Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Lets get real...

... and look at the positives.  We''re all disappointed with the look of the performance, but........................

Redmond has great potential - and very nearly scored.  RVW has great technique - very nearly scored..   Fer very nearly scored with a header.   We got into some good positions and Howson had several strong shots.   Ruddy looked as secure as always.  The defence were not defeated - the penalty was soft.   Hull were not there for the taking, as some have suggested - they were determined and  were closing us down so quickly it made us look slow- but - the passing and understanding needs work - Fer was all over the place (in a good way) but that meant there were gaps and the shape wasn''t good some of the time.   So overall the performance didn''t look great - but there were some signs of  things to come.  We had several chances to score so it wasn''t as bad as some of the away games last season.   Certainly need to improve, but there were positives from today.

I admire your positivity, i really do. But im sorry today there were no positives, we lost to a newly promoted side that played 70 minutes with 10 men. Our passing was some of the worst i have seen and we were clueless going forwards. We move on now to Southampton and hopfully a much better perfomence. I''m afraid todays match is filed with Colchester, Fulham and Luton.

Wonder why we wasted 12m on Hooper and RvW, its not like they are going to get a chance to score when we play such god aweful tactics.I can still see the ghost of Lambo on the sides gesturing furiously for the team to push on.Fact: 3-1 Norwich today under Lamberts tactics ! And tbh its not bitterness at losing the bloke its bitterness at Houghton''s shitty tactics !!

I nearly won the lottery last week but I didn''t. Same the week before & the week before that. In fact, I''ve nearly won it  every week since it started.

I feel for the people who go away and watch the team. Its like a foregone conclusion. We''re all so optimistic before the game, we should know better

I''m afraid that today , Hull going down to 10 men panicked Hughton more than it did Hull. He didnt have a clue what to do,with who or when to try and make the advantage count for the rmaining 60 mins and seemed to spend the entire time discussing it with Trollope on the touchline for remainder of the game.

Being handed the initiative away from home as we were after the sending off and having so much possession is something completely alien to the way Hughton sets us up away, he simply didnt know what to do with it.

When I said those players very nearly scored it was to demonstrate that we did have chances to score today.  It wasn''t all doom and gloom.  Last season there were matches where we had practically no chances to score at all.

We were spoilt with Paul LambertNot sure at the time we knew how good the bloke wasBut he will surely be one of the greatest managers in the country in a few years.

Yes there were chances, its easy to forget now but we dominated the first 15 minutes and Fer really should have put us ahead after 3 minutes. Its just that the bad was so, so bad.

Struggled to pick out those positives - the togetherness the team and fans had under Lambert has gone. I had an awful Charlton feeling today Ruddy, v Wolfswinkel, Fer - they won''t be going down even if Norwich do.

I am struggling to see how we plan to create chances for v Wolfswinkel. If its playing through sides the passing and movement from the new players is still not up to it. If we are going to lob in high balls - we should have kept Grant.

Just hope passing improves as the new players bed in a little and begin to move of the ball to create options.

Did anyone else notice - Hull had a corner and 10 men. Hughton still gets all our players back. No leaving someone on the halfway line as a possible outlet. Last manager I can remember doing that was Nigel Worthington.

ReadingCanary wrote the following post

We were spoilt with Paul Lambert

Not sure at the time we knew how good the bloke was

But he will surely be one of the greatest managers in the country in a few years.

We were spoilt and it was great.

When they show the highlights on MOTD I think we will be surprised at how good we look with the chances we had.    They won''t show all the bad passing of course, but we did have chances.   

I''m certainly not one raving about Hughton out but I don''t see the point in trying to create non existant positives. Even the team of last season along with the tactics would have created a couple of opportunities against an average Hull side with 10 men.

We were very very poor and unbelievably predictable in every sense. Starting Howson on the right was a complete waste of Howsons abilities. Johnson and Tettey should never play alongside one another .

[quote user="hogesar"]I''m certainly not one raving about Hughton out but I don''t see the point in trying to create non existant positives. Even the team of last season along with the tactics would have created a couple of opportunities against an average Hull side with 10 men.

We were very very poor and unbelievably predictable in every sense. Starting Howson on the right was a complete waste of Howsons abilities. Johnson and Tettey should never play alongside one another .[/quote]

Most of the good chances we had were in the first fifteen minutes when it was 11 v 11.   11 v 10 can often be harder as the 10 men have a siege mentality. I''m not saying it was great,but we started the match well.

We started the match okay, nothing exceptional . Even then some of our passing was diabolical . You know its bad when Ruddy smacking the football into his own net in pure frustration when we''d barely played 35 minutes.

Yes LDC there were chances but none converted again and the fact we played so long against 10 men to only create a l handful of chances is really really poor!

RvW must be wondering what he is doing here!

Do you not agree we need a change of direction or do you believe we can go on as we are?

last years problems were blamed on not having good enough players to make the system work.

5 major additions and £20m + later what excuses do we have now?

Snake

Massive respect LDC if you are going to watch that on Match of the Day! Seeing it once was bad enough - I''ll find some solace with my good friend Mr Daniels instead.

I''m sorry LDC but even in the first 15 minutes we were creating less than Hull. Our midfield was confused, the defence was confused, I think we were confused - were we playing Man Utd or a newly promoted team? The forward was absent rather than confused. I enjoy your posts normally, but there was nothing positive about today LDC. Nothing at all.

[quote user="snake-eyes"]Yes LDC there were chances but none converted again and the fact we played so long against 10 men to only create a l handful of chances is really really poor!

RvW must be wondering what he is doing here!

Do you not agree we need a change of direction or do you believe we can go on as we are?

last years problems were blamed on not having good enough players to make the system work.

5 major additions and £20m + later what excuses do we have now?

Snake[/quote]

It was a grim watch but I think we have to be patient. It was only Fer''s first game in the premiership.   RVW still finding his feet too.   It struck me we needed a strong character out there - Bassong would do it, but  then we used to have Grant Holt who was a big character.  

Give it half a dozen games and see where we are then.   It took a few games to get things right last season - then we had a great run. 

[quote user="hogesar"]I''m certainly not one raving about Hughton out but I don''t see the point in trying to create non existant positives. Even the team of last season along with the tactics would have created a couple of opportunities against an average Hull side with 10 men.

We were very very poor and unbelievably predictable in every sense. Starting Howson on the right was a complete waste of Howsons abilities. Johnson and Tettey should never play alongside one another .[/quote]

Bingo. Hull (and in particular Tom Huddlestone) knew exactly what we were going to do every single time.

Great post.

Huddlestone was the best player on the pitch today by some margin. He''s often criticised for being slow but we were so predictable today he didn''t even need to run for the ball!i

[quote user="lake district canary"]When I said those players very nearly scored it was to demonstrate that we did have chances to score today. [/quote]But the point is despite having those chances we didn''t score and that''s what it''s all about.You get nowt for nearly scoring so it''s not a positive until somebody puts the bloody thing in the net.

Someone has it as a signature, and it is true. Sorry LDC but you really can''t polish a turd.

I really want to find the positives and look for excuses, yes Redmond looks a steal etc, yes we were playing against a side determined to defend, yes we have so many new players to bed in...But we talk about going to the next level, spend around £25 Million, far far more than ever before, we really should have shown we were a class above today but for me it was like last season with a few different names...time for a new tactic Mr Hughton!