Sign in to follow this  
Hannibal II

A split fan base is not good for the harmony of a club...

We have seen time and time again in football that when a fan base is split so drastically by/on a manager that it can only lead to bad things. The job after Lambert was always going to be a difficult one given the success he achieved coupled with the entertainment value of our progress. Hughton was always going to be under a vast amount of pressure to do well. He kept us up job done for him but for us fans it lacked the panache we had been used to, the entertaining football. Anyone who watched a majority of City games last year would find it hard to fathom why anyone would want to watch a Norwich game who wasn''t a Norwich fan (Remember thats how you attract new fans and the all important Overseas markets). Which brings us on to this season. We have spent big, to look to what i hoped would be added entertainment value. Although only two games in the progress i''d hoped we''d of made in the summer does not seem to of made its way to the pitch. A club can spend all the money it wants on strikers but if you never give them the opportunity to score its a waste of money.

Us supports are a fickle bunch. From my own perspective i have always been fine to lose so long as we have put up a good show, i realise that we can''t win every game. The thing i am worried about is we just don''t entertain anymore. We have always been a side liked by other fans for playing football the proper way. Nice free flowing passing football. That seems to of gone which makes me very sad as a Norwich fan as its part of our identity, its been bread into the culture of the club for as long as i can remember.

This is not a Hughton out thread, the best managers learn from there mistakes time will tell if Chris has learned from last year but the signs are not good in the opening two games. More time should and will be given to the manager but the realist in me knows when a fan base is split on a manager it only goes one way.

The answer is simple.  The players have to sort it out and improve their performance.    Hughton is not stupid.   He knows the midfield aren''t providing.  He has bought in good players and they should improve as a unit as the new players bed in.   So imo it is down to the players to sort it out on the pitch.  We all know  Hughton''s record is one of high goal scoring teams so lets be patient see how the team improves over the next few weeks. 

You are right.  A split fanbase is not good for a club, neither is a feeling of negativity around the place.  So we all need to stay calm, realise that things can improve and see how the players react to yesterday''s performance in the next match.  

Who says the fanbase is split?Do you really think that the plethora of muppets that post here area true representation of fans opinion?

Morty I can only speak for myself and some of the friends i have who are city fans and the general feeling is very mixed within my circle of supporters.

My personal feelings are i would rather someone else be in charge. My love for Norwich is unconditional but my opinion on a manager is another thing. I will always cheer for the team but everyone has a right to voice opinion good bad or indifferent i don''t think people should be hounded just because opinions differ as some make out on here.

Finish 11th in 2nd year in PremGo into 3rd year having bought 27m worth of playersHave very good squad / manager.Draw against strong Everton team at home while without full starting 11Lose to Hull second game of seasonPANICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I am not a doom monger and I''m not panicking but it gets harder and harder to defend Hughton and the team at the moment. I agree with the OP that on personal experience rather than just this messageboard, there is a clear split between people that support Hughton and those that don''t.

Even yesterday there were people around me that were gobsmacked that we''d made three substitutions by the 70th minute rather than make the first one at 75. (not real numbers just generalising so you get the gist before people pick holes in that)

Having seen the way teams can perform under Hughton he still has my support to get things right but having seen Holt''s comments (albeit sounding somewhat bitter) how long do we think RVW will be happy with service that gets him about 5 shots on target in the last 5 games?

I think we''ve made good signings but yesterday showed that if a team says "come and attack us then" we find it difficult. It''s no coincidence that we were able to beat teams that were trying to beat us and were struggling against teams that just try to stop us.

I don''t know how Match of the Day made us look quite good yesterday but coming back from Hull there was nothing but bad feeling about that performance.

Bruce had his team well drilled and credit should go to Hull for how they held us to shooting from 25 yards, but it''s still unclear whether the fault is with the players or Hughton at the moment.