Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

The wolf

I was thinking exactly that. He must be thinking great i dont even get a touch. He looks a finisher so lets try and supply him. Maybe better when hooper, snoddy and pilks are back.

The problem is further back.  Hopefully Fer will start in the holding two as other attacking players come back.  He can pass and burst forward, linking up better than Tettey, Johnson or the awful awful Howsoon can.

The issue here is obvious.Bennet out for the best part of the season, Pilkington not fit, Snodgrass only just fit. 3 of our more forward thinking midfielders who can take men on and create chances.Which is why we put out the midfield we did yesterday.

You talk as if he was forced to make the selection he did. He had options, but he chose the wrong one.

Fer could have sat in one of the holding midfielders role and Hoolahan could have sat behind the Wolf. Admittedly he was poor versus Everton, but you can''t dismiss someone with Wes'' talent on the back of one game, and it would have been more attacking.

Playing Howson on the wing was ridiculous, especially when we had Olsson on the bench. Elmander presented another option for the starting 11 that he chose to dismiss.

If injuries had forced him to pick yesterday''s starting 11 then I''d have accepted it. However, he had other options that he chose to ignore and as such, we were toothless and lacked any adventure of ambition.

I was a Hughton fan last year and agreed that the defensive approach was the best way to keep is in the league. However, we have moved on from last year and signed better quality players. I''m not sure Hughton''s approach will bring out anything like the best in the likes of Ricky, Fer and Redmond.

At this rate, I think RVW will ask for a transfer in January.He was reported as saying Norwich were going to buy two new wide men and an attacking midfielder this summer.  He cited this as a reason for joining Norwich. Instead we have only purchased Redmond, who has yet to discover that a winger''s job is provide service to the strikers.  RVW must feel duped.

[quote user="canarydan23"]You talk as if he was forced to make the selection he did. He had options, but he chose the wrong one.

Fer could have sat in one of the holding midfielders role and Hoolahan could have sat behind the Wolf. Admittedly he was poor versus Everton, but you can''t dismiss someone with Wes'' talent on the back of one game, and it would have been more attacking.

Playing Howson on the wing was ridiculous, especially when we had Olsson on the bench. Elmander presented another option for the starting 11 that he chose to dismiss.

If injuries had forced him to pick yesterday''s starting 11 then I''d have accepted it. However, he had other options that he chose to ignore and as such, we were toothless and lacked any adventure of ambition.

I was a Hughton fan last year and agreed that the defensive approach was the best way to keep is in the league. However, we have moved on from last year and signed better quality players. I''m not sure Hughton''s approach will bring out anything like the best in the likes of Ricky, Fer and Redmond.[/quote]I agree re Howson.Do we know how fully fit Olsson and Elmander actually are though?Redmond not reaching the level he did last week didn''t help either.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]At this rate, I think RVW will ask for a transfer in January.He was reported as saying Norwich were going to buy two new wide men and an attacking midfielder this summer.  He cited this as a reason for joining Norwich. Instead we have only purchased Redmond, who has yet to discover that a winger''s job is provide service to the strikers.  RVW must feel duped.[/quote]The window is still open, is it not?

-- morty: Bennet out for the best part of the season, Pilkington not fit, Snodgrass only just fit. 3 of our more forward thinking midfielders who can take men on and create chances

So why not start Olsson on the left, Redmond on the right, Howson in the hole behind the striker and Fer and BJ in central midfield. We do of course have a very strong squad right now.

One of the most embarrassing moments yesterday came when Howson for some reason had been assigned the task of defensive midfieder, Tettey had been asked to play further forward and Fer was playing right up next to the striker.

Surprise surprise, when Fer dropped back, and Howson was pushed forward they both looked better players.

Why oh why we would go to Hull and play three defensive central midfielders is a mystery. It is like we were setting up for a game at the Bernabéu... I woudn''t mind if these uber-defensive away tactics were proving effective, but they aren''t.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]-- morty: Bennet out for the best part of the season, Pilkington not fit, Snodgrass only just fit. 3 of our more forward thinking midfielders who can take men on and create chances

So why not start Olsson on the left, Redmond on the right, Howson in the hole behind the striker and Fer and BJ in central midfield. We do of course have a very strong squad right now.

One of the most embarrassing moments yesterday came when Howson for some reason had been assigned the task of defensive midfieder, Tettey had been asked to play further forward and Fer was playing right up next to the striker.

Surprise surprise, when Fer dropped back, and Howson was pushed forward they both looked better players.

Why oh why we would go to Hull and play three defensive central midfielders is a mystery. It is like we were setting up for a game at the Bernabéu... I woudn''t mind if these uber-defensive away tactics were proving effective, but they aren''t.[/quote]Did you read the bit I said about Olsson?

-- morty: Did you read the bit I said about Olsson?

Might not be 200% fit or some BS. I just don''t believe it sadly. The setup yesterday was a massive reminder of the yellowbelly squad at Stoke Away last season. Hughton is now even trying to fit a defensive central midfielder in the hole behind the striker. I am sure the versatile Fer is capable of "doing a job" there, but that is a far cry from it being his natural position or even the position he is most effective.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]-- morty: Did you read the bit I said about Olsson?

Might not be 200% fit or some BS. I just don''t believe it sadly. The setup yesterday was a massive reminder of the yellowbelly squad at Stoke Away last season. Hughton is now even trying to fit a defensive central midfielder in the hole behind the striker. I am sure the versatile Fer is capable of "doing a job" there, but that is a far cry from it being his natural position or even the position he is most effective.[/quote]Ah right.Yeah its easier to just assume Hughton is an idiot, and deliberately picked the wrong team, isn''t it?You done much managing of a football team?

-- morty: Yeah its easier to just assume Hughton is an idiot, and deliberately picked the wrong team, isn''t it?

I never said that. Noone is accusing Roeder of ''deliberately picking the wrong team''. But it was his crap team selection. Playing for the 0-0 at the KC Stadium.

-- morty: You done much managing of a football team?

Well done in bring up a Glenn Roederism... He certainly proved his point with his successful tenure at the club. I am not sure it proves yours.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]-- morty: Did you read the bit I said about Olsson?

Might not be 200% fit or some BS. I just don''t believe it sadly. The setup yesterday was a massive reminder of the yellowbelly squad at Stoke Away last season. Hughton is now even trying to fit a defensive central midfielder in the hole behind the striker. I am sure the versatile Fer is capable of "doing a job" there, but that is a far cry from it being his natural position or even the position he is most effective.[/quote]Ah right.Yeah its easier to just assume Hughton is an idiot, and deliberately picked the wrong team, isn''t it?You done much managing of a football team?[/quote]based on yesterday i find it very easy to assume hughton is an idiot [:D]

Only if he''s truly unprofessional. Nothing in the player''s history to suggest he is.Norwich HAVE signed two new wide men (Olsson and Redmond) and an attacking midfielder (Fer) this summer.Redmond has had a reasonable two games. He''s also 19 and rapidly improving!Is it going to be like this every time we lose a game?[quote user="Pyro Pete"]At this rate, I think RVW will ask for a transfer in January.He was reported as saying Norwich were going to buy two new wide men and an attacking midfielder this summer.  He cited this as a reason for joining Norwich. Instead we have only purchased Redmond, who has yet to discover that a winger''s job is provide service to the strikers.  RVW must feel duped.[/quote]

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]-- morty: Yeah its easier to just assume Hughton is an idiot, and deliberately picked the wrong team, isn''t it?

I never said that. Noone is accusing Roeder of ''deliberately picking the wrong team''. But it was his crap team selection. Playing for the 0-0 at the KC Stadium.

-- morty: You done much managing of a football team?

Well done in bring up a Glenn Roederism... He certainly proved his point with his successful tenure at the club. I am not sure it proves yours.[/quote]You implied it, and you know you did.So you know he actually went there to play for nil-nil then do you?Nutty was right, one iffy result and the same people will be moaning the same moans as they did last season.

Totally agree with canarydan23

It was a frustrating and confusing formation to start with considering what options we did have. I don''t think even the players exactly knew what their roles were which resulted in such a disjointed performance.

Did anyone noticed how relieved Fer was when he finally moved back into the middle of the park. Why oh why C.H thinks Fer can play that no.10 role. Fer needs to play in the middle of the park, simple as that. Who watched him play in the under 21 euros? He has pace, power and drive which is why we bought him. But why choose to play him totally out of position when we have other options available ( ie Wes, Redmond, Howson)

I felt so sorry for RVW. He looked fed up towards the end, and who can blame him. I lost track with the amount of intelligent runs he was making but time after time we chose to pass inside or go back and start again. Are speed of thought in the final third was seriously lacking yesterday.

If we can just provide him with a little bit of quality he has shown what a lethal finisher he is.

Howson is another one who is being played out of position. He'' come under a lot of criticism but he needs to be played further up the pitch or there''s no point in playing him. A good friend of mine follows Leeds home and away. When we signed him, he said that he needs to play either at the front of a diamond or behind a lone striker. Anywhere else and he''s totally ineffective. The times he''s been given that free role performances have significantly improved. Think of Arsenal and Spurs away under Lambert, the last 20 mins against W.B.A last season and Man City away. Really really frustrating.

Hopefully C.H will realise he got it wrong. We need a good performance and 3 points to back it up next week. I feel if we produce what we did yesterday, then there will be some serious questions that C.H will have to answer for.

-- morty: So you know he actually went there to play for nil-nil then do you?

That has been the away tactic for the last 12 months. £25m spent and the same negative cautious defensive football remains. No wonder we had the worst record against the bottom half in the league last season. Lets hope our record against the top half holds up or we could be in real trouble this season.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]-- morty: So you know he actually went there to play for nil-nil then do you?

That has been the away tactic for the last 12 months. £25m spent and the same negative cautious defensive football remains. No wonder we had the worst record against the bottom half in the league last season. Lets hope our record against the top half holds up or we could be in real trouble this season.[/quote]So you don''t buy into the philosophy of winning your home games and drawing away, as a recipe for survival then?Has Hughton actually been able to pick his first choice team yet?Again, I shall point to losing Bennet, Snoddy and Pilkington not being fully fit, and the readiness of Olssen for first team football being unknown. Elmander has just joined, we know nothing of what pre season he had (I liked the look of him yesterday though)I am firmly in the "Lets wait and see a bit" camp frankly.

--- morty: I am firmly in the "Lets wait and see a bit" camp frankly.

Same here, but it is not looking great given these first two performances. Seeing the team sheet for the game yesterday was very disappointing.

---- morty: So you don''t buy into the philosophy of winning your home games and drawing away, as a recipe for survival then?

I don''t buy into uber-negative away tactics that don''t work. The only two sides with a worse away record last season got relegated. The only wins last season were bizarre games away at Swansea and Man City. And we did our best to throw away the Swansea result.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]--- morty: I am firmly in the "Lets wait and see a bit" camp frankly.

Same here, but it is not looking great given these first two performances. Seeing the team sheet for the game yesterday was very disappointing.

---- morty: So you don''t buy into the philosophy of winning your home games and drawing away, as a recipe for survival then?

I don''t buy into uber-negative away tactics that don''t work. The only two sides with a worse away record last season got relegated. The only wins last season were bizarre games away at Swansea and Man City. And we did our best to throw away the Swansea result.[/quote]But you know and understand the reasons why he had to put the team out that he did yesterday, other than my assumption about Olssens readiness (And Elmanders for that matter) the team was pretty much forced upon him.I would bet most of my teeth that had Bennet been fit he would have started yesterday.But we didn''t get relegated, did we? And can I just point out that we could have lost those two away games, and still stayed up.

Love the comments that there are players on the bench that are not fit enough! If they truly were not fit enough they shouldn''t have been on the bench, and if that is the case it''s bloody poor management to have 3 players who are unfit on the bench. Ridiculous comments, if they are fit enough for the bench then they are fit eought to start the match, Snodgrass was deemed fit enough to play 45 so why not start him, have a more balanced team and sub him in the 2nd half if he tires?

I''m sorry to keep bringing him up but...Grant Holt.He didnt get much service from midfield last year and still scored 8 goals! We''ve signed a quality striker in RvW (whenever he gets a chance he looks like scoring!) yet just like Holty last year he isnt getting any decent help from midfield...

[quote user="JF"]Love the comments that there are players on the bench that are not fit enough! If they truly were not fit enough they shouldn''t have been on the bench, and if that is the case it''s bloody poor management to have 3 players who are unfit on the bench. Ridiculous comments, if they are fit enough for the bench then they are fit eought to start the match, Snodgrass was deemed fit enough to play 45 so why not start him, have a more balanced team and sub him in the 2nd half if he tires?[/quote]Rubbish.

--- morty: But we didn''t get relegated, did we? And can I just point out that we could have lost those two away games, and still stayed up.

Absolutely, we didn''t get relegated, but we have won 3 games in 2013. Two against teams on the beach because their season was effectively over. Hughton needs to sort that out quickly or we are going to be in real trouble. Sadly those with blinkers on fail to see the danger. More fool them and us.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]--- morty: But we didn''t get relegated, did we? And can I just point out that we could have lost those two away games, and still stayed up.

Absolutely, we didn''t get relegated, but we have won 3 games in 2013. Two against teams on the beach because their season was effectively over. Hughton needs to sort that out quickly or we are going to be in real trouble. Sadly those with blinkers on fail to see the danger. More fool them and us.[/quote]But we didn''t get relegated is kind of the most important point.And we got a load more money, and have spent 25 million of it.Quote stats all you like, but like I said I am firmly in the wait and see camp.Obviously if in ten games, if things haven''t improved, I will want to know why not. But did you seriously expect us to turn into worldbeaters overnight, just because we bought a few players?

If you say so Morty, so you think it''s good management to play a completely unbalanced team and your reasoning for this is that we had 3 players on the bench that were unfit? Why were they on the bench if they are so unfit? Leaves us very short of options if thats the case! It''s nonsense, they looked plenty fit enough when they came on. Snodgrass should have started and been subbed after 70 if he was tiring.

-- morty - Obviously if in ten games, if things haven''t improved, I will want to know why not. But did you seriously expect us to turn into worldbeaters overnight, just because we bought a few players?

No, but I expect us to be able to create chances against a 10 man Hull side. It is not even like we missed opportunities.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]-- morty - Obviously if in ten games, if things haven''t improved, I will want to know why not. But did you seriously expect us to turn into worldbeaters overnight, just because we bought a few players?

No, but I expect us to be able to create chances against a 10 man Hull side. It is not even like we missed opportunities.[/quote]Have you watched the highlights on MOTD?I think you''ll find we had more chances than you remember.

So we spend £25m add it to a squad that finished 11th a couple of injuries against a 10 man newly promoted Hull side and that is the accepacceptable reason for yesterday''s shocking debacle?

Really???