Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

RVW & Hooper

Do you truly think that any of these, by our standards, expensive signing would have agreed to sign for us, if they had not been given a clear indication of their role.

Would they have signed in the knowledge that CH was intent on playing a lone striker for the season.

Personally i don''t think so!

In the friendly game when both were on the field together it looked as if Hooper was set to play just behind RVW, and this could be a clue as to how CH intends the team to play for several of the games this season.

I know that many of us yearn for two strikers.

I would be truly interested to see what other think about their roles this season.

Spurs at the weekend played Soldado on his own up frontChelsea played Torres on his own up front vs HullEverton played Jelavic on his ownWe played Wolfswinkel on his ownSwansea played Michu on his ownMan United played RVP on his ownSouthampton played Lambert on his ownSunderland and Fulham both played 4-4-1-1Aston Villa, Cardiff, West Ham and Crystal Palace all played 4 3 3I think the only teams to play 4 4 2 last week were Man City and West BromIf Hooper and RVW play in the same team, I would expected Hooper to play in Hoolahan''s role4 4 2 is outdated and I can''t see us ever playing it under Hughton

Some people, generally of the older generation, have this deluded belief that 2 strikers in a 4 4 2 = more goals.If you look at pretty much every top European team however, they all play football from the midfield.The whole issue we have is supply.If we can feed the Wolf from midfield he will score lots of goals.Sticking another Striker next to him is going to help nobody.

The fact that we have a better quality forward line means we can have more options and formations. We can go 442 if needed, although the majority of us can''t see it happening. One up front, two or even, dare I say it, the diamond etc.

"Spurs at the weekend played Soldado on his own up front

Chelsea played Torres on his own up front vs Hull

Everton played Jelavic on his own

We played Wolfswinkel on his own

Swansea played Michu on his own

Man United played RVP on his own

Southampton played Lambert on his own

Sunderland and Fulham both played 4-4-1-1

Aston Villa, Cardiff, West Ham and Crystal Palace all played 4 3 3

I think the only teams to play 4 4 2 last week were Man City and West Brom

If Hooper and RVW play in the same team, I would expected Hooper to play in Hoolahan''s role

4 4 2 is outdated and I can''t see us ever playing it under Hughton"

There. Thread closed.

442 is a pre historic formation which people like fabio capello plays. An out of date stale formation for out of date managers. 1 up front is all about the support from the wingers and the midfield. Chelsea for example.

Hazard Mata Schurle

Torres

So your telling me that is not attactive because thats only one out and out striker.

It drove me mad last season when people went on about playing 2 up top. As stated above 4-4-2 is old and outdated, as it allows teams to exploit the midfield. But then again so is playing the same formation throughout the match. A lot of teams now play with a 4-2-3-1 which can change into a 4-5-1 if needed or even revert into a 4-3-3. Manchester United did this numerous times last season especially in European games.

This is how I expect us to play this season. We''ll set out with Howson, Johnson and Fer in our midfield and these three''s positions will depend on the state of the game. That will be the 3 in our midfield tomorrow.

This whole "playing 2 up front is positive, 1 up front is negative" is an extremely naive way to look at a football match, and I hope to god the idiots on Canary Call are the only "fans" who think that playing two up front is more positive than just playing the one. Because it''s not.

So what our friend Ken here is suggesting is that Hughton lied to them to get them to sign.

Hmmmm.

Nice.

We do like to see two strikers like in the 4-2 against Newcastle a couple of seasons ago, but we all recognise now, I hope, that this isn''t the current trend.   It will be interesting to see if Hooper can play the role behind RVW.  Elmander can definitely do that.   Hughton tried Holt in that position too once or twice.

Ken suggested that Hooper might be deployed behind RVW,  making a 4411 situation.    I hope Hughton can accomodate  Hooper and RVW together in a 4411 shape.  We shall see.

[quote user="lake district canary"] We do like to see two strikers like in the 4-2 against Newcastle a couple of seasons ago, but we all recognise now, I hope, that this isn''t the current trend.   It will be interesting to see if Hooper can play the role behind RVW.  Elmander can definitely do that.   Hughton tried Holt in that position too once or twice.

Ken suggested that Hooper might be deployed behind RVW,  making a 4411 situation.    I hope Hughton can accomodate  Hooper and RVW together in a 4411 shape.  We shall see.[/quote]My thoughts exactly !

When was the last time we really saw a two pronged attack force in the top flight? Shearer & Sutton perhaps.

Without checking, Henry and Bergkamp with any cross over perhaps?

I don''t think Hooper would of come hear with the knowledge of RVW being the main man. Perhaps to sit behind in a Wes role, more so at home than away. A poacher, less of a runner - more in a Fowler fashion? To be used in effect when needed.

Fer can sit behind these two and feed, could work.

4-4-2 may not be any more attacking than other formations but people saying it is outdated is ridiculous.

Having two strikers not only allows one striker to create space/a diversion for the second striker, as another body to mark, but it also allows for two various options/passes rather than one to pick out for the creative player.

Additionally it is likely that with two strikers you have two very clinical finishers rather than one and therefore those upfront who do take shots are more likely to score.

Of course this formation does require two quality all rounder type centre-midfielders who must be creative by threading pinpoint passes, have good awareness to spot the runs and tackle hard when it counts, which is why it worked so well for Man City. Don''t think we have the midfield yet to play 4-4-2 but Fer is one step closer perhaps.

4-4-2 is not dead it is just when you are in the top leagues it is more likely.

I like genuine wingers and two strikers, to have those players supporting is key but not many players have that engine.

Hooper did play in an attacking left sided forward, I would like us to sign another striker to be able to do that on the right. But you also need the midfield to be capable but it is all about evolution.

I think Hughton is moulding a grea team, his signings again. Have proved it.

[quote user="The Funky Homosapien"]4-4-2 may not be any more attacking than other formations but people saying it is outdated is ridiculous.[/quote]Then why do no manager clubs use it anymore?