Sign in to follow this  
Bws Cat

Match thread vs Hull Tiggers

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Oh well another standard Saturday with Hughton in charge. Can''t see him lasting till Christmas.[/quote]

It may have been said in jest, or in the heat of the moment but I fear that you may not be too wide of the mark. McNasty is not going to stand for his 20 million plus investment being used quite so ineptly.

We have, supposedly, upgraded the playing staff, so one may have to ask, between today''s performance and last seasons poor goal scoring record what is the common denominator. It wont take a genius to work out that it is probably the tactics, ergo the manager/coaches.

I doubt that we were the only ones who wondered at today''s team selection and inability to score against 10 men for over an hour.

I don''t want to be all doom and gloom. The signings this year have been good signings. The problem will always be the way we play them.

Rvw Very good player but as a lone striker against a strong defender he will not get much of a look in unless the service is very good.

Redmond. Prospect prospect prospect. Good feet and very tricky with pace to burn. Needs to learn when to play the ball and how to cross.

Fer. Needs to learn the premiership but will catch up very soon and will be the best signing this summer.

Olson. Jack of all trades but a good squad player.

Hooper. We will have to wait and see.

If we are going to play one up front then we need the most creative midfielders possible and I think this is the area we are now lacking. All the players we have signed are good on paper but will they ever fit houghtons way of playing. I hope Redmond learns quickly but coming from being a Championship player coming on as sub in most games this is asking a lot. I can see houghton playing one up front for most of the season (if he lasts) and hooper being his first choice as for Howe ever good RVW is he will struggle against a strong centre half on his own.

When the highlight of the day was the fact that the wi-fi worked in the stadium you know you''''ve had a bad day.

It really is the hope that kills you.

After last season on the road when our only plan was set up as if the opposition is always Barcelona, defend the 0-0, and hope, against expectation, that you might nick a goal I had dared to dream that with all our new ''attacking'' acquisitions things might be different this year. Go behind with last season''s plan A and essentially that''s game over.

Today, a good turn out from the yellows - bet we''ll back down to 800 for Stoke - against a team one might have dared to dream that we might at least have tried to target as a potential away win. But all hope was dashed as soon as the line-up was announced. Clearly, the plan was the Wigan/Stoke approach again.

Many others have already picked through the bones. We''re much too defensive on the road (indeed we''re much too defensive at home but let''s leave that debate to post-Soton). We should be targeting the bottom 10 teams in the PL with the confidence, approach and objective of winning these matches. Yes, we''ll lose some but, you know, we might actually win some as well. Play for the 0-0 and the majority of time we''ll get precisely what such a negative strategy deserves, nothing.

The Hull fans were right when they were singing ''and we''ve only got 10 men''. Says it all.