Sign in to follow this  
YellowNetsAreBetter

Garrido was terrible

Personally I feel that Garrido has been playing terribly recently. I don''t think he''s a bad player, but in the two games this season he''s looked frighteningly suspect when called upon.

Don''t get me wrong, I will be patient and hope the team starts performing a bit better. At least I''d like to see them fighting to win, which is something I''ve gotten used to over the past few seasons. Yesterday however, I was a bit shocked they didn''t seem so bothered and looked a bit like they had no idea how to break down Hull.

I''d love it, love it if we could retain the ball a bit better in the hole -- Wes, for me has got to be playing and does that job better than most. Tricky on the ball, good eye for a pass, and a smaller player that can and does win fairly a number of free kicks (not through cheating!).

In brief, my worries are:

> Defence with almost zero pace -- Whittaker and Garrido most guilty here (I like them, but some times yesterday when it was 2 Hull vs 3 or 4 Norwich defenders, I felt Hull were the more likely to win the battle).

> Retaining ball in dangerous areas, to help feed Mr Wolfy -- who looks to be an excellent finisher.

> How come Hughton is happy to play a tactically defensive line up, yet seem to not so care about having pace / being any good in defence. Bring back Bassong+Turner. Leave Martin on the right, and play Olsson please.

All that said, I don''t profess to being an expert -- I trust and will leave it to the people who know a bit more than me! Just wanted to see what others though (of my albeit ranty post)t...

Don''t rate him to be honest, Seems he has become a fans favourite cos he has a catchy song! I hope Olson proves to be the better option and makes the position his own.

Hes always been awful. Just a matter of time before olsson takes his place. I honestly dont think he was any better than tierney. Constantly losing his man, no pace

I see Garrido as a huge liability in our team. What worries me is that if a lot of our fans can see this, then opposition teams could see it just as easily.

His positioning is terrible, which can be forgiven if there is pace to fix the problem, but he has none. My main concern is regarding his decision making. In both an attacking and defending sense he always makes terrible decisions. This either results in a loss of momentum going forward or added pressure at the back.

Don''t get me wrong, you can see he has a decent technique, and can put in the occasional good cross as a result, but the cons far outway the pros.

Olsson is a must against Southampton in a game where we should be looking to play in their half as much as possible.

I hope Olsson gets up to speed quickly, as he''d definitely be my first choice at lb (one thing that can''t be denied is that CH as been a bit unlucky with injuries at the start of his season!).

Garrido is ok, but not much more - for instance I thought his ''effort'' to get to Everton''s second last week (when Ruddy parried it) was pretty feeble, someone like Bassong/Turner would have been flinging himself in the way, possibly in vain, but at least in an attempt to block/put off the striker.

Wow 2 games in and scapegoat of the season award looks nailed on.

He didn''t have the greatest game yesterday but who did?

He also seems to me to have the twin problem of being asked to overlap more (he is IMO getting forward noticeably more) while having a very weak defensively winger in front of him. Not redmond''s fault he''ll develop and it''s worth the risk for his offensive talent, but it doesn''t help Garrido.

Can''t wait for Olsson to replace Garrido when he is fully fit. It showed when we played Real Sociedad that Olsson was quality and when Garrido replaced him they scored from a move down the left within about 5 minutes. Never have rated Garrido so was quite disappointed when we had to sign him because of the agreement in his loan. I don''t really see what he brings to the team.

Why cant someone be crap without becoming a scapegoat. He was crap all last year aswell. Thats why we signed olsson

[quote user="Eadie4England"]Why cant someone be crap without becoming a scapegoat. He was crap all last year aswell. Thats why we signed olsson[/quote]Certainly wasn''t crap all year.I remember the Man United game specifically where he was brillianthe never had direct competition however so I believe he got a bit complacent towards end of seasonHe''s a massive improvement on Tierney though...

[quote user="Monty13"]Wow 2 games in and scapegoat of the season award looks nailed on.

He didn''t have the greatest game yesterday but who did?

He also seems to me to have the twin problem of being asked to overlap more (he is IMO getting forward noticeably more) while having a very weak defensively winger in front of him. Not redmond''s fault he''ll develop and it''s worth the risk for his offensive talent, but it doesn''t help Garrido.[/quote]I have to admit I was starting to get worried as to who our scapegoat would be this season.

I don''t consider Garrido to be a scapegoat, I certainly don''t go in for such things - but do consider Olsson to be our first choice lb and would like to see him play.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Negative PostViews Post Count "mid 20''s"I''m beginning to spot a trend here[/quote]

You''re funny. Take a read of my post and I say I trust in those who know better, i.e., management ;).

Also, low post count = invalid thoughts from a 30+ year lifelong supporter of this marvellous club? Just like to point out: you were once at about 20 posts, meaning what about you exactly ;)? Also, your type of belittling accusational comment based on no evidence (e.g., "don''t bother listening to this person, they''ve only posted a few times") suggests less about me than you. I say chill out -- it''s only football -- great game, but ultimately only a game!

I was only suggesting my opinion about one player''s performance. Seems to have gotten out of hand with people suggesting "scapegoating", etc. Collective, shared opinion doesn''t necessarily = scapegoating. My comment was just that -- a comment about 1 player''s performance -- just my opinion. If others agree -- good. If others don''t, good too. It''s just an opinion. I''m all for constructive criticism, but some of the replies have not been what I''d expected.

Those who aren''t so happy, cheer up -- it''s sunny out and we''re in the Premier League with one of the best squads our team has ever had!!

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Negative PostViews Post Count "mid 20''s"I''m beginning to spot a trend here[/quote]

Reading, why can''t someone with 20 posts have just as much input as someone with 2000?

Just because some people have a life, family, jobs and don''t spend all day being a keyboard warrior arse like your self doesn''t mean they are part of a "trend"

Take it you were at the game yesterday and saw garrido play?!!!

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]I think Garrido''s game was affected by the lack of cover offered by Redmond, and indeed, Redmond spending much of the game in a more central position.[/quote]

Exactly Foghorn. Garrido is a decent fullback and, as everyone has conveniently forgotten, one of our most consistent performers of last season. I think that it is pathetic how everyone has jumped on the anti Garrido bandwagon. You try playing behind someone who offers you no assistance at all defensively. Redmond, for all his fine attacking flair has absolutely no defensive brain at all. He cuts in, loses the ball, they counter right, 2 on 1, simples. Redmond was without doubt at fault for Evertons 2nd last week as he completely lost Coleman and just stood marking space on the edge of the area. Now we know that some so called experts on here lay the blame firmly at Garrido''s door as they scored down the right and he''s the left back. Clueless.

Leave the guy alone muppets, he''s a quality full back.

I dont see how this come close to Garrido being a scapegoat and really hope we dont have that situation this season........That said, he hasnt started the season as well as he could be the looks of things, he certainly isnt a bad player, just a good one not up to speed yet. He needs to be though, as this season he has proper competition sitting on the bench just waiting for his chance.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]I wouldn''t have signed him permanently. He''s been rubbish since Xmas.[/quote]

But he hasn''t been rubbish.   He does some good things and some not so good things - just like every player.  He can have good games and not so good games - like any other player.   But on balance he is a good player. 

I always get the impression with Garrido  that he is used to playing a more controlled game than we are used to seeing.    Same with Bassong and RVW.      He defends well most of the time - ok, he''s occasionally found out - but so are all defenders.      We need a mix of players and Garrido has a great left foot.   I think that he will look a lot more comfortable as the team improves and develops.  

You can''t expect every player to play well all the time, but as we get better at controlling the ball as a team, all the players will look happier in their roles. As usual we have to try and be more patient and watch as the whole team develops this season.   Having scapegoats or rubbishing any of our players - or the manager for that matter is just potty.

There was a reason why olsson was at championship blackburn - he has pace height and strength but his defending is suspect particularly positionally.

Garrido has not done much wrong this season. I think we will see olsson play in games where the opponents have a height or pace advantage (eg arsenal and stoke) which were games Garrido was rested for last season.

Not sure how much redmond is a problem - he has made most tackles in both games this season.

My issues with Garrido is the following:

1. Little positional sense

2. Always 3-4 yards from the attacker, trying to sheperd him rather than tackle

3. Always wary of his lack of pace, so never actually tries to tackle in fear of being accused of rushing it.

4. Rarely/never actually blocks a cross

5. Loses all headers, last season he eas the direct cause of 2 or 3 goals agains. WBA away springs to mind, also several other occasions.

6. Seems to play for himself more than the team. HE seems to try to play in a way which does not make him a scapegoat, but in reality, he brings very little to the table.

7. Never takes his man on when he is in attacking positions. Against Hull it was very visible. Turns the wrong way and a support pass to a midfielder.

8. Often targeted as our weak spot by the opposition, and rightly so.

Conclusion: Garrido is nowehere good enough, and I have been whinging about this also last season.

Solution: Im not saying Olsson is brilliant, but at least try Olsson in the lb spot, following our poor start to the season. Olsson has got a cross in him, often from difficult angles, and he has pace to challenge the opposituion fullback when attacking.

Against Soton, who can counterattack us, we need pace, and Garrido has no pace. Therefore, out with Garrido, in with Olsson.