Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Playing Fer in the 2nd striker role

Whilst I am very much not a fan of Hughton''s negative/conservative tactics one thing I have always thought he is is a sensible football man who can see the strengths and weaknesses of players.

I am therefore completely bemused by his apparent determination to play Fer as a second striker behind RVW when it seems (to me at least) that Fer is a central midfielder who looks at his best bursting forward with the ball from deep. We he plays behind RVW the game just seems to pass him by somewhat. He improved markedly when dropped deeper in the second half and played several promising through balls, something none of our other midfielders do. I therefore hope that we do not see him starting in the more forward role again.

I am also bemused at the continued selection of Garrido ahead of Olsson. Garrido was once again appalling as he was in pre season and in truth has been since around November last year.

It''s amazing, this game was made for Olsson, especially when they went down to ten men, we had nobody getting behind the defence.

Fer IS an attacking midfielder, and is built for the second striker role. It''s his first game in English football, give the lad a chance

[quote user="AJ"]Fer IS an attacking midfielder, and is built for the second striker role. It''s his first game in English football, give the lad a chance[/quote]

Fer is a good player so he can do a good job behind the striker, but i''m sorry he is a centre midfielder, one who attacks yes, but a central midfielder none the less. I''d like to us give him THAT chance.

Fer will be played as no 10. Howson will be played as a holding player. Snodgrass will be played on the right. Garrido will be preffered to Olsen. RVW will be left isolated. Becchio will not play. etc etc etc.CH and PL. Our last two managers- also sums up their levels of competency I suspect.

IF Fer is our number 10 then we need to buy a holding midfielder.

It was by miles our weakest area of the pitch last season and has been again so far this year.

Fer is a box to box midfielder. He''s wasted as a No.10, as is Howson on the right. Funnily enough he''s quite useful in then No. 10 role though.

Who woulda thunked it.

I''d prefer to see Fer played as one of the two midfielders. But I guess when the tactic''s are predominantly based around being solid, it''s a lot easier to be solid with a player like Fer dropping in to help out than with a player like Howson or Hoolahan who always look like they are doing their best at tackling back rather than it being natural. Personally I''d like to see a attacking/creative player as the 2nd striker, who is being supported by Fer from deeper.

Fer is a classic CM!

Strength, skill, energy!

He can control a midfield and needs to play there with a less defensively able player ahead!

The team had no balance today. The only way that line up could work is with no rigid formation. A free moving midfield where Players Continuously move around.

Total Football! We may have gone Dutch but that is where any comparison ends!

Snake

The midfield is screaming out for Fer alongside one of Johnson/Tettey, with either Howson or Wes in the hole behind RVW.

Fer''s wasted in that No 10 role for me.

Fer may be a great number 10 but we''ll never find out with BJ and Tettey both playing behind him, he''ll never see the ball.