Sign in to follow this  

In my honest opinion, Houghton has no choice but to play the first 11 against Bury and send the players out with the phrase "crucify them" ringing in their ears. After the appalling display at Hull our boys need to remember how to play attacking, penetrating football again, Bury present us with a lovely opportunity to obliterate a lower league team with an onslaught of goals. Nothing less than a win with a margin or 3 or more will do.

If he plays a second string, or we play a dour game (or God forbid, lose) then I give us no chance against Southampton on Saturday, who will be up for it having spent even more money than us over the transfer window. 

Bunn

Martin bennett bass olsson

Tettey howson hoolahan

Snoddy elmander pilks

Bass, olsson, pilks and snoddy need the mins because saturday i would go

Ruddy

Whittaker martin bass olsson

Snoddy johnson fer pilks

Hoolahan

RVW

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]

In my honest opinion, Houghton has no choice but to play the first 11 against Bury and send the players out with the phrase "crucify them" ringing in their ears. After the appalling display at Hull our boys need to remember how to play attacking, penetrating football again, Bury present us with a lovely opportunity to obliterate a lower league team with an onslaught of goals. Nothing less than a win with a margin or 3 or more will do.

[/quote]And in reality he will send out the second team with the phrase "Give it a good go lads but don''t worry if we lose, we tried" ringing in their ears. Then he''ll wax lyrical about how Bury are a great team and we''re lucky to play them and all things nice....

What happens when an over eager Bury player thinks.Time for me to make a name for myself and make that awesome goal saving tackle which will keep us in the game and be shown across the world on TV.... fluffs it up and goes two footed into RVW leaving us with Elmander and Becchio.

Fox and Ayala just start for under 21 squad same as twin''s Murphy''s so no chance for them to play Bury tmrw

Just back from the U21 game, lost 1 - 0 deserved more. Fulham pen conceded by Ayala.

Gafaiti, McNeil, Morris also played 90 today, so looks like none of the youngsters will feature.

So can we assume a reasonably strong side tomorrow??

My guess would be;

Bunn

Martin Bennett Bassong Olsson

Snodgrass Fer Johnson Pilkington

Elmander Becchio

With possibly an appearance from the bench for Hooper.

He needs to play some combinations tomorrow night so these players can start building the understanding that was patently lacking on Saturday. Hopefully Bass and Olsson will get a proper run out and I would play Fer and Howson in CM together as I see that as our main central midfield partnership this season. Play Elmander in front of them.

Strong team til the game is put to bed. Lets build some confidence and understanding. rotating the squad and playing players who will not feature on Saturday will achieve very little.

Jim Smith wrote - " rotating the squad and playing players who will not feature on Saturday will achieve very little."

There are only a few players in the Squad who don''t have a chance of playing our next league game. Fox and Ayala played today and it might be worth resting RvW and playing Becchio as the low-risk option.

Whoever plays, I''d like to see us opt for a ''Paul Lambert style'' and go all out for a resounding win.

However, back in the real world, I simply cannot see this happening.

I admit I remain affected by attending the Hull game - I took the family to the KC and it was awful. I wish we hadn''t bothered. No zip, no killer instinct - just a bunch of players going through the motions with the exception of trying to score. They completely missed the main objective of playing this beautiful game called football if you ask me!

Just back through the door from our 7 day hols in Yorkshire - binned the junk mail & opened a mass of letters. Before we left for that break I ordered 4 tickets for Bury tomorrow night. As my 7 year old went upstairs to bed I reminded him that we have another cup football game tomorrow night. "Hope we play better than against MK Dons & Luton then!" was his response. How sad to hear that. I sincerely hope the club realise the perception younger generations are forming regarding NCFC''s stance regarding cup games...

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Jim Smith wrote - " rotating the squad and playing players who will not feature on Saturday will achieve very little."

There are only a few players in the Squad who don''t have a chance of playing our next league game. Fox and Ayala played today and it might be worth resting RvW and playing Becchio as the low-risk option.[/quote]Giving Becchio a run out isn''t a bad call actually.

I would go with:

Bunn

Martin Bennett Bassong Olsson

Howson Fer

Snodgrass Elmander Pilkington

Becchio

I might also be tempted to try Redmond in the Wes role but he has played more than I suspect was anticipated over the last couple of weeks so maybe due a little rest. Maybe nice to get the Murphy''s on the pitch for a bit if things go well.

Not sure if Pilks is ready yet?

I would love to see a partnership of Olssen and Redmond down the left, when they played together preseason they gave us great attacking options with Olsson overlapping and putting in excellent crosses, and Redmond cutting inside.

Undoubtedly CH will be working with Redmond on the defensive side of his game, and if he can get that right the combination offers a really exciting prospect.

Unikely to see it in the short term at least I guess.