Sign in to follow this  
FCC

Observations & Thank You

From my seat - which was covered in bird cr@p - my thoughts on today were:-

No idea how we are trying to play. If we use wingers to cross in high balls we might as well have saved our money and kept Holt.

We strengthend the squad and seemed to play Howson and Fer out of position.

Pass and move requires midfielders moving forward - today ours didn''t.

Hughton responded too slowly to the poor performance and in attacking Hull.

Shocking performance with no positives that I could see.

Hughton in or out - its up to the players he has put his faith in. After today he must be worried at the lack of effort and talent.

The away kit didn''t help, I am sure Martin misplaced a couple of passes as both teams had black shorts. As we are only likely to change against Hull, Wolves, and Watford black shorts appears ridiculous.

Lastly - I travel alone to the games, so thanks to the fans around me for allowing me to join in the entertaining Hughton in or out half time debate and other conversations.

Pass and move requires midfielders moving forward - today ours didn''t.This is a spot on observation, i mentioned it in another thread. Our midfield is so reserved its irritating. We all saw what happened when Jonny Howson was actually allowed to run with the ball last season !But seriously, the amount of times we find a winger isnt free so the ball gets passed to a Centre Back is infuriating. Our midfield is so shackled its not even funny.Hoots needs to learn attacking football. Hes great at slogging out draws but he cant win for toffee !

howson right flank first half was a massive error and should simply never be repeated.

but we said that about left wing and wes - and what happened today??

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]

This is a spot on observation, i mentioned it in another thread. Our midfield is so reserved its irritating. We all saw what happened when Jonny Howson was actually allowed to run with the ball last season !
But seriously, the amount of times we find a winger isnt free so the ball gets passed to a Centre Back is infuriating. Our midfield is so shackled its not even funny.
Hoots needs to learn attacking football. Hes great at slogging out draws but he cant win for toffee !
[/quote]

I think this hits the nail on the head. I made the point some time ago that our three managers/coaches are two former defenders and one former defensive midfileder (plus, of course, a goalkeeping coach). Would it not be an idea to bring in someone with appropriate expereince to work with the strikers and on the attacking side of the game because for a major part of the time we don''t appear to have a clue on how to break down opposing defences.

100% Webbo, " for a major part of the time we don''t appear to have a clue on how to break down opposing defences."Its like we get so far and it becomes a "What do I do next Dad ?" moment

I get your point Webbo but I really fear it will not improve things. The coaching staff are are simply not up to it.

I hope I''m I''m wrong and will happily admit it but if after 7 games we do not see an improvement they will have to go.

The squad looks strong but the tactics are truly dire. I fear that some of the squad are not too happy. Certainly Pilks tweet tonight saying we should have kept Vaughan and the words of Holt on the main reason for leaving does not augur well

Trouble is when you set out to draw rather than win matches this must affect the players'' mindsets. We could still be playing now and the only thing we would have achieved is a horizontal trench in the grass just outside outside our penalty area as the ball is passed from side to side.

[quote user="NWCoastCanary"]From my seat - which was covered in bird cr@p - my thoughts on today were:-

No idea how we are trying to play. If we use wingers to cross in high balls we might as well have saved our money and kept Holt.

We strengthend the squad and seemed to play Howson and Fer out of position.

Hughton responded too slowly to the poor performance and in attacking Hull.

Shocking performance with no positives that I could see.

Hughton in or out - its up to the players he has put his faith in. After today he must be worried at the lack of effort and talent.

The away kit didn''t help, I am sure Martin misplaced a couple of passes as both teams had black shorts. As we are only likely to change against Hull, Wolves, and Watford black shorts appears ridiculous.

Lastly - I travel alone to the games, so thanks to the fans around me for allowing me to join in the entertaining Hughton in or out half time debate and other conversations.[/quote]After reflecting a bit on what I saw yesterday at the game I have to agree with most of your post.  Our midfield was very ponderous when in possession giving Hull midfielders time to get behind the ball, we made it really easy for them to defend.  Snoddy was so isolated when he eventually did receive the ball there were 3 Hull players around him & no support.  When the ball was eventually crossed from out wide it was cronically poor most of the time.Is it me? Or does our midfield have no clue on how to make an incisive forward pass?  Fox & Hooly anyone?  Were we going to risk getting opened up with these players on the same pitch when Hull were down to 10 men? No disrespect but they are hardly Chelsea or Man U!!  To my mind these two players were the only 2 of those available capable of delivering ''that pass'' to RvW who did make some good runs off the ball but no one seems to have the vision or passing ability to deliver the ball to him!By the way on the basis of what I have seen of RvW (Real Solciodad, Everton & now Hull) this boy is ''quality'' he has had absolute scaps to feed off so far, yesterday he had one decent cross come into the box his resulting header required a pretty good save from McGregor to keep it out. Same storey with Everton gane only 2 proper chances with 1 goal scored!So how is Chris Houghton going to utilise his talents?  Does it just depend on wing play & Snoddy winning cheap free kicks around the box?  I seriously hope not otherwise we may as well have kept hold of Holt & kept the cash!