Sign in to follow this  
The Farmer

Our midfield is pants

Just that really.

No invention, creation, no nothing. Unless we count Redmond running without an end product as ''something''.

Hull are probably nailed on to finish bottom.

We''ve not even managed to carve them open once.

Fer to me, looks ideal but in a central midfield role. Not behind the striker.

And the lad Garrido is shocking at full back. And don''t get me started on Howson. Clearly has it in his locker, but rarely arsed about getting it out.

Hooper and Snoddy will make a difference, but logic/my brain tells me that Hughton won''t be here for the long haul.

You don''t sanction £25m of spending, without expecting to beat the likes of Hull.

What''s frustrating is the team figured it out the last 2 games in May and have gone back to the ineffective, boring style that had us relegation''s door to start the new year.

Why?

We signed attacking players but don''t take advantage of their assets on the day when after 20 min. there was no doubt using that talent properly but we waited til half time to change from the gutless opening strategy by which time Hull had adapted and our uninspired team couldn''t penetrate their 18 yard box.

Easy win for them.

Having not seen any action this season as unable to get a feed, I can only go by posters reactions. But i have one question to pose, how can a person become a professional football player earning well in excess of £500,000 per season but be totally unable to pass a football accurately? We seem to have cornered the market in these players.

That was my major frustration manic. Constant crab like passss,or short forward passes, which were simple, ended up back with Hull possession. Too many times to mention. Extremely frustrating and I''ve probably annoyed my neighbour because of it.

i honestly think we are a play maker away from having a very good midfield the problem seems to be finding a formation / tactic the manager wants to play that suits them all. Bennett / Snodgrass / Pilkingon / Redmond are all very good wingers. Fer seems a good bet box to box. Johnson good holding. Wes has the spark but no competition. I think the problem is more our style of play is sit back and wait for a brake rather than being on the front foot and pressing high up the pitch. I would be more than happy if we played Pilkington / RVW / Redmond as a front three ala Swansea with Johnson / Fer / (An other) and press high but under CH its just not going to happen.

That was a shocker on every level. It was tactically inept, poor skill levels and negative team selection. It was like watching 4 Gareth Battys in the middle. Garrido huffed but never really puffed, the defence must have been terrified by the support they had and RVW may as well have gone to the pub.

[quote user="the bristol nest"]That was a shocker on every level. It was tactically inept, poor skill levels and negative team selection. It was like watching 4 Gareth Battys in the middle. Garrido huffed but never really puffed, the defence must have been terrified by the support they had and RVW may as well have gone to the pub.[/quote]

The problems are there still in midfield, but with Fer we have a class act to build around.   I thought Howson had  a decent second half too yesterday.  As for RVW going to the pub, should that have been  before or after he forced the best save of the game out of Macgreggor?

Howson improved when CH was forced to put him back in the middle. Fer looked much at better controlling the play when forced to move further back by substitutions. If CH can learn from this we may see round pegs in round holes. Midfield for the next game (play a full strength side against Bury as they clearly need the practice) should be IMO

Snodgrass Fer Howson or Johson Pilkington

I prefer Howson in the Hoolahan role but would play Wes behind RVW .

Howson was one of our better players first half (despite being pushed out wide) and quite clearly our best player second half when playing more centrally.