Sign in to follow this  
CDMullins

Neither a Pant Wetter nor a Happy Clapper

So here''s my belated thoughts on Saturday.

Firstly I''ve never been critical of Hughton and don''t mind his defensive philosophy one bit, however I was extremely suprised to see BJ and Tettey starting together, I was even more shocked and dissapointed to see Hoswon starting on the right wing.

The penalty incident although it looked soft was completely avoidable, No reason for Turner to be all over Sagbo as he was never going to get to the ball.

Not seen any of the highlights, so still unsure as to the sending off.

Both Full backs were very poor, both were beat easily and offered nothing going forward.

I am BJ fan, but Saturday he was woeful. not suprised to see him dragged off at HT it was completely the right decision by Hughton.

Tettey offered nothing in an attacking sense, people have likend his passing stats to Xavi, no disrespect to the NCFC boys, but Tetteys not passing the ball to Messi.

Snodgrass was the worst ive ever seen him, he let his slanging match with Figueroa and the Hull fans get on top of him. He didnt once beat Figuroa or get the ball into the box.

Redmond was a thorn in Hull sides, they really couldnt get to grips with him at all. I suspect he is a little short on confidence, after his bad couple of efforts on goal, he resorted to passing (and poorly) rather than having a go on goal. The boy is going to be a diamond and I was dissapointed to see him go off, certainally for Wes, who the less said about, is better.

Howson along with Fer, show glimpse of brilliance, but unfortunately just not enough. Howson was our most positive and productive player and was unlucky with a couple of longer efforts. Fer looked strong and composed. Like Redmond he will come good. I really Hope Hughton doesnt use Howson as a utility man, I want to see him playing in that No.10 role week in week out. Until we sign a real quality player to sit in there.

RVW, feel for the lad, feeding off scraps again. unlucky with an header, he looks sharp and alert and makes some good runs. I have every confidence that should he be supplied, he will score goals.

By far the best 3 performances on the pitch came from Hull, Livermore, Davies and in particularly Huddlestone were awesome. Huddlestone looked like he was carrying abit of extra weight but dominated the centre of the park without breaking sweat, he sat deep, leaving Livermore to do the donkey work, yet nearly all of there attacks were started by him.

Was pleased to see Hughton had made all 3 subs by the 70th minute. The boys didnt stop going until the 94th minute but ran out of ideas. My gut feeling is telling me it was ''one of them days'' and one of the ''10 men excel'' cliche days.

Im still very much behind Hughton, but was very dissapointed with how he set up and his team selection.

Id like to see our ''first 11'' play against Bury to gain some confidence to take into the Sothampton match

Brilliant post, I would have to say that I disagree with your assessment of Whittaker. For me he was good defensively and offers a lot going forward.

This is the first post Hull thread I can fully agree with. Spot on.

Also is it me or did Ruddy not look his normal confident self? Not that he had too much to do but just his demeanor and kicks straight to the orange shirts or out of the park.

[quote user="JayNCFC"]Brilliant post, I would have to say that I disagree with your assessment of Whittaker. For me he was good defensively and offers a lot going forward. [/quote]

Generally I think he does, look at last Saturday,

However his crossing, passing and dead balls were poor at Hull

Good balanced post buddy. I don''t agree about the full backs. Particularly Garrido who gave RVW the only decent service he had all game.

I thought Snodgrass looked unfit when he came on which may explain why he didn''t start. However I starting a half fit Snoddy would have been more effective on the right than Howson. Or Putting Redmond on the right and starting Ollson. Then we could have seen Howson in the centre with Tetty or BJ. What we started with was a real dogs dinner of a midfield which frustrated many of us and set the pattern for a terrible first half.

[quote user="TexasCanary"]This is the first post Hull thread I can fully agree with. Spot on.

Also is it me or did Ruddy not look his normal confident self? Not that he had too much to do but just his demeanor and kicks straight to the orange shirts or out of the park.[/quote]

He looked deflated after the goal, but so too were the fans. I usually love how the NCFC fans burst into OTBC when well conceed, but we didnt Saturday.

CDMullins,

This is the best assessment I''ve read amongst those that were posted. I was astounded by the BJ performance, he was cr@p. I think we need to play our wingers on the wings , Redmond and Snodgrass. Howson isn''t a winger imo. GHave to say Garrido was half decent imo. Let''s learn from this no show!

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="lincoln canary"]"Wes, the less said the better"

Predictable. If your going to post what appears to be decent analysis you need to drop your obsevive dislike of Hoolahan.[/quote]

Obsessive. iPhone.[/quote]Do you think Hoolahan brought much to the game then>

Wes did nothing, we were crying out for some width, and he was brought on in the left wing position. He immediately drifted across as always, to the overloaded centre. It is why he should never play on the left wing. Tactically, it was a poor substitution from Hughton, even if I can understand why he would have wanted him on the pitch.

Leaving my little Wed bias aside, what would you have said about his impact on Saturday?

He was stuck out on the left wing, somewhere we know he cant play and somewhere he hasnt played since the dark Glenn Roeder days.

I dont think that you can argue that he had no impact at all on the game. We have out grown Wes Hoolahan

We haven''t outgrown him. He still has a part to play. He just needs to be played in his best position.

[quote user="Herman "]We haven''t outgrown him. He still has a part to play. He just needs to be played in his best position.[/quote]At the tip of the diamond?That we don''t play any more?

to be honest none of the subs brought anything to the game - even though all three were probably the right ones.

Snoddy is clearly unfit and did not add a meaningful contribution with no successful crosses from 6, although it allowed him to push howson central who improved from being on the right (but like themost of teh team was unable to make a successful pass in the final third)

Elmander was put in the centre which was already over crowded he looked neat and tidy but was no more able to create an opening than tettey who he replaced

Wes was sent on wide left which does not suit his play so drifted to the aforementioned overcrowded central (as redmond had) (perhaps elmander right and snoddy left with wes central was the call - or ollson left for redmond - easy with hindsight) but he was more involved in the game than either snodgrass or elmander and managed a (weak) shot.

Balance is needed - we lacked intelligence in our passing and movement and that applied to the whole outfield players. Wes was not different to them

[quote user="Herman "]We haven''t outgrown him. He still has a part to play. He just needs to be played in his best position.[/quote]

Agreed...........inside left out!

Under normal circumstances, I''d agree that grumbling about one defeat two games into the season is a bit counter productive (though I find this term "pant wetter" both childish and demeaning) . The trouble is that the performance at the KC was all too reminiscent of some of the more abject of the no shows of last season which, lest we forget , almost ended in disaster.

Some of the regulars on here appear to regard Hughton as untouchable, but to my mind, its perfectly acceptable to lambast a selection, set of tactics, and performance as poor as Saturday''s. The fact that we scarcely troubled a 10 man newly promoted team does not augur well, but, for the time being at least I''m happy to cut CH some slack, in the hope that he does see the light and use the lavish acquisitions made over the summer to better effect.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Under normal circumstances, I''d agree that grumbling about one defeat two games into the season is a bit counter productive (though I find this term "pant wetter" both childish and demeaning) . The trouble is that the performance at the KC was all too reminiscent of some of the more abject of the no shows of last season which, lest we forget , almost ended in disaster.

Some of the regulars on here appear to regard Hughton as untouchable, but to my mind, its perfectly acceptable to lambast a selection, set of tactics, and performance as poor as Saturday''s. The fact that we scarcely troubled a 10 man newly promoted team does not augur well, but, for the time being at least I''m happy to cut CH some slack, in the hope that he does see the light and use the lavish acquisitions made over the summer to better effect.[/quote]Did it almost end in disaster though? Really?Frankly the notion that we flirted with relegation for the whole season does not bear up to actual, factual scrutiny.The phrase "Pant wetters" was pretty much coined for this reason, people who were flapping like kippers, for no actual reason.

Well Morty, I''d say that relying on two wins in the last 2 games against sides that were already on the beach to scrape together enough points to stay up was ,at the very least, flirting with disater, wouldn''t you ?

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Well Morty, I''d say that relying on two wins in the last 2 games against sides that were already on the beach to scrape together enough points to stay up was ,at the very least, flirting with disater, wouldn''t you ?[/quote]I think you''ll find, if you do your sums, we could have lost those two games, and still stayed up[Y]

The season ended with us finishing 5 points away from 17th, but 5 points away from 8th, something the ''Hughton Out'' Brigade alwaysfail to mention.

A very balanced and sensible OP.

Like most of the travelling support, I was disappointed on Saturday, particularly with some sloppy passing and the lack of threat that we possessed. To be honest though, none of us are certain as to the circumstances of selection. Snodgrass did not seem fully fit to me, and I suspect that CH''s view was that Howson was the best option. As for those that advocate 4-4-2 as a regular starting line up, I can''t help feeling that they are living in a time warp.

Clearly Saturday was disappointing and unsatisfactory but some of the response is clearly an over reaction. Things take time: of our three most expensive signings, two are adapting to PL football (RVW and Fer) whilst the other has yet to appear. I recognise that the concern expressed is as a result of a deep love for the club, but perhaps we need to be a little more patient and mature in our consideration rather than panicking at early difficulties in integrating a lot of new players?

As I said, CDM, I''m not advocating "Hughton Out". Yet. Things have to be given time to succeed . The only point I''m making is that there are significant numbers of us who see the whole setup on Saturday as a blast from the past, and not in any way progressive. In which case future success is hard to predict. Of course Morty is mathematically correct, but, equally it would have only taken 3 results to go differently for us to go down.