Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

Redmond

Michael Turner conceded a penalty when Hull player Elmohamady crossed into the box from a deep position wide on our left.Pause a recording at the moment when Elmohamady receives the ball. There isn''t any Norwich player anywhere near him and none even attempt to close him down. Elmohamady shouldn''t have been given all of that space and time to make the pass.Redmond is completely out of position stood towards the deep right-hand side of the pitch when he was supposed to be playing wide on the left.As has been shown in the first 2 matches, Redmond can''t get away with playing like that in the Premier League. Someone needs to have a word with Redmond about his positioning on the pitch.

My memory may be doing me a disservice, but my recollection is that he gave the ball away in the first place?

Give the lad a break he''s 19! Got a lot to learn but in all honesty looked our best player! At least he''s not scared of shooting and taking the ball to te opposition or beating a man!

It''s obviously the week part of his game, but it will be addressed with coaching and experience.

Would you drop him right now?

The annoying thing for me is Garrido is having to pick up his defensive slack but is getting slated everywhere for not doing that much wrong imo.

Perhaps playing Redmond off RvW in the no. 10 role would limit the risk of him leaving his team mates exposed? He looked good running at defences from a central position, but maybe that doesn''t maximise his ability. We should be looking to play our best players in their most natural positions, but a lot of them are injured, or we don''t know where their best positions are!

Wait til Pilks and Bassong (and Hooper) are back, and Snoddy hits his form from last year, and hopefully we''ll put some better performances in.

[quote user="Monty13"]

The annoying thing for me is Garrido is having to pick up his defensive slack but is getting slated everywhere for not doing that much wrong imo.[/quote]Yes, and a lot of the time Garrido was the only Norwich player wide on the left and he still managed to provide some crosses into the box, whereas Redmond didn''t.

[quote user="HampsteadCanary"]Perhaps playing Redmond off RvW in the no. 10 role would limit the risk of him leaving his team mates exposed? He looked good running at defences from a central position, but maybe that doesn''t maximise his ability. We should be looking to play our best players in their most natural positions, but a lot of them are injured, or we don''t know where their best positions are!

Wait til Pilks and Bassong (and Hooper) are back, and Snoddy hits his form from last year, and hopefully we''ll put some better performances in.[/quote]Unfortunately this is starting to become a little bit of a concern. We have had all summer to get these players fit and look to have failed. Didn''t Bassong and Pilkington have surgery at the start of the close season so they wouldn''t miss any games for us? Why are they not fit and ready to go at the start of the season? The starting 11 looked very off the pace for most of the match on Saturday, Hull were closing down far quicker and with more energy than we were, even though we had the extra man. Players fitness, both strength and stamina wise, are key in any professional sport. Little niggling injuries seem to be a problem already. This season so far, through injury, we either are or have missed Hooper, E Bennett, Snodgrass, Pilkington, and Bassong. All of these players are labeled as key and you would expect them to play a major role over the coming season, yet they have only played 135 minutes (I know we''ve only played 2 games but 22 X 90 equates to 1980 minutes, which means they''ve played less than 10% of total team time, and over a whole season that will be a problem) between them and the only one to have played 90 minutes is now out injured until after Christmas.Now people are going to say that we have been ''unlucky'' with injuries so far this season. My retort to that would be that ''lucky is good''. Keeping your best players fit is as important, possibly more so, than sending your team out with the correct tactics. After all what is the point in telling your team to bomb forwards in the last 15 minute because they are a goal down if they don''t have the fitness levels to respond to that request? There have been more than one team in the history of football that have struggled because of the excuse that they can''t keep their star players fit. This after all is why clubs now employ fitness coaches. Again, and please correct me if I am wrong, didn''t our fitness coach leave over the summer to go and join the previous manager at his new club? If so who has replaced them, Dr Josef Mengele? If our new fitness team are of a similar standard to the current 1st team coaches I think we could be in for a very looonnnggg season.

[quote user="The Frisbee Hyena"][quote user="HampsteadCanary"]Perhaps playing Redmond off RvW in the no. 10 role would limit the risk of him leaving his team mates exposed? He looked good running at defences from a central position, but maybe that doesn''t maximise his ability. We should be looking to play our best players in their most natural positions, but a lot of them are injured, or we don''t know where their best positions are!

Wait til Pilks and Bassong (and Hooper) are back, and Snoddy hits his form from last year, and hopefully we''ll put some better performances in.[/quote]Unfortunately this is starting to become a little bit of a concern. We have had all summer to get these players fit and look to have failed. Didn''t Bassong and Pilkington have surgery at the start of the close season so they wouldn''t miss any games for us? Why are they not fit and ready to go at the start of the season? The starting 11 looked very off the pace for most of the match on Saturday, Hull were closing down far quicker and with more energy than we were, even though we had the extra man. Players fitness, both strength and stamina wise, are key in any professional sport. Little niggling injuries seem to be a problem already. This season so far, through injury, we either are or have missed Hooper, E Bennett, Snodgrass, Pilkington, and Bassong. All of these players are labeled as key and you would expect them to play a major role over the coming season, yet they have only played 135 minutes (I know we''ve only played 2 games but 22 X 90 equates to 1980 minutes, which means they''ve played less than 10% of total team time, and over a whole season that will be a problem) between them and the only one to have played 90 minutes is now out injured until after Christmas.Now people are going to say that we have been ''unlucky'' with injuries so far this season. My retort to that would be that ''lucky is good''. Keeping your best players fit is as important, possibly more so, than sending your team out with the correct tactics. After all what is the point in telling your team to bomb forwards in the last 15 minute because they are a goal down if they don''t have the fitness levels to respond to that request? There have been more than one team in the history of football that have struggled because of the excuse that they can''t keep their star players fit. This after all is why clubs now employ fitness coaches. Again, and please correct me if I am wrong, didn''t our fitness coach leave over the summer to go and join the previous manager at his new club? If so who has replaced them, Dr Josef Mengele? If our new fitness team are of a similar standard to the current 1st team coaches I think we could be in for a very looonnnggg season.[/quote]Rant over and sorry for going so far off topic. BTW if there was a POTS award after 2 games I''d give it to Redmond.

Think Pilkington will be back in the team when he is fit, Not saying Redmond has been bad, far from it, its just i see his role being an impact player of the bench this season. Shows moments of brilliance but needs to be handled carefully and eased in.

Here are Redmond''s statistics from The KC Stadium:

– Played 73 minutes.

– Had 47 touches of the ball.

– Had 4 shots, more than any other player in the game.

– Was the only player in the game to hit the target more than once (2).

– Completed 93% of his passes.

– Completed double the amount of successful dribbles of any other player (4).

– Was fouled twice.

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/nathan-redmonds-weekend-performance-for-norwich/

Redmond should have picked up Coleman for Everton''s second but didn''t think he did a lot wrong at Hull. He''s a great attacking threat and looks the most likely to make breakthrough''s for us. Defensively he''s naive but at 19 that''s to be expected. He''ll learn. I just hope he''s not coached out of his attacking instincts while they implement some defensive discipline.

Who was the last left winger we had who was very very exciting going forward, yet often left the full back exposed. Darren something?

[quote user="Canary02 IV"]Redmond should have picked up Coleman for Everton''s second but didn''t think he did a lot wrong at Hull. He''s a great attacking threat and looks the most likely to make breakthrough''s for us. Defensively he''s naive but at 19 that''s to be expected. He''ll learn. I just hope he''s not coached out of his attacking instincts while they implement some defensive discipline.[/quote]Have a look at where Redmond was when Elmohamady put the ball in the box for the penalty. Shocking! Has anyone else seen it?

OH MY GOD!!!

A 19 YEAR OLD ATTACKING RIGHT WINGER IN HIS SECOND TOP FLIGHT GAME HAS TERRIBLE DEFENSIVE POSITIONING!!!

Quick, see if we can get a refund....

[quote user="Gingerpele"]OH MY GOD!!!

A 19 YEAR OLD ATTACKING RIGHT WINGER IN HIS SECOND TOP FLIGHT GAME HAS TERRIBLE DEFENSIVE POSITIONING!!!

Quick, see if we can get a refund....[/quote]

Lol

It wasn''t Redmond''s fault.

If you think it is, then I suggest you re-watch the penalty decision over and over again. Until you realise it wasn''t his fault at all. Yes he didn''t help, but it was in no way what so ever his fault.

Also the claim, whoever said it, that he should have picked up Coleman against Everton, well again, maybe. But Garrido wasn''t marking anyone and was 3 yards away from Coleman.

He''s being used a lot out of pure necessity right now. Once we''re at full strength I see him being used with more caution. I still hope we see a lot of him this season. He''s going to be big. Really big.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]It wasn''t Redmond''s fault.

If you think it is, then I suggest you re-watch the penalty decision over and over again. Until you realise it wasn''t his fault at all. Yes he didn''t help, but it was in no way what so ever his fault.

Also the claim, whoever said it, that he should have picked up Coleman against Everton, well again, maybe. But Garrido wasn''t marking anyone and was 3 yards away from Coleman.[/quote]Have a look where Redmond was when the pass was made for the penalty. He was on the wrong side of the pitch and should have been on our left helping to stop that ball into our box.

tom cavendish says "Someone needs to have a word with Redmond about his positioning on the pitch".

You picked up this point Tom so run with it. Suggest you pop up to Colney in the morning and take Redmond to one side and put him right.

I''m sure that wasn''t the only time he, or any other player were out of position when Hull attacked. There were probably Man.U and Chelsea players out of position at times tonight.

It happens. Redmond being on the right and not helping Garrido out (something many have pointed out he isn''t very good at doing even when in position, much like Huckerby) didn''t cause the goal. It didn''t cause Turner to needlessly grab the striker. It didn''t cause the referee to give a very soft penalty. He probably wouldn''t have made any difference if he were on the left.

He''s clearly got a license to roam. If you can''t understand players do that, you might want to update your knowledge of the game. Its something that occurs very regularly in the modern game, fluidity within the team. Its why its so funny when certain people obsess over formation...