Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Easy solutions?

Lots of understandable complaints about Saturday -  maybe easy to  resolve some of the issues though?

Redmond - told to cross sometimes, mix it up a bit.Howson and Fer - when one goes forward the other stays back. Snodgrass or whoever is to play right - cross the ball early and at every opportunity.RVW - keep making those runs, the wide players will cross the ball more.Defenders - get forward whenever possible and cross at the earliest opportunity.Elmander or Hoolahan or whoever is behind RVW - high energy, pass/cross the ball earlier.  If Johnson or Tettey play - play simple passes and make sure they are accurate.Finally - be positive.

I''m no expert but at a guess this might be what the manager might say - even the last one.   Anyone add to/change that?

I''d agree with pretty well all of that Lake District.

The main drawback with all of them is that they are not the sort of phrases or instructions that anyone could imagine emanating from Hughton or Calderwood''s mouth. For example to Redmond, his idea of "mixing it up a bit" is tracking back and only going over the halfway line if all else fails. To Snoddy ; keep it tight, and do not under any circumstances lose posession by crossing the ball. To Wes/Elmander ; play it deep and stop the opposition from getting a sniff. And so on.

Sorry -Redmond tracking back??? Do you watch the same game I do, because I would say that defensively Redmond is really not tracking back?? In fact I think that''s why Garrido is struggling?

However, easier to invent stuff to meet your agenda I guess?

Precisely the point I was making, Killie. There was a little sarcasm in my posting. Obviously you missed it. To be clear, I was suggesting, lightheartedly, that CH''s instructions to Redmond will soon no doubt be "no more of this chasing forward stuff, young man. Defensive duties come first ".

[quote user="Vanwink"]RVP needs balls threaded through for him to run on to.[/quote]

I wouldn''t mind a little bet that RVW will score more goals from balls crossed into the box than from balls threaded through. That''s why the wide players are so important. Didn''t RVW state the intention of playing wingers and signing new ones a reason for him signing?

The key is that we have to pass the ball more quickly. RvW and also Hooper thrive off being played in behind the defence to take the keeper on but we hold the ball in midfield for so long that the opposition are back in numbers before it''s anywhere near the striker(s). Snodgrass and Hoolahan are especially guilty of keeping the ball far too long. From Hughton''s point of view he needs to let the midfielders bomb on and join in too. Fer and Howson are both capable of breaking swiftly and decisively to join the attack if only they could be unshackled occasionally.

[quote user="Canary02 IV"]The key is that we have to pass the ball more quickly. RvW and also Hooper thrive off being played in behind the defence to take the keeper on but we hold the ball in midfield for so long that the opposition are back in numbers before it''s anywhere near the striker(s). Snodgrass and Hoolahan are especially guilty of keeping the ball far too long. From Hughton''s point of view he needs to let the midfielders bomb on and join in too. Fer and Howson are both capable of breaking swiftly and decisively to join the attack if only they could be unshackled occasionally.[/quote]

From what I saw  on Saturday, Howson got forward quite well and got in some good shooting positions which would suggest he is already unshackled.   For me is the issue of his partnership with Fer - one moving forward while the other covers.   I think this could be the key partnership in this year.      As for Hoolahan and Snodgrass I tend to agree.   Elmander may be a better bet this season than Hoolahan, but maybe Hooper will play off the front man.  Who knows,.   Saturday was undoubtedly not good, but if you have Tettey and Johnson in there, you are going to be limited in your passing potential. 

Just hope Saturday is more encouraging.

Howson came alive after Snoddy took over at right wing and he was able to play attacking midfield in the second half. I don''t agree with those that say he''s our answer at no 10 but as the breaking midfielder to join in with a no 10, he''s perfect. On Sat, he seemed to become the no 10 and Fer pushed back to play Jonno''s role alongside Tettey. Had CH done as you suggest and left only Tettey sitting and allowed Fer to continue joining in further up the park alongside Howson we may have had a better chance of cracking the defence. I agree that having one sitter and one breaker is key to evolving that midfield "hinge" system that successful teams play well. CH''s reticence to do this is a major reason why he''s considered negative.

Nutty

"I wouldn''t mind a little bet that RVW will score more goals from balls crossed into the box than from balls threaded through. That''s why the wide players are so important. Didn''t RVW state the intention of playing wingers and signing new ones a reason for him signing?"

Well he is certainly excellent in the air, nearly got one on Saturday and terrific header. Last week.

I also think he is looking for balls to run onto, he seems to be quick over 10 metres and has a good first touch to get it under control, give him the chances and he will undoubtedly get a lot of goals for us.