Sign in to follow this  
BOO

Leadership

I think that is the sort of game that Holty would have grabbed by the scruff of the neck, got the lads going and at least shown some drive and desire.

Without him this season where will that leadership come from?

I thought Bassong was back for this game. He was usually absent in our losses, bring back the B-Man!

Did anyone spot what our tactics were when they went down to 10 men, did we come out with a revised game plan at the start of the second half, if so what was it?

At the start of the second half we revised the midfield to accommodate Snods on the right, Redmond on the left, Fer and Tettey in CM then Howson as the breaking midfielder.

As the commentators noted, Howson started to look better in the second half but I didn''t really feel any additional attacking intent. Really, it seemed to involve Redmond less and at the minute that''s a big no.

That sounds reasonable Mason, the problem was that Snoddy had a game he will want to forget very quickly, don''t know if he is still injured, but he provided very little threat down the right, and when Redmond went off the only thing that came down the left was Wes occasionally and Garrido, Garrido looked toothless going forward and Olssen would have been much better in that role. He has pace to get behind defences and can cross well. So we basically had a poor Snoddy on the right and a poor Garrido on the left, against 10 men. Surely Hughton could see that, we really needed to get behind the 10 men to cause them problems, there was no way through playing it more centrally.

In fairness,and I was a massive fan of Holt, but there were times last season when he didnt get us out of such situations, people just have convenient selective memories. It was Bassong who we would have got some leadership today in what was a winnable match and I''m as gutted as the next man.....but looking forward to the next match believing we will perform much better........