Sign in to follow this  
ur just a man in a jacket

My chat with Turner today

Just took my son to the park and the only other person (with his wife and dog) was Michael Turner. After he laughed at me being hauled down the slide by my son

I thought it was my chance to say it wasn''t a pen yesterday and a little chat about the match.

One thing from our 5 minute chat was he (and his mrs) REALLY don''t like his song! I did say it was tongue in cheek!!

If you see him again, politely tell him that I would rather see Bennet in his place. No offence to the man, just not crazy about him.

[quote user="Stig"]If you see him again, politely tell him that I would rather see Bennet in his place. No offence to the man, just not crazy about him.[/quote]honestly, do you think that''s the best way to support our players? by walking up to them, as complete strangers, and telling them they shouldn''t be playing?how is that done politely? in what way is he not supposed to take offence?

[quote user="Stig"]If you see him again, politely tell him that I would rather see Bennet in his place. No offence to the man, just not crazy about him.[/quote]

If you were to say that he would basically know you don''t really know what you''re talking about because Turner is much better than Bennett.

[quote user="Stig"]If you see him again, politely tell him that I would rather see Bennet in his place. No offence to the man, just not crazy about him.[/quote]With respect, perhaps you should tell him that to his face yourself.

I''ll unfortunately never likely see the bloke :( Just thought maybe OP could. Alright, he''s not overly bad but he isn''t great is he? If he was that song would never have been invented, right? When Bennet plays he usually comes with comments like "Bennet was a rock today!" But when was the last time Turner was a rock?

[quote user="Stig"]I''ll unfortunately never likely see the bloke :( Just thought maybe OP could. Alright, he''s not overly bad but he isn''t great is he? If he was that song would never have been invented, right? When Bennet plays he usually comes with comments like "Bennet was a rock today!" But when was the last time Turner was a rock?[/quote]

I don''t think I''ve ever seen Bennett be a "rock" in the good sense. I''ve seen Turner be immense for us, outstanding performances against Utd and Arsenal etc. Generally very good for all of last season.

Bennett had 2 or 3 alright games towards the end of last season which were a bit overrated.

Had he have been as good as people made out then why is Martin playing at centreback in Bassong''s absence? If Bennett is/was so outstandingly good he''d be in the team, not Martin.

Quite simply, Turner and Bassong are by some distance the best centrebacks at the club. Summed up by their respective player of the season awards.

Okay I admit to a bit of disservice on turners behalf but believe the only reason Martin is currently at CB is because he asked to be given a go and he deserves that much as he is brilliant for us. However, starting from now if Bassong isn''t back I would have Turner-Bennet as CB''s. and then Bennet-Bassong. That is just my opinion, and there isn''t so much to split them so a fair rotation could work.

[quote user="Stig"]and there isn''t so much to split them so a fair rotation could work.[/quote]

There is a lot between them.

I would prefer not to rotate defenders just to give people a chance. Turner and Bassong are our best defenders and the more they play together the stronger that partnership becomes.

"But when was the last time Turner was a rock?"

Pretty much the entire run in. He was the best defender and played better than Bassong in the last few games (in Bassongs defence we now know he was injured), but it''s all opinion.

When Martin lost the ball cheaply yesterday and Turner was left one on and cooly won the ball with a Cruyff turn he reminded me yet again what a good player he is. The penalty was soft as hell and other than that he was one of the few players yesterday who did little wrong imo.

But Bassong isn''t playing at the moment and Bennet is good for us, Turner is better with Bassong but nothing outstanding by himself. So both or Bennet if Hughton insists on Martin.

Woah woah, are you saying Turner is better than Martin at CB AND RB, or just CB? ''Cos I''ve got to say Martin is a great RB

Please explain to me the errors Turner has made in the last two games playing without Bassong that justify his replacement?

Martin is also more like Bassong in his style of play, comfortable on the ball and happy to burst forward from CB so compliments Turner who''s not the greatest with the ball at his feet.

To me theres no reason Turner should be dropped for Bennett, he''s the better defender and has proved that consistently last year.

[quote user="Stig"]Woah woah, are you saying Turner is better than Martin at CB AND RB, or just CB? ''Cos I''ve got to say Martin is a great RB[/quote]

No. Turner is a great CB, much better than Martin.

I wouldn''t fancy him at RB though.

Martin is a good RB by our standards. Not a "great" one though.

[quote user="Stig"]Woah woah, are you saying Turner is better than Martin at CB AND RB, or just CB? ''Cos I''ve got to say Martin is a great RB[/quote]

Turner is a better centre half. But here lies a common problem among some city fans, Martin a "great" RB? Give it a rest. He''s a below average full back at this level but gets by with his work rate and desire.

[quote user="Grant Holt''s 3 year contract"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]Saw Tettey in Longwater Sainsburys today. Cheeky beggar just ignored me.[/quote]Did he try and walk forward but find himself complete incapble of doing so?

Unlike the rest of us, does tettey start walking straight after too many beers?

I beg your pardon I didn''t mean to imply he was an ''error'' prone player. Comfort and ball placement and ideas was what I was getting at. I feel Bennet has more confidence in himself which leads to more confident play all around.

I''m sorry I don''t agree Stig, Turner doesn''t look the sort of player to me who doesn''t have confidence in himself, certainly Bennett doesn''t strike me as a player notably more confident than him.

Turner throws himself into challenges (and goes to ground a lot!) full of certainty he will win the ball and more often than not he does, you don''t do that, or the aforementioned Cruyff turn under pressure to win the ball, unless you have massive confidence in your own abilities as a defender.

"Comfort and ball placement and ideas was what I was getting at" - I''m afraid you will have to expand as I don''t understand what you mean?

This is what I mean though, I don''t disagree that Turner has those qualities and uses them to his advantage - I just think Bennet has that as well and has more imagination to his play. Turner is happy to do his job as a CB but Bennet looks to impose himself on the game and plays as such.

I''m sorry Stig I personally have never seen Bennett impose himself on a game other than in his defensive role.

If he really, obviously, had that to his game you''d imagine we wouldn''t be having this debate as he would be chosen ahead of Turner.

That hole you are digging is getting bigger by the minute Stig.

Let''s just agree Turner is far better than Bennett at the moment and is a good player who makes few mistakes and that Bennett could become a very good centre back in the future.