Sign in to follow this  
Big Malky

defensive cover?

Morning chaps. Been a reader on here for several years now, finally decided to join.

Anyway was just wondering what people think about us defensively? I still think we''re short another quality Cb. Bassong is class, & will always play when fit. Turner is the best of the rest for me. I like Russ there but think he is prone to switch off, & young Bennet is more for the future. I''d have loved us to move for Caulker but he''s gone now. What does everyone else think, & who if anyone should we move for?

I thought Ryan finished last season strongly (very unlucky not to start last week I thought) and turner quickly lost his early season disasters.

Yet yet without seb we dont not look as organised or secure. I dont think Martin is the answer so ideally would like a strong signing here. However we probably do have enough cover here - just.

Morning BM.   I think a lot depends on how Martin performs today, if he plays.    If he does play - and does well - he will more than likely keep his place.   We may think Bassong is first choice, but he may have to wait to get in the team until we lose or put in a bad defensive performance.  Hughton is loyal to players that are playing well in the team, so it is not a given that Bassong will come straight in.    In that scenario I think we have enough defenders for this season, imo.

Personally I think another CB is a luxury we''re hopefully in a financial position to afford, rather than an absolute necessity. It would be great to add an Alderweireld or Kouyate etc, but I think if that werent the case we''d got on just fine without one. Likelihood is that between the three of Bassong Turner and Martin we''ll be fine, theyre certainly good enough. If injury comes about, Bennett and Ayala are probably adequate cover. Biggest threat I suppose is an injury to Whittaker, as this would mean Russ would have to play RB (no E Bennett as emergency cover now due to his injury), which might leave us a bit thin.

But if we dont get anyone in I think it would be far from a disaster. But a new signing would certainly be exciting

We were said to be "following" a young Dane, in competition with Southampton. I think that his name was Frederic Sorensen, or have I misremembered. He is young, but definitely one for the future.

It was indeed suggested we were interested in Frederik Sorensen, he''s 6ft 4 and sounds promising, at Bologna but co-owned by Juve - that bit of it may be a possible stumbling block.

I''d have thought we were still in for a defender (esp if Ayala does go to Boro), but I guess we''ll see if it is him or not in the next week.

We''re a bit thin in that area. Bassong and Turner are excellent but who can you get to come in of that level or better?

Ryan Bennett not being in the team last week probably tells you that they don''t really rate him. If he was as good as people have made out then he''d have been in.