Sign in to follow this  
Ivan Easter

Two up Front

not 100% convinced of RvW but it''s only been 2 games and he''s not had much service to work from. Once Hooper is back I can see RvW starting on the bench that may/may not be a good decision with Elmander playing behind Hooper.Still too early to panic about the 5 points dropped so looking for a much better performance against Southampton at FCR next week.

How can we do that when Hooper is not fit?And it doesnt matter if you play 50 up front if there is n supply.  This two up front obsession is built on pure ignorance.[quote user="EGGY a Gibraltar Canary"]Still think we should play 2 up front, RVW and Hooper[/quote]

rvw movement was good again today - but the service was too ponderous.

We may not have physical speed in teh team but our build play remains too slow - too many touches before the ball moved (too predictably) on. More one touch link up play needed to make the most of our new found pace - but can the players think fast enough to do it - or have the basic tekkers??

it seems that within football now, its a sign of blasphemy or outdated tactics to play 442!.......but there are still occasions where it necessary to play it (like having a man advantage over a newly promoted team for over an hour).

it seems that for the sake of about 6 yards, a 2nd striker playing behind a main striker is acceptable in modern day football, but playing 2 alongside each other isn''t?

its rather pathetic...the point of playing a 4411 is that the support striker drops back to act as a third midfielder. If however you''ve got 2 strikers on the pitch ie RVW and Hooper, then bloody play them as 2 strikers in a 442 and call it what it is................this formation afterall has been played for 30 odd years?

for what its worth however I''m not overly sure that RVW and Hooper appear to be a comfortbale duo?  Elmander + one of them seems a better combination.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

it seems that within football now, its a sign of blasphemy or outdated tactics to play 442!.......but there are still occasions where it necessary to play it (like having a man advantage over a newly promoted team for over an hour).

it seems that for the sake of about 6 yards, a 2nd striker playing behind a main striker is acceptable in modern day football, but playing 2 alongside each other isn''t?

its rather pathetic...the point of playing a 4411 is that the support striker drops back to act as a third midfielder. If however you''ve got 2 strikers on the pitch ie RVW and Hooper, then bloody play them as 2 strikers in a 442 and call it what it is................this formation afterall has been played for 30 odd years?

for what its worth however I''m not overly sure that RVW and Hooper appear to be a comfortbale duo?  Elmander + one of them seems a better combination.

[/quote]

completely agree

Seen enough of RVW already to know that he is class.

Clever in how he moves, clever with the few touches he gets on the ball and I think he''ll prove to be a very cool customer infront of goal.

No worries about him at all.

[quote user="GJP"]

Clever in how he moves, clever with the few touches he gets on the ball and I think he''ll prove to be a very cool customer infront of goal.

[/quote]

he''s not problem....its how we''re setting the team up around and behind him. You could put Van Persie in our side as a lone striker and he''d struggle to get hald a dozen goals in a season

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

he''s not problem....its how we''re setting the team up around and behind him. You could put Van Persie in our side as a lone striker and he''d struggle to get hald a dozen goals in a season

[/quote]

I agree. When you''ve got quality like him you''ve got to get the ball to him in dangerous areas. I hope Hughton hasn''t spent £8.5m on a striker and now doesn''t really know what to do with him. It''ll be interesting to see because from a goal scoring point of view he did not play to Holt''s strengths last season. But RVW has obviously come here (come to the Prem) to make name for himself as a top goal scorer.

(And I was more responding to the person saying they''re not 100% sure on RVW)

Of course we should be playing two strikers in games like Hull and at home.

I assume Southampton at home is a game the manager thinks we ought to have some chance of beating. Let''s hope our strategy isn''t one up front, let the away team have the ball, defend deep, and hope something might come along.