="Eadie4England"]Time for Whittaker, Bennett & Redmond to come in ?[/quote]Good post.After back to back losses to Chelsea and Arsenal, two teams most of us would have thoroughly expected to beat, I think it''s only fair that Cautious Chris Hughton rings the changes to save his job and get us out of nailed-on relegation.Ruddy''s let in seven in two games, put Bunn in goal to teach him a lesson.Drop Olsson for Garrido.  Ryan Bennett to replace Turner, R Martin to centre back for the ineffective Bassong and Whittaker to right back.Midfield is easier - Johnson to replace the hopeless Tettey, Hoolahan for Howson and Fer can stay in as the marquee signing but he''s drinking in the last chance saloon.  Redmond gets 45 minutes to prove he''s not a one trick pony, and Murphy comes in on the wing for the perenially chippy Snodgrass.Up front, Becchio on his own with Loza for the second half just in case.                                           Bunn         Whittaker     R Bennett    R Martin     Garrido                                    Johnson    FerMurphy                                                              Redmond                                        Hoolahan                                         Becchio

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Eadie4England"]Time for Whittaker, Bennett & Redmond to come in ?[/quote]Good post.After back to back losses to Chelsea and Arsenal, two teams most of us would have thoroughly expected to beat, I think it''s only fair that Cautious Chris Hughton rings the changes to save his job and get us out of nailed-on relegation.Ruddy''s let in seven in two games, put Bunn in goal to teach him a lesson.Drop Olsson for Garrido.  Ryan Bennett to replace Turner, R Martin to centre back for the ineffective Bassong and Whittaker to right back.Midfield is easier - Johnson to replace the hopeless Tettey, Hoolahan for Howson and Fer can stay in as the marquee signing but he''s drinking in the last chance saloon.  Redmond gets 45 minutes to prove he''s not a one trick pony, and Murphy comes in on the wing for the perenially chippy Snodgrass.Up front, Becchio on his own with Loza for the second half just in case.                                           Bunn         Whittaker     R Bennett    R Martin     Garrido                                    Johnson    FerMurphy                                                              Redmond                                        Hoolahan                                         Becchio[/quote]Possibly a little drastic Chops! [:)] I do feel though that there are a couple of players who might benefit from two or three games starting on the bench (numbers 5 and 7 for instance). R Bennett and Redmond have looked pretty good at the start of the season, where as Bass and Snoddy on the other hand seem to be struggling for some reason. Now may be that''s complacency, may be it''s injury or may be it''s their not keen on pulling on the yellow and green, what ever reason I struggle to see why they are getting into the starting line up, may be they are doing really well in training and then bottling it on match day. What ever the reason, a bit of a rest may do them both some good. But like I said in my last post, other than tha I don''t think there''s too much for people to start complaining about just yet, the last 2 games have been Chelsea and Arsenal and they''ll beat most of the teams around us. Three points against Cardiff and all will be forgotten.

Ok smart arse, Well against a lesser opposition i was thinking whittaker would be better going forward. Lets get 1 of our most effective players starting and going at people in redmond. Snoddy hasnt set world alight this season. I think Bennett deserves a run in team, was excellent at end of season and against Stoke.

I''d be tempted to go for a 3,5,2 formation. Play Hooper and Wolfy together. Have Olsson and Whittaker as the wing backs. Keep the three midfielders the same and drop Martin in as the third defender,    

---- Lappinitup: Yep. Those who haven''t been playing are always better than the ones who have....

Well, Redmond has been better than Snodgrass who has been badly off form all season. Whittaker started the season well and was unlucky to lose his place to Martin who hasn''t started this season particularly well either.

It is quite obvious, from this thread & numerous similar ones, that  no one knows what our best starting 11, or formation, is. Unfortunately, that also applies to the Manager. It''s a bit like me when I go to a restaurant - I take ages deciding what to choose & invariably end picking something I''ve had before only to regret my choice when I see that other people, who are not so stuck in their ways, have got something better.After 8 PL games, 2 cup games and 3 months work on the training pitch, Hughton must by now have a good idea of who cuts it & who doesn''t. Or does he?

Its quite obvious from recent performance we have found our best formation with the players at our disposal. However a couple of the players could do with a kick up the backside namely Snoddy and Seb.

I would stick with the same team, thought they have played well enough as a unit recently despite the results. At a push I could be persuaded to drop Snodgrass, but when he doesnt play we do miss his high energy game. Hopefully we will have RVW and Elmander available on the bench this week, just in case Hooper doesnt cut it....but I have a sneaky suspicion he will! OTBC   

GK. Ruddy

LCB. Bennett

DC. Bassong

RCB. Martin

RWB. Whittaker

LWB. Olsson

DM. Bradders

CM. Fer

CM. Howson

AM/ST. Hoolahan

ST. Hooper

Subs; Bunn, Turner, Tettey, Snoddy, Pilks, Redmond, RVW

Ruddy

Whitaker Martin Bennett Olsson

Redmond Fer Howson Pilkington

Hooper Van Wolfswinkle

Subs: Bunn, Bassong, Sondgrass, Tetty, Garrido, Elmander, Hoolahan

Ruddy

Whittaker    R.Bennet   Bassong  Olsson

Tettey

Pilkington    Fer   Hoolahan  Redmond

Snodgrass

Hooper 

ncoln canary wrote the following post at 21/10/2013 10:30 AM:

Ruddy

Whittaker R.Bennet Bassong Olsson

Tettey

Pilkington Fer Hoolahan Redmond

Snodgrass

Hooper

Do you think they would notice we had twelve players?

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

Ruddy

Whittaker    R.Bennet   Bassong  Olsson

Tettey

Pilkington    Fer   Hoolahan  Redmond

Snodgrass

Hooper 

[/quote]

12 players... cunning.

[quote user="Making Plans"]It is quite obvious, from this thread & numerous similar ones, that  no one knows what our best starting 11, or formation, is.
Unfortunately, that also applies to the Manager.
It''s a bit like me when I go to a restaurant - I take ages deciding what to choose & invariably end picking something I''ve had before only to regret my choice when I see that other people, who are not so stuck in their ways, have got something better.
After 8 PL games, 2 cup games and 3 months work on the training pitch, Hughton must by now have a good idea of who cuts it & who doesn''t.
Or does he?
[/quote]

Pretty much unchanged team for the last 3 games (any changes forced by injury) I think Hughton has settled on his first choice 11 and formation (4-1-4-1 or 4-3-3 depending on whether attacking or defending).

Performances since Stoke have been good and who really expected a win against Chelsea or Arsenal? The fact Norwich were in contention for a draw in both games until the last 10 mins shows that the current team is working well. If Norwich put out the kind of performance they did in the last two games they will beat Cardiff, West Ham and Palace in the next three home games and will stand a good chance to get something out of the Newcastle away game.

The only change I would like to see is Redmond coming in for Snodgrass.

A winger who has pace and can cross balls in behind the defence instead of left footed crosses to the heart of the opposition defence from the right wing is much needed.

We have to start giving RvW and Hooper a chance ...... it would not greatly surprise me to see both of them start!

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]The only change I would like to see is Redmond coming in for Snodgrass. A winger who has pace and can cross balls in behind the defence instead of left footed crosses to the heart of the opposition defence from the right wing is much needed. We have to start giving RvW and Hooper a chance ...... it would not greatly surprise me to see both of them start![/quote]

If playing with just one striker (especially if it is Hooper or RvW who aren''t ''target men'') crossing is never going to be a fruitful outlet, left footed or right footed. Given Hughton''s comments at the supporters forum I would very much doubt RvW and Hooper together against Cardiff, Ricky will come back into the team if fit.

[quote user="BigFish"]

RvW looks execellent in the air when he gets a decent cross

[/quote]

He is a good header of the ball, but he isn''t going to be able to win headers against big defenders - crosses into him have to be pinpoint accurate an incredibly hard skill when a winger is on the run with head down. Norwich get a lot of crosses into the box it was well over 20 in games against Stoke, Villa, Hull and Southampton - but it is really easy to defend against when there aren''t plenty of players in the box. That counts for both in-swinging and out-swinging crosses.

Fair point, but to take the liberty a paraphrase your reply the problem is more about not getting enough players in the box rather than whether we have a target man.

Bethnal, you sum up our attacking problems well, plenty of crosses, but none of them any good. We need to stretch the defence more to allow more margin of error for our crosses. I think the Cardiff game isn''t the one to be drastic and drop the two most influential players from last season (Bassong and Snoddy) but they are walking a thin line.

It''s a game made for Redmond, much like the Everton and Southampton games were. If pushed, here''s my line up:

4-1-4-1

Ruddy

Whittaker

Turner

Bassong

Olsson

Tettey

Snoddy

Fer

Wes

Redmond

RVW