Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

Tettey Stat

Don''t hate Tettey.

But also don''t see why he should be applauded for making 5 yard passes and not progressing the play on, more often than not slowing it down.

I think tettey does a job but you cant play johnson and tettey together if your going for a win. Its ok against the top teams but not hull.

We actually made the most passes of all Premiership teams that played yesterday.Spin that whatever way you will.

Yup. He had a fair amount of criticism for giving the ball away a lot yesterday but, as is quite often the case, people see what they want to see.

Didn''t he (Holtmania) do a pretty comprehensive player report for the Everton game? If so I''m hoping he does the same for the Hull game. I''m guessing that Howson will be top midfielder.

I didn''t think he gave the ball away much, that''s not my frustration with Tettey personally, it''s that you virtually never see him attempt a penetrating ball.

[quote user="hogesar"]Don''t hate Tettey.

But also don''t see why he should be applauded for making 5 yard passes and not progressing the play on, more often than not slowing it down.[/quote]

But people rave when Xavi does it.

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="hogesar"]Don''t hate Tettey.

But also don''t see why he should be applauded for making 5 yard passes and not progressing the play on, more often than not slowing it down.[/quote]

But people rave when Xavi does it.[/quote]Because Xavi is actually brilliant at starting attacks?

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"][quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="hogesar"]Don''t hate Tettey.

But people rave when Xavi does it.[/quote]Because Xavi is actually brilliant at starting attacks?

[/quote]

🎣

That surprises me a little, interested to see Bradley''s stats, now I''m a fan but it looked like he had a mare yesterday on the passing front....

The first person that came to mind as a comparison was, Leon Britton. Sideways and backwards passes a-plenty, with an impressive pass success percentage that doesn''t tell the whole story.

I''m no "Tettey hater" far from it. I''ve previously commented on his improved performances during pre season, especially against Panathinaikos. Yesterday however was reminiscent of Tettey in his poorest patch of form. His passes were quite negative and I''m not surprised they were in large pass successful. They should be. Unchallenged passes that have no one between the passer and the recipient should be successful!

If the unsuccessful passes were the only one''s played forward, and I don''t know if they are, then that''s a concern.

Passing stats are very misleading as it doesn''t tell you what the movement was like infront of the passer. I cant help but feel that we play so rigidly that players look worried about being caught out of position, wanting to keep the shape of the formation rather than making a decent move to create an option for the man on the ball. That''s why it''s called pass and move, not pass and stand still and we currently don''t do the move part very well.

Last time i checked you don''t get extra points for having the most passes in a game rather scoring equal or more goals that the opposition.

It will probably get it''s won thread (deservedly so) but some very interesting observations;

http://www.holtamania.com/2013/08/25/story-of-a-match-hull-1-0-norwich/

You have to use players strengths - Tetteys are from a deep midfield holding position, reading the play and intercepting passes to break up play rather than being the creative.

Seeing him yesterday running at the hull box or taking a strike at goal while howson was asked to sit deep was the wrong use of the players talents.

Tettey should be the platform we build from - not in the same class as but doing the same role as deschamps and makalele did. He is the most effective player we have at this role.

As far as BJ was concerned - yesterday was about typical for his passing; last week was poor (as was howsons) but both improved muchly yest - although none of the three actually provided any penetration from their passing

I agree with ZLF.

Use Tettey as a base to protect the back four and play simple passes and let the likes of Fer and Howson do the damage going forward.