Sign in to follow this  
ur just a man in a jacket

My chat with Turner today

Sorry I don''t think I''ve dug myself a hole - I''ve voiced an opinion and I know it is just that, an opinion. I concede it might not be correct but I prefer Bennet to Turner. Simple as that really.

[quote user="Stig"]This is what I mean though, I don''t disagree that Turner has those qualities and uses them to his advantage - I just think Bennet has that as well and has more imagination to his play. Turner is happy to do his job as a CB but Bennet looks to impose himself on the game and plays as such.[/quote]

What imagination?

Bennett has basically got two passes. The safe sideways or the long diagonal that sometimes finds its mark.

I think you''re clutching at straws.

Having a conversation with my brother yesterday that I think summed up Turner. He has all the attributes of a great center back - composed under pressure, reads the game well enough to position himself well for what is going on around him, athletic enough that coupled with his positioning doesn''t get caught out too much, puts in a good challenge... All of this 90% of the time.  Then one time in ten something will happen. He won''t track a man running (that flick they had yesterday, was that his man?) or will get caught dallying somewhere completely out of position.Another point raised was when a ball comes overhead, and Turner is under it - a small part of you worries. Worries it may bounce and he will bring them down, or something crazy like it hits his shin pad and puts the player through. There is always that nag in the back of your head.Maybe when playing alongside less established CB''s his over-thinking and the other CB lead to him looking like the bad one, when he is simply covering for their inefficiencies.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Stig"]and there isn''t so much to split them so a fair rotation could work.[/quote]

There is a lot between them.

I would prefer not to rotate defenders just to give people a chance. Turner and Bassong are our best defenders and the more they play together the stronger that partnership becomes.

[/quote]

As much as I''d rather we start to see Bennett play to return the sum we paid for him. I have to agree that the centre of defence is the one part of a team that shouldn''t be messed with, and rotated.

Shame for the lad though because we need him as cover right now as he really isnt the same standard as Turner and Bassong, but he really would benefit from going out on loan.

[quote user="Stig"]Sorry I don''t think I''ve dug myself a hole - I''ve voiced an opinion and I know it is just that, an opinion. I concede it might not be correct but I prefer Bennet to Turner. Simple as that really.[/quote]so why, when you accept your opinion may be wrong anyway, does it make it okay to walk up to a stranger in a park and say he should be dropped from the football team you support? what positive result do you expect to come of this?

Kolin, as is the case with the other thread we conversed in - my tongue was placed firmly in cheek and I have no ill will or malice aimed at Turner. If he''s playing well I obviously don''t want him out of the team for the good of the club....

May I add turner was a true gent and his mrs who is pregnant was very pleasant too. There are plenty of footballers who don''t have time for people let alone fans.

If anyone was interested it was hethersett park - recently seems a magnet for our players!

[quote user="Grant Holt''s 3 year contract"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]Saw Tettey in Longwater Sainsburys today. Cheeky beggar just ignored me.Did he try and walk forward but find himself complete incapble of doing so?[/quote]I was there as well, so I can confirm what happened next:He

suddenly realised he had forgotten his scotch egg, so dropped deep back

to the first aisle to retrieve it.  Upon which, a  young assistant

remembered that Mr Tetty was after a tasty scotch egg, and very gently

threw his tasty spherical treat towards him, which he promptly tried to

control, and skyed the poor unfortunate scotch egg into the nearest Asda

carpark.

If I ever had the good fortune of bumping into a member of the starting 11-or even a bench rider- I''d just tell them that I am a fan of their contribution and ask them for a picture.

[quote user="JayNCFC"]Having a conversation with my brother yesterday that I think summed up Turner. He has all the attributes of a great center back - composed under pressure, reads the game well enough to position himself well for what is going on around him, athletic enough that coupled with his positioning doesn''t get caught out too much, puts in a good challenge... All of this 90% of the time.  Then one time in ten something will happen. He won''t track a man running (that flick they had yesterday, was that his man?) or will get caught dallying somewhere completely out of position.Another point raised was when a ball comes overhead, and Turner is under it - a small part of you worries. Worries it may bounce and he will bring them down, or something crazy like it hits his shin pad and puts the player through. There is always that nag in the back of your head.Maybe when playing alongside less established CB''s his over-thinking and the other CB lead to him looking like the bad one, when he is simply covering for their inefficiencies. [/quote]

Add in his propensity to grab forwards as in the penalty yesterday and his ridiculous holding of Anchibe right in front of the referee in injury time against Everton and you have the true Turner.

Turner is the Doc of our times and we love him and worry about him for the same reasons we loved and worried about the Doc. Turner is a huge upgrade obviously but the essence is there. That is why he is controversial.