Sign in to follow this  
Monty13

Huddlestone and Davies

Two best players on the pitch today imo. Don''t want to dwell on the result or the performance (thats happening in multiple threads!).

But we have been rumoured (or in Davies'' case have I believe?) made bids for them in the past.

Anyone else feel like we missed a trick on two decent signings?

Huddlestone for me is the one in particular I would have liked to have seen, someone who can sit in front of the back four break up play but most importantly still has a great array of passing. A genuine upgrade on Johnson based on todays performance.

Davies was the best CB today, whether he would be an automatic starter is a matter for debate, but in many peoples opinion we are still short a CB.

Been very happy with our transfer dealings so far but I think both of these would have also improved the squad.

Oops I made the mistake of asking a genuine question during full blown pinkun meltdown, I''ll never learn.

Both would improve the squad.

Huddlestone is clearly a better footballer than Johnson.

Thing about Davies though is that Hughton worked with him at Birmingham so he knows plenty about him but he obviously didn''t see enough to make a big effort to sign him. He probably wouldn''t have put him ahead of Turner (or Bassong) and if we were interested Davies would have known he''s much more likely to be first choice at Hull.

Both will stand out for Hull this season simply on merit of having played a lot of football at this level before.

Davies in particular had a lovely day of sweeping up nothing cross and passes. This will not be the case most weeks.

I agree that Davies would have been unlikely to oust turner so maybe would not have been interested in a squad role as opposed to a big fish at Hull.

huddlestone is for me the player were crying out for, a DM who can also take the ball from the back four and use it effectively. If (and it''s a big if!) he stays fit I''ll feel we missed out on a big piece of our squad jigsaw.

I''d rather see fer utilised in this role if we don''t bring someone in, he certainly has an eye for a ball

That is the thing with Huddlestone, the fitness.

Football wise he''s very talented.

Huddlestone is very average- scores one long range goal every now and then but has spent the majority of his career in a fitness battle. There''s a reason why he''s at Hull.

Davies is so Championship it hurts. Think he''d be vying for third choice with Bennett - he knows he''ll play at Hull but wouldn''t really get a game with Seb and Turner about.

As an aside, what''s all this clamouring to drop Turner every time Martin is in form. Bassong is the best CB at the club- Turner is 2nd.

[quote user="Canary On The Wire"]Huddlestone is very average- scores one long range goal every now and then but has spent the majority of his career in a fitness battle. There''s a reason why he''s at Hull.

Davies is so Championship it hurts. Think he''d be vying for third choice with Bennett - he knows he''ll play at Hull but wouldn''t really get a game with Seb and Turner about.

As an aside, what''s all this clamouring to drop Turner every time Martin is in form. Bassong is the best CB at the club- Turner is 2nd.[/quote]Wow. And we have so much better players based on today. Lets just poo poo the other team and we''ll get a few extra points because we should have beaten them this season!!!

So the point you''re making is ....er....

I''m only really getting ''every time we lose we must realise it is because the other team have better players than us''

Jesus. Arsenal and Man Utd must have really tested our mettle with those £20m bids for Pilks and Holt last year

[quote user="GJP"]

That is the thing with Huddlestone, the fitness.

Football wise he''s very talented.

[/quote]^^^This.He just won''t stay fit, thats why he''s at Hull.