Sign in to follow this  
Green and Yellow fellow

Martin O'Neil

Chris Hughton as a representative of our club I think is great. He''s a classy manager who is well respected in the industry and a genuinely nice guy. I can''t fault him on that basis, but on the pitch is a different story.

We are a well organised team who are hard to break down, and if we didn''t concede that penalty we would''ve kept a clean sheet. At Everton it took a rare moment of class from Barkley and Ruddy was unlucky to parry his save in the path of Coleman. We won''t concede too many goals like that this season that''s for sure.

On the other hand, we got dominated against Everton at home and they probably did deserve to win the game from a neutrals POV. Also playing away at Hull, it''s fine to concede a goal, because at the start of the match our team has to be aiming to get one goal at least. Failing to do that against a team like Hull away is simply not good enough, especially considering that we''re trying to take our club to ''the next level''.

This makes me question Hughton and his style of of football, is he good enough to take us to the next level? Based on the tactics I''ve seen so far I have to say no. Meanwhile a top manager in Martin O''neil who has a very very similar style of play to Paul Lambert, which worked so well for our club is out of a job. Personally I would love to see him manage our club. Don''t get me wrong, I like Hughton and I can see what he''s trying to do with the team, but is it really what we need? Can we be doing better? I think so..

I think a lot of ppl deep down understand what CH is trying to do but it''s just getting dull now no one is asking us to go all out attack but we don''t seem to go and try and win games surely there are teams in this league where the team should be picked to go and have a go from the first minute to get the opposition on the back foot... I went to hull and as soon as they scored I just thought the best we can now hope for is a draw... Does anyone believe if we would of scored yesterday then the players would of been aloud to go for a winning... I really think we need to look at CH staff as well cos I think there influence in the set up of the team isn''t helpful

[quote user="Eadie4England"]Might aswell of said tony pulis[/quote]

Least we''d get the ball in the box

[quote user="Green and Yellow fellow"]"We have had (over the 2 games)

21 shots

6 on target

2 Goals

West Brom have had over 20 and not scored at all

Just saying.."

Irrelevant, everyone knows the more shots you have on goal the more likely you are to score.[/quote]You missed the point entirely.Us and West Brom have both had pretty much the same amount of shotsWest Brom fans aren''t calling for Clarke''s head though are they !

Martin O''Neil, a good player and manager for us in days gone by.Jumped ship twice when better opportunities were presented.Personally, I''m not up for giving him a third bite at the cherry.

The grass is always greener.  O''Neill and almost any other manager you could mention would not guarantee success.  Hughton is the man in position and he hasn''t finished what he started.   We need at least to give him time to develop the team and players he has bought.

ReadingCanary wrote the following post at 2013-08-25 6:09 PM:

A guy who has already managed us and left

A guy who has lost his touch and almost got Sunderland relegated

No thanks

Actually a guy who left because an interfering chairman would not let him get on with the job and back him regarding a particular player he wanted to sign. That same chairman Roert Chase who had said ''if Chris Sutton is not here next season I won''t be either''!

He lied. Would you work for a boss like that!

Martin O''Neill is a very good manager who has won more competitions and plaudits than Hughton ever will.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="Green and Yellow fellow"]"We have had (over the 2 games)

21 shots

6 on target

2 Goals

West Brom have had over 20 and not scored at all

Just saying.."

Irrelevant, everyone knows the more shots you have on goal the more likely you are to score.[/quote]You missed the point entirely.Us and West Brom have both had pretty much the same amount of shotsWest Brom fans aren''t calling for Clarke''s head though are they ![/quote]

You miss my point entirely also, I''m calling for Hughtons head, like I said, I like the guy, just not his tactics, and could we be doing better? I don''t think it''s unreasonable to say yes. Who knows if we play open attacking football we might get slaughtered, but I''d rather we try for once, especially against teams like Hull. Also West Brom haven''t brought a club record signing striker and their main one didn''t play yesterday either. Atleast they have some sort of reason. Our reason is that our tactics weren''t right.

RC wrote:

You missed the point entirely.

Us and West Brom have both had pretty much the same amount of shots

West Brom fans aren''t calling for Clarke''s head though are they !

Of course not, but then they have not had to watch the negative defensive dross that city supporters have over the last season under Clarke.

Herman wrote the following post at 2013-08-25 6:54 PM:

Martin O''Neil WAS a good manager. Quite a few years ago now.

Sorry Herman, but of course you are right - he WAS a good manager - because at this moment in time he ain''t got a job, so he can''t be a current GOOD manager!

Not only does Martin O''Neil seem to have lost that spark he once had - perhaps once he realised he wasn''t destined for one of the big jobs e.g. Man Ure but I believe his wife suffers from poor health with a long-term illness which would almost certainly mean that he will not be returning to football management in the near future, if ever.  

Pedantry got the best of me.

To answer your question, read Barry''s reply. Spot on to me. He looked burnt out last time I saw. The months away from football may do him some good, but I am not convinced he is the answer.

O''Neil is unfortunately well past his best as a manager.

I suspect its mainly down to his enthusiasm not being the same since the already commented on illness of his wife.

Progressive young managers are the way ahead for me if we were to change at all.

Given the no. of injuries (Seb, pilks, hooper, snoddy not match fit) we have yesterday is not indicative of what our season will be like. As I have always said 10 games is the minimum at the start of a season. Judge where we are at that point once we have a couple of key players back and, almost certainly, the final signings in place.

Look at the impact Seb had when joining us after the season started last year. The poor cm passing and creativity should highlight where this signing should be this season.

[quote user="Green and Yellow fellow"]"Simply no. "

Twatish little comments like that add nothing to this post, it just makes you look like a stuck up ponce, needant of bothered wasting your energy.[/quote]

Not really - but take it that way if you like its no skin off my nose.

I missed the part of the forum rules where essays were required for any response or where insults were needed in a reply.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="Green and Yellow fellow"]"Simply no. "

Twatish little comments like that add nothing to this post, it just makes you look like a stuck up ponce, needant of bothered wasting your energy.[/quote]

Not really - but take it that way if you like its no skin off my nose.

I missed the part of the forum rules where essays were required for any response or where insults were needed in a reply.[/quote]

I was stating any rules, I was just doing you a favour if anything, by stopping you from wasting your time in the future.

A bit randomly I''ve got a contact at Sunderland.

While he hasn''t been sure on all of their summer signings he has said that PDC has got the squad considerably fitter than MON had them.