Sign in to follow this  
andyc24_uk

Would a change of Assistant Manager help?

Hughton seems to be a fantastic manager in many ways - on the coaching pitch, in the transfer market, and on the PR side of things, we couldn''t really do much better. However, he clearly doesn''t inspire the players from the sidelines the way other managers do, and he doesn''t seem to have the ability to realise when a game plan isn''t working and make the necessary changes.

Therefore, I''m increasingly convinced that what we really need is to keep Hughton, but move Calderwood to the backroom coaching staff and replace him with a more dynamic, talented assistant manager who isn''t afraid to give underperforming players an earful, and who is also willing to tell CH when things need to be shaken up a bit. It would probably need to be a younger manager or ex-player who both our players and Hughton respect...

When Hughton was appointed, the element of the whole setup that I wasn''t keen on from the outset was Colin Calderwood. I don''t rate him. Never have.

How could it be done without annoying Hughton himself? Wouldn''t it look like they are undermining him?

The perceived wisdom is that Collingwood and Trollope are somehow lacking but I wouldn''t know really.

How can anybody other than by guesswork?

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]The perceived wisdom is that Collingwood and Trollope are somehow lacking but I wouldn''t know really.

How can anybody other than by guesswork?[/quote]

I can''t imagine that a couple of failed League 2 managers offer us much tactically.

Infact I know they don''t because I watch us play every week.

"I can''t imagine that a couple of failed League 2 managers offer us much tactically."

He actually won promotion as manager of Northampton and then took Forest back to the Championship. Decent enough.

Not defending him because, as I said I don''t really know what he brings to the table, other than trhe fact that Hughton rates him enough to poach him from Hibs.

Not being critical either, especially as all criticism needs to be factually based.

Calderwood''s c.v. as a manager is especially uninspiring. Playing Grant Holt as a right winger and running him out of Nottm Forest was proven to be especially stupid. I think there could well be a parallel between that and the fact that Holty only lasted a year under the new regime. However, only the players and staff really know what goes on at Colney. For all we know Calderwood could be preaching a more expansive style and Hughton refusing to go with it.

Ultimately they came as a package and we have to judge them as such. Hughton fought very hard to bring Calderwood to Birmingham so any failings on Calderwood''s part fall under Hughton''s umbrella.

Hughton didnt poach him. He was his assistant at newcastle i think, hibs approached him for manager, he went there and was totaly awful and went back to being 1 of hughtons coaches when hibs sacked him. Trollope and Calderwood 2 failed managers

[quote user="Eadie4England"]Hughton didnt poach him. He was his assistant at newcastle i think, hibs approached him for manager, he went there and was totaly awful and went back to being 1 of hughtons coaches when hibs sacked him. Trollope and Calderwood 2 failed managers[/quote]

Ugh! Don''t really want defend him but neither do I feel a need to scapegoat him with inaccuracies:

"In June 2011, Birmingham City and Nottingham Forest both approached Hibs with a view to appointing Calderwood as their assistant manager Calderwood was sacked by Hibs on 6 November 2011, having won just 12 games out of 49."

Wiki.

Poor showing at Hibs, wanted by Forest and Brum for assistant though ...... some failure.

He is the manager, he must be given the authority to do things his way, to have his own people around him and will take the credit or the flack for our performance. You cant tinker with it, its all or nothing IMO

Ok we do not know what Calderwood brings to the party. But I would speculate that his tactical outlook is similar to Hoots.

That I would suggest is not ideal. Having someone to put forward alternative options would be better than someone who is likely to reinforce Hoots existing thoughts on tactics.

As has been said would be difficult to make a change without undermining Hoots, but perhaps Neil Adams could be given more of a role.

with Calderwood''s history as a manager, it''s understandable how many don''t "rate him".

But unless I''m mistaken Lambert use to big up everyone at the club... win a match was the players, and if they lost it was him.

When people glorified him as a manager, he use to deflect it towards the players and the rest of the coaching team.

So while the fans under-value Hughton''s team, the reality it''s probably they haven''t been acclaimed by our coach like Lambert did, and everyone thinks there somethings wrong with them. The truth very few managers have the confidence to praise the coaching staff.

[quote user="Canarygirl"]Back him or sack him![/quote]

Backing him Canary Girl.

But having another viewpoint really shouldn''t be a problem. Hoots can listen, its his choice as to whether he follows the advice.

As a manager, Trollope had a reputation for regularly praising the opposition before a game and boring negative football even against poorer opposition.

I''m backing him too Sussex, for the time being anyway, but any change of backroom staff must surely come from him, but before he can do that he must believe in his own mind that things are not working out, I very much doubt that thats where he is at the moment.

I am not even advocating a change in backroom staff Canary Girl. Just musing on a possibility to get an alternate opinion from an existing member of backroom staff. Might even be happening anyway for all we know.

Isn''t there a really positive ex-attacking player on the coaching staff at Colney now (even if only coaching the U16''s)? One who has recently just got some Euro Coaching badges. A certain Mr Huckerby? 

This thread is ridiculous

We do not know what Calderwood as assistant manager does nor do we know how well he meets his job description.

So you are judging him without knowing any of the facts. Because you don''t like him he must be bad at his job. What utter nonsense. I don''t know how good he is at City and nor do you!

One thing we do know is that it is Hughton and Tollope on the touch line making decisions and coaching the players not Calderwood.

Presumably those who want him out believe he controls Hughton by some form of telepathy. Or is it a remote on troll.

Ridiculous.

Slightly off topic, but as it was mentioned, Holt leaving had nothing to do with Calderwood. Any suggestion of this is putting 2+2 together because they worked together previously. Holt leaving this summer was in fact perfect for everyone involved, in all reality he was going to be sat on the bench and as our highest earner from last season (yes, more than Bassong) that is wasted money. He also wanted as he mentioned to move closer to home, security of a three year deal, and also wasn’t a fan of last years tactics which didn’t play to his strength.

People mentioned Holts weight last season, firstly the metrics used under Lambert focused on BMI and body fat whereas under Hughton it was purely on weight. People might also remember a prolonged period where Kamara was starting ahead of Holt, the reason behind this was that Holt who was back to the same weight/build of the previous season came back 5 pounds heavier after an international break.

I cannot speak about Calderwood directly, but I can say that the atmosphere in the squad was better and the training was more professional under Hughton than Lambert.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]When Hughton was appointed, the element of the whole setup that I wasn''t keen on from the outset was Colin Calderwood. I don''t rate him. Never have.[/quote]

Totally agree. Unfortunately when a manager is appointed you get the whole team, no matter how inept they are. Move Calderwood out altogether and appoint a new head coach.

Bit of a contradiction. If the management come as a team then they should go as a team.

[quote user="JC"]People mentioned Holts weight last season, firstly the metrics used under Lambert focused on BMI and body fat whereas under Hughton it was purely on weight.[/quote]Pretty damn scary if that''s true JC.Without using something like BMI to establish HOW the weight is distributed, you can''t make a fair judgment.Let''s say Holt converted some body fat into muscle mass, then his weight would have gone up, leading to an incorrect conclusion that he''d simply put weight on (using the Hughton system), whereas with the BMI check, we''d have seen that it was a positive conversion of fat into muscle instead of him eating too many pies...